Sinitrena

Well, I wasted a perfectly good wildcard yesterday. :~(

4-Jul   France 2 - 2 Germany
4-Jul   Brazil 3 - 2 Columbia
5-Jul   Argentina 2 - 0 Belgium
5-Jul   Netherlands 3 - 1 Costa Rica

Haggis

What... a... tournament.

With my wife being from the US they were my second team this year and last night they provided me with the heroic failure of a knockout stage defeat that was robbed from me by England. I'll be down at Sixfields next season dressed in my Teddy Goalsevelt outfit chanting 'I believe...'. Ridicule and abuse will no doubt follow.

4-Jul   France 1 - 1 Germany
4-Jul   Brazil 2 - 1 Columbia
5-Jul   Argentina 1 - 1 Belgium
5-Jul   Netherlands 2 - 0 Costa Rica *wild card* (this is a gamble but costa rica's luck has to run out!)

Cassiebsg

4-Jul   France 0 - 0 Germany
4-Jul   Brazil 2 - 1 Columbia
5-Jul   Argentina 2 - 0 Belgium
5-Jul   Netherlands 1 - 1 Costa Rica
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Baron

Quarter-finals
Jul-04        1700   France 2 vs 1 Germany
Jul-04        2100   Brazil 2 vs 2 Colombia
Jul-05        1700   Argentina 1 vs 1 Belgium
Jul-05        2100   Netherlands 2 vs 0 Costa Rica

cat

Quarter-finals
Jul-04        1700 France 0 vs 1 Germany
Jul-04        2100 Brazil 1 vs 1 Colombia
Jul-05        1700 Argentina 1 vs 0 Belgium
Jul-05        2100 Netherlands 2 vs 1 Costa Rica

What was that with all the draws in the previous round? They really have to work for their money (120').

Stupot

Yeah good point. I counted 8 draws in the first 48 games and then 5 in the next 8.
That's a jump from 1/6 to 5/8 which is actually quite a big jump.
If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd wonder if there wasn't some sort of backstage shenanigans going on, making the games last longer. After all, longer games means longer exposure time for the sponsors logos and presumably that equals more money for Fifa.... Hmmm

tzachs

Going for even more draws...

Jul-04        1700 France 1 - 1 Germany
Jul-04        2100 Brazil 1 - 1 Columbia
Jul-05        1700 Argentina 0 - 0 Belgium
Jul-05        2100 Netherlands 1 - 0 Costa Rica *Wildcard*

selmiak

4-Jul   France 1 - 1 Germany
4-Jul   Brazil 1 - 0 Columbia
5-Jul   Argentina 0 - 0 Belgium
5-Jul   Netherlands 1 - 0 Costa Rica

how did I end up losing 8 points?
And I somehow missed what the wildcard does and how many you have, anyone still remember where in the thread this is?

Stupot

Hi Selmiak.  The 8 point deductions are just from predictions that were not received or too late. You had missed those two early ones, then I had no predictions for the 4 games on the 23rd, then on the 24th you gave me that nice long list but the first two games on it were nearly finished at the time you posted them so I couldn't include them. Sorry dude.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=50576.msg636491286#msg636491286

As for the wildcards, everybody gets only one, and it wins you 5 bonus points for a correct 'result' and 10 for a correct 'score'. Just tell me which game you want to be your wildcard. It can be one you've already predicted today or any future game.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=50576.msg636491442#msg636491442

P.S. Thanks Selmiak and Tzachs and everyone. All quarter-final predictions are in. This time tomorrow we'll know our first two semi-finalists.

Stupot

Way to go Vincent! 12 points for the day.
Also well done to Haggis, Cassie and Cat for securing 6 points each.

How were the games? I was sound asleep during them.

Still nobody's wildcards have proven fruitful. I also wasted my own.

Excuse the big gap on the spreadsheet between Tzachs and Cassie. My finger slipped and I inadvertently inserted 7 columns, and I can't undo the action in this phone app, so I have to wait till I get to a real computer to undo it.  Doesn't seem to have affected the maths though :-)

miguel

Quote from: DoorKnobHandle on Wed 02/07/2014 10:00:16
Quote from: Intense Degree on Wed 02/07/2014 09:55:54
People say that other leagues can't keep up with the pace of the premier league...

Are you talking about the English Premier League? Because if so, then I'm pretty sure the only people that would say that are English! ;)

Apart from having too many teams on their own Premier League, British teams (if they qualify) have to play their league games, 2 internal cup games and also European matches. Well that's no more matches than the Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and the list goes on through all championships of UEFA. I think that everybody that follows football knows that the Premiere League  is the most fast-paced league in the...well, world. At the same time it is a fact that faster teams don't necessary win competitions.
1983-84, Liverpool won the European Cup and it took 15 other years for Manchester United to win it. Liverpool got it back in 2005 and then both Man U and Chelsea have won it. So, that's 5 Champions League titles in 30 years.
In my opinion English football is overrated in "quality" although its appeal and wonder is undeniable. It's crazy the amount of money it's paid over there for players that earn 20 times less in their original clubs.   
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Stupot

Fast-paced doesn't always equal quality, but it usually equals excitement.  I don't think the whole league is that fast paced really... Maybe once upon a time, but these days teams are increasingly too careful when they take the lead so rather than going for more goals they just dig their heels in, bring in more defenders and pass to each other for the rest of the game, killing any pace or excitement, while the team who are behind start flopping about and rolling around trying desperately to get a penalty or free kick. It's sad to see and I've become increasingly bored of English football the past few years now.

That said, there is usually enough decent material to make it worth watching Match of the Day on a Saturday night, but I'm less inclined to sit through a whole game these days unless it's a big derby or relegation battle.

Vincent

Way to go Vincent! 12 points for the day.

Ciao Stupot+ , we're almost there
I should still play my wildcard :)

How were the games? I was sound asleep during them.

Really great match last night from Seleção !!!!
There was an amazing goal from David Luiz to free kick, I would recommend you to watch it if you have not already done

Unfortunately, I have not seen the game of germany :-\
But they are just a GREAT team

Stupot

Well played Khris. Full-house for the day.
Also well done again to Cat for another 6.
And well done to me! For being the only player so far to benefit from his or her wildcard. Only the 5 but it brings me out of the "relegation zone" for now, finally :-D

tzachs

What a terrible round for me! 0 out of 4!
And to think I was one goal away from getting the correct results for each of those matches...

Oh well...

8-Jul   Brazil 0 - 1 Germany
9-Jul   Netherlands 1 - 0 Argentina

Cassiebsg

Uhm, this is hard now... I would like to bias and say Germany runs with the title, on the other hand I would rather see Brazil get it...
Now there's 4 great teams, and I have no idea about how the games will/can turn out.

Anyways...
8-Jul   Brazil 1 - 1 Germany
9-Jul   Netherlands 0 - 1 Argentina
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Haggis

This is amazing - the final could potentially be two of the big rivalries! Net Vs Ger or Bra vs Arg!

Predictions below:

8-Jul   Brazil 1 - 1 Germany
9-Jul   Netherlands 2 - 1 Argentina

CaptainD

8-Jul   Brazil 1 - 2 Germany
9-Jul   Netherlands 3 - 1 Argentina

cat

Jul-08        2100 Brazil 0 vs 1 Germany
Jul-09        2100 Netherlands 1 vs 1 Argentina

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk