AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: Kweepa on Sat 04/07/2015 15:56:32
Since no-one seems to mind clues tossed in from left field:
Bumbling policeman to marry in Wales, initially decreased without proposition or preposition. (5,5) (AGS related)

Anyone attempting this and need clues? :=

A clue or two would be very nice! I've tried several approaches but nothing worked so far...

Kweepa

What have you tried so far?
I could do the old bold/strikeout markup.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Baron

Well, I've tried a couple times but nothing really made sense....

Spoiler
I was thinking "bumbling policeman" meant Inspector Gadget, Inspector Clouseau or Detective Frank Drebin, and "to marry in Wales" meant to get together, but be all mixed up.  "Initially decreased" probably means take away part of the beginning.  "Without proposition" throws me, but probably refers to a proposal or business plan or something.  "Without preposition" means subtract a word relating location, most obviously "in", but it could be near, on, under, next to, behind, etc.

But all this got me exactly nowhere, even comically, so I refrained from posting.... :P
[close]

Kweepa

Spoiler
I was thinking "bumbling policeman" meant Inspector Gadget, Inspector Clouseau or Detective Frank Drebin, and "to marry in Wales" meant to get together, but be all mixed up.  "Initially decreased" probably means take away part of the beginning.  "Without proposition" throws me, but probably refers to a proposal or business plan or something"Without preposition" means subtract a word relating location, most obviously "in", but it could be near, on, under, next to, behind, etc.
[close]

Stupot

Spoiler
My thoughts were that 'bumbling policeman' could be a cop's name that starts with a 'b', as in a bumble bee.
I believe that 'Wales, initially' means that one of the words begins with a 'W' (this is a cryptic crossword staple).
Also, the 'proposal' bit makes me think it contains 'wed' somewhere?
[close]
..but that's all I've got.

Baron

Bumbling policeman to marry in Wales, initially decreased without proposition or preposition. (5,5) (AGS related)

Spoiler

Bumbling = incompetent
policeman = cop
to marry = wed
Wales initially = baby (they always wail at first.  Wussies....:P )
without proposition = subtract a proposal
without preposition = subtract into

So, "incompetent" - "into" = cmpeent, and cmpeent + cop +wed -wed (the proposal :P) = "cmpeentcop", which unscrambled is "Compt Pence", the impoverished Anglo-Norse aristocrat! ;-D
[close]

Kweepa

Stupot:
Spoiler
My thoughts were that 'bumbling policeman' could be a cop's name that starts with a 'b', as in a bumble bee.
I believe that 'Wales, initially' means that one of the words begins with a 'W' (this is a cryptic crossword staple).
Also, the 'proposal' bit makes me think it contains 'wed' somewhere?
[close]
:=

Baron:
Spoiler

Bumbling = incompetent
policeman = cop
to marry = wed
Wales initially = baby (they always wail at first.  Wussies....:P )
without proposition = subtract a proposal
without preposition = subtract in,to

So, "incompetent" - "into" = cmpeent, and cmpeent + cop +wed -wed (the proposal :P) = "cmpeentcop", which unscrambled is "Compt Pence", the impoverished Anglo-Norse aristocrat! ;-D
[close]

More clues:
Spoiler

Bumbling policeman is a clue to the whole thing
initially decreased means modify first letter
proposition is filler (because of marry)
[close]

Mandle

Okay what I have worked out from the clues:
Spoiler
The answer is maybe:
_ _ _ _ _ Wales

This comes from knowing that the "in" and "to" must be removed from the initial clue because they are prepositions and also knowing to remove "marry" because it's a proposition...

Remember also that the first letter of the "Bumbling policeman"'s name probably must be removed to add up to 5 letters...Hence the dude's name has 6 letters...

Just my theory of course...
[close]

Kweepa

Mandle:
Spoiler
The answer is maybe:
_ _ _ _ _ Wales

This comes from knowing that the "in" and "to" must be removed from the initial clue because they are prepositions and also knowing to remove "marry" because it's a proposition...

Remember also that the first letter of the "Bumbling policeman"'s name probably must be removed to add up to 5 letters...Hence the dude's name has 6 letters...

Just my theory of course...
[close]

Stupot

Spoiler
to marry in Wales
- in
- to
= Marry Wales
Decrease initially
Move M down one letter in the alphabet = L
And
Move W down to make V

=
Larry Vales :=
[close]

Kweepa

Mandle

OMG well done Stupot and thanks for the puzzle Kweepa...

That was a really interesting one and took quite a team effort!

Kweepa

Baron

Test pin shit like crazy (10)

AGS Related.

small hint:
Spoiler
It'll make more sense if your answer is in the same font as the clue. :)
[close]

Kweepa

Spoiler

Some thoughts...
The whole thing is "test" or "test pin" or "crazy"...
It's an anagram of "test pin shit" or "pin shit like" with a letter removed or two letters combined because of the font somehow...
Or an anagram of synonyms of "test pin shit" or "pin shit"...
Somehow "Trebuchet" is related, or the curved 'l's of the font, or the 'i's...
That's all I've got.
[close]

Baron

Not bad for a first stab....

Quote from: Kweepa on Sat 11/07/2015 00:01:08
Spoiler

Some thoughts...
The whole thing is "test" or "test pin" or "crazy"...

It's an anagram of "test pin shit" or "pin shit like" with a letter removed or two letters combined because of the font somehow...
Or an anagram of synonyms of "test pin shit" or "pin shit"...
Somehow "Trebuchet" is related, or the curved 'l's of the font, or the 'i's...
That's all I've got.
[close]

AnasAbdin

If correct: Thanks to Kweepa ;)
If not: Thanks to Kweepa ;)

Spoiler
Hints & Tips ?
[close]

Kweepa

Spoiler

Ah yes, Hints et Tips
The font doesn't help much...?
[close]

Baron

Correct. ;-D

Spoiler
The ampersand "&" character is just a ligature of e + t for the Latin et, meaning "and".  But it's hard to see the direct descent in most fonts.  In Trebuchet, however, you can see the Et more clearly: &.  See here for more detail.
[close]

AnasAbdin

Oh Baron you are too complicated for us :P

No Vampires Come Near Him (11)

AGS related

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk