Name the Game

Started by frenzykitty, Wed 17/04/2013 17:17:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Danvzare

Mandle

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 08/11/2016 14:43:15
This is looks very much like Unreal (1?) Engine HUD  there on the last screenshot.

Well spotted. The game was a mod of the game Unreal Tournament, and so was indeed running on the Unreal engine. I never played the original Unreal but I assume they used leftover assets from Unreal to build the HUD if it looks that similar. As UT was built directly on top on Unreal there were tons of unused artifacts from the original game still in the code, and you could access them through the editor. So you could bring all the old monsters, weapons, etc, from the old game into the newer game. It was tons of fun tracking down the old assets. Ahhhh: the good old days...

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 08/11/2016 15:47:33
Tactical Ops?

Well done! The game is indeed Tactical Ops, or Tac-Ops as it was usually known. It was hard to find screenshots of the original mod version. They were mostly of the shitty "Tac-Ops: Assault On Terror" commercial version. The original is still available for download as a mod (you need to also have UT to run it) but last time I checked a few years back there were no multiplayer servers running and trying to create a server didn't work either. So it was only possible to play against bots, which got boring very fast. Maybe one day...sigh...

Over to you Danvzare!

Danvzare

When CW mentioned that it looked like the Unreal HUD, that's what finally allowed me to track this game down.
Such a shame what happened to a game with so much potential.

[imgzoom]http://orig12.deviantart.net/66ad/f/2016/314/4/2/name_the_game_screenshot_18_by_danvzare-danxbec.png[/imgzoom]
Let's see if anyone can guess this great game.

Danvzare

But it isn't Thief. (laugh)

Kumpel

Is it a fan game? This is clearly the Dark Engine, isn't it?

Danvzare

Quote from: Kumpel on Wed 09/11/2016 17:03:56
Is it a fan game? This is clearly the Dark Engine, isn't it?
The Dark Engine? Seriously?
The Dark Engine does NOT support bump mapping. There isn't even a mod to get bump mapping onto the Dark Engine. Believe me, I've tried.

CaptainD

I can't get my head around the perspective of that screenshot, but somehow it does look vaguely familiar.  Not entirely sure what genre it is, maybe something like And Then There Were None?

Danvzare

Amayirot Akago

I believe what Kumpel meant was The Dark Mod ;) In case he misspoke I'll gladly pass my turn to him.
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Danvzare

Well you're right in that it's The Dark Mod (great game by the way), I'm not sure if Kumpel misspelled it though. ???
If you did, sorry. :~(

Kumpel

Nope. I didn't misspell it. I just missed the fact, that this is way too good graphicwise, to be the nearly twenty year old dark engine... Amayirot hit the nail with Dark Mod.

(Also I am out of ideas atm, which game to post next)

His turn. (Or anyone's who wants to jump in)

Amayirot Akago

Well then, guess I'll take my turn after all.
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Mandle

Gurok

[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Amayirot Akago

Danvzare

Heretic or Heretic 2?

Amayirot Akago

Very good, Danvzare :D Heretic II indeed.

Danvzare

Ah Heretic II, such a great game.
I used to watch my sister play it, years ago. But she never did complete it
I'm kind of surprised I was right though.

I threw Heretic 1 in my guess simply because I've never seen that one, and I figured it could be similar to its sequel.

[imgzoom]http://orig08.deviantart.net/636d/f/2016/318/c/9/name_the_game_screenshot_20_by_danvzare-daod97t.png[/imgzoom]
Oh am I evil for making you guess this game. (laugh)

selmiak

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk