What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Frodo

But he was less than a metre away from the bus stop. 
And there was no space between the bus and the pavement for a motorbike to get through.  I doubt even a bike could have got past. 
Anyway, bikes and motorbikes would pass on the other side of bus, away from the pavement. 

Slasher

We are all just blots on the landscape...I'm not different... I make mistakes and hope to learn from then..

I hate it when people bring others down just because they don't fit into their way of thinking....

People who feel obliged to comment on people's diction without knowing if that person has Dyslexia... Yes, they do exist... 

The people who think the world owes them when in fact they owe the world....

We all vary in some way and that's what makes life exciting...

We can all be here today but gone tomorrow...(those that have kissed death will know) why not embrace our differences with kindness, empathy and love and allow for those less fortunate..Especially in these times of world crises...

I won't say some things grind my gears but I do get a tiny bit annoyed...

Mouth for war

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Danvzare

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 26/08/2022 16:48:47
People who feel obliged to comment on people's diction without knowing if that person has Dyslexia... Yes, they do exist... 
I can confirm that, since my sister has dyslexia.

But yeah, well said Slasher.  (nod)

Mouth for war

Dark chocolate grinds my gears. Chocolate is supposed to taste like heart disease and weight gain. If someone gives you dark chocolate it should be considered a misdemeanor and come with a fine!!!

Snarky

I also prefer milk chocolate to dark chocolate (which to me tastes like baking chocolate), but each to their own.

This is a very niche one: It grinds my gears that in Spotlight App Launch on my Mac, typing "DI…" defaults to Disk Utility (which I hardly ever need to launch) instead of Discord (which I launch all the time).

Mandle

Quote from: Mouth for war on Thu 08/09/2022 20:32:02
Dark chocolate grinds my gears. Chocolate is supposed to taste like heart disease and weight gain. If someone gives you dark chocolate it should be considered a misdemeanor and come with a fine!!!

Your problem there is that you aren't putting enough pineapple on it.

Mouth for war

I knew I should of done that!!!!! ;-) :D

Babar

I love dark chocolate! To a limit, of course. I've tried +90% and that's...just too bitter.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Mouth for war

No you don't! ;-) yuck that sunds really disgusting :D

Mandle

Quote from: Babar on Sun 11/09/2022 17:03:58
I love dark chocolate! To a limit, of course. I've tried +90% and that's...just too bitter.

That stuff just instantly sucks all the spit out of your mouth.

Babar

I don't think I'm weird in that I usually go for less added sugar in such type of snacks. I mean a dessert is a dessert with a mix of many ingredients, and would meant to be sweet, but something like chocolate, or tea, where the point is the thing itself, it seems weird to me to drown the flavour with sugar sweetness.

I guess that grinds my gears: ordering some unique-seeming drink like "kumquat-infused starfruit soda" and basically getting something which might as well be sugarwater. Some places I've lived even served fruit with sugar sprinkled on top (with the justification that "Oh, it is not sweet on its own, it needs the sugar").

cat

I don't like sugar in my coffee, but almost all types of iced coffee you can buy ready made at supermarkets have tons of it.

Babar

Talking about teas and coffees, as someone who doesn't regularly care to drink either, it grinds me gears when people try to ascribe some ulterior motive to and start asking after the fact that I select herbal teas when invited for "coffee" or to participate in a coffee break- like I have bought into some nonsense about amazing cures or diet properties.

milkanannan

Quote from: Babar on Tue 13/09/2022 15:03:17
Talking about teas and coffees, as someone who doesn't regularly care to drink either, it grinds me gears when people try to ascribe some ulterior motive to and start asking after the fact that I select herbal teas when invited for "coffee" or to participate in a coffee break- like I have bought into some nonsense about amazing cures or diet properties.

We’re all just curious how you can get through your day without subtle background anxiety. (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: milkanannan on Wed 14/09/2022 05:36:47
We’re all just curious how you can get through your day without subtle background anxiety. (laugh)

Are we all though?

Blondbraid

It grinds my gears that, during the elections in Sweden, all major political parties plastered their campaign posters with insipid slogans everywhere,
and apart from being a ridiculously outdated way of reaching out to voters (if I've never voted for your party in all my life, some cardboard with a one-sentence slogan won't change my mind),
those posters are now just a huge trash problem now that the election is over.

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 15/09/2022 18:47:42
those posters are now just a huge trash problem now that the election is over.

Damn, someone should have run on the ticket of promising to clean up all the posters... while posting none themself.

AndreasBlack

When you have hard evidence blatently obvious that the person in question did huge crimes which should lead right into jail, but society says "We can't do anything. Too many years has passed".  (wrong)

Snarky

I don't know if this actually grinds my gears, but when I listen to someone reading a book aloud, and they read out onomatopoeia in dialogue, such as "ahem," "harrumph!" "pshaw!" or "tut tut"/"tsk tsk," as if they were actual words rather than ways to spell out other sounds people make. It makes me think of Gaspode the talking dog in Discworld, and how disconcerting people find it when he'll say "Woof!" instead of barking.

Incidentally, I just learned that the representation of "tsk tsk" (two dento-alveolar clicks) in the International Phonetic Alphabet is [| |].

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk