*Guess the Movie Title*

Started by arj0n, Fri 29/07/2011 13:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

I like all of Jeunet's films. It's Caro with whom I have issues. I'm pretty excited about The Young and Prodigious Spivet.

Ben X

Tramponline, wild guess: The Two Jakes.

Tramponline

Nice one, but no.

That's neither Nicholson nor Keitel in this shot, though the protagonists might've gas from time to time - not sure though :tongue:.
It's quite a few years older than the Jakes...

Here it is once more so you don't have to go back to the previous page all the time:

Igor Hardy

Another wild guess: The Real McCoy?

Tramponline

You mean the one with Basinger? Then nope.

That one was realeased 3 yeares AFTER "The Two Jakes"...

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Tramponline on Sun 19/05/2013 23:12:31
You mean the one with Basinger? Then nope.

Errr... In that case I meant the other one! Is that it?

Tramponline

Nope! None of them is the real McCoy! :wink:

Another one then...

That's the dude, that was neither Nicholson nor Keitel in the previous shot...

Igor Hardy

Yeah, I was already pretty sure it's Jack Lemmon in that first photo - unmistakable cheekbones. But I still don't know what film of his is this.

Tramponline

Quote from: Ascovel on Mon 20/05/2013 17:56:15
Yeah, I was already pretty sure it's Jack Lemmon in that first photo - unmistakable cheekbones. But I still don't know what film of his is this.
HEheheee, nice one Ascovel, didn't see that one before!! During a certain period quite permissible to imagine they're one and the same though! :grin:

Yeah, I was hoping that came through, he has got a very 'distinct' profile...

hint: The most serious & menacing you will ever see Jack L...W. Matthau on screen... :tongue: 

Eric

Quote from: Tramponline on Mon 20/05/2013 17:57:46hint: The most serious & menacing you will ever see Jack L...W. Matthau on screen... :tongue: 

The most menacing he is off-screen is Charade. The way he
Spoiler

kills James Coburn
[close]
in that film is horrifying.

Tramponline

Good point, Eric! Let's say he has a certain brooding menacing quality in the one in question. By the way, you must know that movie. I know that
for a fact! :wink: (don't want to stall the thread for too long...)

Correction:
Quote from: Tramponline on Mon 20/05/2013 17:57:46
hint: The most 2nd or 3rdest most serious & menacing you will ever see Jack L...W. Matthau on screen... :tongue:
by that hint dropping dude below!v v v :cheesy:

Eric

I will just say that you've dern it again, and leave the actual answer for someone else!

Ben X

I'm getting very confused here, so I'm going to guess Taking Of Pelham 123.

Tramponline

Almost spot on - concerning the year of release.

It's a good movie, but it is REALLY not that well known.

I wouldn't even consider it unfair to consult IMDb.com in this case...

Hint: The book this movie is based on was written by a Swedish couple of crime fiction writers. In it's adaptation
however the setting was changed to some major metropolis in the US. (Clint Eastwood escaped from some famous prison island over there, in some
totally unrelated movie. :tongue:)

Edit: Also, check Eric's godawful spelling(!) in the post above. Good hint!

Ben X

Quote from: Tramponline on Mon 20/05/2013 22:38:17
I wouldn't even consider it unfair to consult IMDb.com in this case...

That plus the character name gives me... An Investigation Of MURDER.

Snarky

Hmmm... Sjöwall & Wahlöö suggests...

The Laughing Policeman?

Tramponline

Absolutely, Snarky! That's it.
A gritty urban police procedural film with a great bunch of characters. Quite cynical & "honest", in a sense that the protagonists are as clueless as the viewer at times and you see
them following up on many dead-end leads. In certain key scenes it almost feels like an "American Giallo" for some reason (yeah, I know, I'm an oxy-moron! :tongue:), but it fits the overall mood of the movie to the point.) Watch it if you can...

EDIT: Dang, sorry bbX1138! Seems like you guessed it first! Stupid alternative titles, it's the same movie:
"The Laughing Policeman" aka "An Investigation of a Murder" (<-- which kind of moron thought that was a good alternative title for that film!!! :angry:)
Sorry Snarky! Blame the international releases! :)

Yep, your go bbX1138!

Snarky

Edit: Ah fuck not again!

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Tramponline on Tue 21/05/2013 14:25:14
"The Laughing Policeman" aka "An Investigation of a Murder" (<-- which kind of moron thought that was a good alternative title for that film!!! :angry:)

Probably because I likely wouldn't ever watch a movie called "The Laughing Policeman". But "An Investigation of a Murder" sounds better (although still sounds a bit cheesy).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk