The Game Idea Thread

Started by Oddysseus, Tue 11/12/2007 01:13:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrus

DELETED POST

Eggie

A 3D racing game called "Drive Safely" set at Victorioa Stiffington's Reform School For Wayward Drivers. The object of the game is to drive safely. Crossing the finish line first is irrelevant if you take unnecessary risks you must DRIVE SAFELY!

The catch? Every single course is loaded with incredibly fun ways to smash your car into a barely moving twisted scrap-heap. Ramps, loops, underwater segments, giant drops, giant snails, giant drinking straws that suck you into whirling blade fans; basically everything fun.

The way I see there's two ways to play it; either basically throw your hands up and say "Okay, here's the joke!" and put up a big 'wall of shame' for the least safe drivers, make the x-box achievements be Stiffington's demerits etc or play it straight, offer no reward for pulling off the insane stunts and make it a pure study of the question "How important to you is winning if losing is more fun?"

I think it's an important message the kids of today need to hear.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Losing is fun as an important message for kids?

I don't know about that.  Do we really want our children to think that losing is better than winning so achievement is thrown out the door?  People around the world are already reaching almost terminal levels of laziness, do we want go-getters to become the new 'nerd' class while other people are satisfied with failure?

The 'drive safely' angle is fine, but then you go into how losing is somehow better than winning and it just seems to confuse the issue.  If the object of the game is to teach safe driving then reward them for safe driving, not for 'racing'.  If the object is to race, then either award them for a)winning or b)causing insane mayhem on the race track like other games I've played that rate vehicular destruction higher than race times...but de-emphasizing winning in favor of a loser mindset as a 'message' for kids?  

Eggie

It's a device I'm employing called 'silliness'

TomatoesInTheHead

I like the idea (and silliness). The "losing is more fun than winning" scheme is implemented in some games already: think about Lemmings, isn't it more fun to let them all commit suicide? (which gives you a bad highscore or lets you not win the level)
And I think there are some games where it's possible to drive over or shoot people you were supposed to rescue, and if you do it for fun, you (sometimes even instantly) lose the game.
Sim City let you ruin your city with disasters, only for fun.

darrkchylde

game wheree you play as meduasa and haveta get a haircut

Cyrus

NickyNyce

This was mentioned already but I'll say it again just in case it gets someone to nibble and decide to make it....Cube(1997)

I would love to try an make this game but fear I am not ready for such a project even if it is a short one. So someone pleaseeeeeee make ....Cube 

Eggie

Quote from: Eggie on Sun 01/08/2010 16:28:30
A sidescrolling platformer where you play as a piece of graffiti running across the city; it came to me thinking about how nice 3D engines do brick walls with all the nice bumps and crevices and slippery rain effects and how cool animated 2D graffiti art would look juxtaposed with it.

I am going to SUE!!

blueskirt

Quote from: Eggie on Wed 07/03/2012 21:09:30
Quote from: Eggie on Sun 01/08/2010 16:28:30
A sidescrolling platformer where you play as a piece of graffiti running across the city; it came to me thinking about how nice 3D engines do brick walls with all the nice bumps and crevices and slippery rain effects and how cool animated 2D graffiti art would look juxtaposed with it.

I am going to SUE!!

Whoa, now that is weird.

Oh, I had an idea, a FMV adventure game, but instead of humans, characters are played by plushies and puppets.

Bonus points if you get your child or younger brother/sister to write the plot.

Double bonus points if you get a plush Tex Murphy cameo.

Construed

I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes.
Then I met the man with no feet.

Cyrus

A classic adventure game (DOTT or CMI/Discworld II visual style) which can be finished by a single action (clicking on a specific hotspot, using a specific inventory item on a specific on-screen object, etc.), but the action is pretty non-obvious. At the same time, the game has LOTS of red herring items, useless locations, characters you can talk to, puzzles you can try to solve without result and so on. I believe this could be the next experimental game evolution stage after Rip Van Bubsy.

Radiant

Quote from: Cyrus on Mon 09/07/2012 10:21:15
A classic adventure game (DOTT or CMI/Discworld II visual style) which can be finished by a single action (clicking on a specific hotspot, using a specific inventory item on a specific on-screen object, etc.), but the action is pretty non-obvious.
I know one game that qualifies, a text adventure called Slouching Towards Bedlam. One of the better endings is reached if you start the game by
Spoiler
killing yourself immediately
[close]

EchosofNezhyt

Someone make a awesome western.

Cyrus

DELETED POST

Crimson Wizard

I was a bit nostalgic and reviewed some of the ancient threads I participated in, and I found this:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=37559.msg494100#msg494100

I remember there was some TCP/IP plugin? Would it be possible to make anything like that?

Now, if we remove the multiplayer aspect and decide to stick to ole good single-player, here's another way to implement that idea.
First the criminal plays the game and commits the crime, then a data file is saved and passed to another player who starts the game as detective, loads that data file and will have to find clues left by criminal player.

geork

A detective game where you will never know if you really got the right guy (you can arrest anyone and everyone) where all areas are accessible. Furthermore, the game will block you from playing again thanks to text files (would probably need multiple mysteries)

This probably exists in flash form but I've never seen this in "bigger" games

For more flavour, the detective could also be mildly delirious 

gamerwiz

I know it's probably already been an idea in the back of all our minds for years now...  I want to see a Pokemon RPG with next gen graphics.  I think it would not only boost the sales of the company, but give us fans a much anticipated game that we've wanted to see for years.  Lemme know what you guys think.

BunnyShoggoth

Naked Lunch: The Adventure Game. The one where you could go on surrealistic spy missions for Islam Inc., travel through the Interzone, Annexia and Freeland, meet mugwumps and other strange creatures and escape from Hauser and O'Brien. The closest (in my opinion) style would be Discworld 2: for instance, I can easily imagine A. J. and his baboon like this, and Hassan's rumpus room like that. Even if it included about 10% of the book and movie's material, it would still be an instant adventure gaming classic.

Cyrus

Umm... A Stephen King adaptation? (Surprisingly, being as famous as he is, he has very few video game adaptations). I would pick themes from the novels linked to Dark Tower, like "From a Buick 8" or "Low Men in Yellow Coats", which focus more on mystery than on horror. Would be interesting to visit the "Manhattan Restaurant of the Mind" and travel between different worlds.

As for the visual style, could be something along the lines of "Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island": creepy but more lighthearted than the original novels, with the feel of Scooby-Doo style paranormal investigation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk