*Guess the Movie Title*

Started by arj0n, Fri 29/07/2011 13:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

Cherry Pie Eating Contest IV: Revenge of the Yuppies.

Armageddon

Kasander

I'd say Baron is closest to the answer in a way, but it's not a sequel. Let's see what you make of this:

miguel

Working on a RON game!!!!!

Gribbler

No, it must be prequel to the Last Crusade. Look at the shelves and the vast collection of Grails to choose from. It's obvious - the knight guarding is still young.

miguel

If only I could have a zoomed image of that porcelain dog...

Kasander

:-D Instead of that the cute porcelain dog, let me entertain you with the sight of the most gruesome and fearless creature:

I'm on holidays until the 1st of May and I have limited access to wifi here. The above screenshot is from the trailer. HINT: As you see, this movie is subtitled.

I have to tell you thet Eric PMed me on Friday (I think) and he guessed the name of the movie. He was humble enough to not want to take his turn again so soon after he had guessed the previous movie. Well, if nobody guesses this until tomorrow, I'll gladly nominate Eric as the next in turn;) And if he wouldn't want to take over, then I guess its up to anybody who posts his/her movie first. After all we don't want to stall this awesome thread, do we? ;)

Baron

Quote from: Kasander on Sun 28/04/2013 10:46:07
After all we don't want to stall this awesome thread, do we? ;)

Dogtooth (Kynodontas).  But I had to cheat to guess it  (by the way Wikipedia's plot summary suggests that you have a messed-up taste in movies.)

Snarky

It's really rare that I leave a movie theater feeling like I've had a powerful experience (last time was probably Tree of Life), but seeing Kynodontas was one of those times. In terms of leaving an impression, it's probably the best film I've seen in the last decade. (Still didn't recognize the screencaps, though.)

selmiak

really? Kynodontas didn't work on me, I was just bored. Maybe I was not ready for it yet though... *adds film to rewatch list*

Baron

Maybe it's just that I have kids....  I seriously found the plot summary disturbing.

Anyway, since no one is telling me I'm wrong, let's move this competition on to sunnier moments in cinematic history:

Bonus marks if you give the quote that goes along with this scene.

Kasander

Quote from: Baron on Fri 03/05/2013 02:23:51
Quote from: Kasander on Sun 28/04/2013 10:46:07
After all we don't want to stall this awesome thread, do we? ;)

Dogtooth (Kynodontas).  But I had to cheat to guess it  (by the way Wikipedia's plot summary suggests that you have a messed-up taste in movies.)
Hey Baron, you shouldn't believe in everything that Wikipedia says, y'know. I'd rather call my taste broad ;) I've yet to show you the REALLY messed-up flicks in this thread.

Aaaaand of course you're correct, the movie title is Kynodontas (Dogtooth). Nevermind the cheating, it's your turn now  8-)

Quote from: Snarky
It's really rare that I leave a movie theater feeling like I've had a powerful experience (last time was probably Tree of Life), but seeing Kynodontas was one of those times. In terms of leaving an impression, it's probably the best film I've seen in the last decade. (Still didn't recognize the screencaps, though.)

Kynodontas was definitely one of the few best movies I saw last year. EDIT: I remember that my fiancee loved it too, especially the name-switching thing;)

Buckethead

It's Top Sescret. "I'm sorry, I don't speak German..." "I know a little German, He's sitting right over there". Did have to google the quote.

Eric

Quote from: Baron on Fri 03/05/2013 23:28:02
Maybe it's just that I have kids....  I seriously found the plot summary disturbing.

Dogtooth is disturbing, but artfully made. A Serbian Film is the one I'll never watch after reading the summary.

Baron

Quote from: Buckethead on Sat 04/05/2013 15:53:44
It's Top Sescret. "I'm sorry, I don't speak German..." "I know a little German, He's sitting right over there". Did have to google the quote.

Buckethead, you are correct.  He he...  I know a little German....  Anyway, Buckethead's turn.

Kasander

Quote from: Eric on Sat 04/05/2013 16:20:11
Dogtooth is disturbing, but artfully made. A Serbian Film is the one I'll never watch after reading the summary.

Oh yeah. Now, that one was a disturbing movie made by messed-up people.

The 'purpose' gap between these two films is huge, IMO it's the gap between sincerity and humanism and the most worthless and pointless kind of nihilism.
Dogtooth is an artfully made film about a man setting boundaries to constrain his  family. Puting it bluntly, the director's purpose was 'to make a film about freedom'.

A Serbian Film's  problem is, as I see it, that it serves no purpose except this one: to push boundaries of what can be shown on screen. It really bugs me how well it was made. You think yourself, the directing is good, the cinemathography is very good, the acting is convincing, but why was this movie made in the first place, why did all those people agree to take part in this? I doubt if even the writer/director himself could answer this. I bet he would say something along the lines: 'I wanted to show the protagonist's journey to the heart of darkness in order to prove how dark human nature is and how ruthless the world is. Even the filmmakers, we're no better than the worst of scum'.

The point is, this film has no other purpose than pushing boundaries, and when it comes to shocking value itself, it's actually pretty silly. The fact of filming the scene of raping the newborn - it's just so over the top - I mean, how far can you get until one starts to smile at the absurdity of what is being shown on screen? Of course, it's all faked, the newborn is fake, the genitals are fake, the camera cleverly avoids showing the 'key points' of the view in all of the 'controversial' scenes. And since you know it's all about faking and pretending, you can breathe with a sign of relief and then smile with disbelief at the sheer, undistilled idiocy of the filmmakers.

No feature film, no matter how shocking or unsettling it would be can rival the real life. Real events, real non-pretending people... like, for example, shown in documentaries. Holocaust documentaries, Mondo documentaries, and all those 'good-for-nothing-but-pure-shock-docs' like Faces of Death'* and its clones, they make all the 'Serbian Films' of this world seem childish. You know, like burping and farting out loud in the middle of a job interview.   

Hmmm... Come to think of it, both films' directors were journeying to the heart of darkness.

I could say, Kynodontas' director went deep in to the dark jungle of human soul; then, after long search, he found some light amidst its 'gloom and doom'. As we saw in the movie, the boundaries set by the dictator can't last forever, because one day his subjects will revolt, grasping for freedom. So a cinephile like me eagerly anticipates that in his next movie Mr Lanthimos will tell us something more about freedom, or perhaps about another aspect of human nature...   

Similarly, A Serbian Film's director went deep into the dark jungle of human soul - but he was looking for the dark caves. After getting into the darkest one (quite f*****g dark, really), he went down, down to where the flashlights refuse to give light, and further down, all the way down... till he found himself drowning in the stinking pool of blood, guts and shit. 
So the question from a cinephile like me to a director like him would be: 'How long can you hold your breath, champ?'

PS: Damn, did I just write an essay or what? It is strange and unsettling how bad movies are able to provoke probably much more brainstorming among the audiences than in filmmakers' heads. A Serbian Film certainly isn't worth all the fuss. From every point of view, it's just a waste of time.

EDIT: *I guess it's very inappropriate of me to put Holocaust documentaries, especially the major ones like Shoah or Marcel Ophuls films in one sentence with shock-doc crap like Faces of Death. I would strongly advise people to watch the former and stay away from the later ones :)

Buckethead

I kind of forgot about this. Hopefully no one was really waiting for this too much:

Armageddon

miguel

Are those Ingrid Bergman's boobs?
If so, the movie is Red Sonja.

waheela

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk