November MAGS

Started by Klaus, Tue 01/11/2005 19:02:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet another ruleset by Wretched and this time we go for a world record. Or some kind of...

Topic: Superlatives

Your game must try and set a world record in adventure gaming, e.g.
- biggest monster ever,
- most difficult puzzle ever,
- stupidest player character ever,
- etc.
It's up to you about what superlatives could appear or take place...

Inventory/scripting must include a functional, working stylophone or mini piano.

More information about stylophones

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All entries need to be in by early November 25th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Ubel

MAGS has a problem. Named Wretched. :P

I think that people have lost interest in MAGS because they think that it's obvious that Wretched will participate and win again.

These are very fun quidelines and I would probably participate in this one if I knew Wretched wasn't going to. Then I could have some change of winning too.

No, I'm not saying that Wretched shouldn't compete... I'm just saying that they may scare some other participants away. So, please Wretched, stop making so damn awesome games for a little while, and give us smaller guys a little change. :=

Eggie

*Nervously comes to the front of the classroom*
I...um...might be making something...

Scampers off into the shadows.

UPDATE:
Walk animation (still needs work):
Second Screenshot (including Spoiler):

Aaand, last screenshot for a while:

Klaus

Quote from: Pablo on Fri 04/11/2005 23:32:45
I think that people have lost interest in MAGS because they think that it's obvious that Wretched will participate and win again.
I don't think that this is obvious. Check out the last competitions: There are some posting saying "I'm in" and similar announcements but none of these were made by Wretched. He just posted his entry close to the deadline's end. So noone actually could have known about his submission.

Quote from: Pablo on Fri 04/11/2005 23:32:45
Then I could have some change of winning too.
You - and all other participants - always have a chance to win :)

Wretched

Pablo,
Firstly I have already decided not to enter this month anyway, as I could confirm by showing you some PM's I have sent this month. I'm sorry you feel this way, my participation in the MAGS was in all honesty to try and do the complete opposite of what you are implying. To me MAGS is the elite of all the competitions, a complete adventure game!. This is what AGS is all about, I was fed up of so much good work going into the other competitions, by 'Have not worked on any complete games' people. I felt not enough respect was being given to MAGS by the AGS community, and wanted to up it's position by trying to generate some decent games and spark some enthusiasm. Why is it the OROW generates so many entries? most of them superior to a lot of MAGS entries that should be 4 times better, and where there is not even a prize so to speak. To be honest I was going to hand the choice of rules for November over to who ever came second last month as I was tired of making them up and was feeling a bit domineering, but alas no one made second place. Also I delibrately avoided posting an 'I'm in', as this is the ultimate kiss of death to a project, and that was I sensitive to people like you who may not have entered even though I felt this a little presumptive at the time. Lastly I'm glad you had the courage to express your view, and that you use your courage to complete an entry, which I am looking forward to playing.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteI have already decided not to enter this month anyway

Aw. I was looking forward to another wonderful game of yours. :)

Sir Pablo, I don't think that's really the issue... if anything, it's extra motivation to the contestants: can you make a better game? Besides, it's a pleasure for me, as a gamer, to be treated to a game of Wretched's, and here's a chance to see a game of his - monthly!
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Ubel

I wrote a very long reply, but then accidently deleted it.
So, here goes again, a shorter version:

Quote from: Rui "Brisby" Pires (a Furry) on Sat 05/11/2005 10:55:38
Besides, it's a pleasure for me, as a gamer, to be treated to a game of Wretched's, and here's a chance to see a game of his - monthly!

Well, yeah, that is true! ;D

Quote from: Rui "Brisby" Pires (a Furry) on Sat 05/11/2005 10:55:38if anything, it's extra motivation to the contestants: can you make a better game?

That can also be true in some cases.

Quote from: Klaus on Sat 05/11/2005 00:35:14
I don't think that this is obvious. Check out the last competitions: There are some posting saying "I'm in" and similar announcements but none of these were made by Wretched. He just posted his entry close to the deadline's end. So noone actually could have known about his submission.

The fact that people could not know if he participates could just be the reason they won't compete. Also, we have seen that Wretched has done this 3 months in a row... so in some people's minds it's obvious that he just may do it again.

Quote from: Wretched on Sat 05/11/2005 01:12:49
I'm sorry you feel this way, my participation in the MAGS was in all honesty to try and do the complete opposite of what you are implying.

There you succeeded well. :)
But, perhaps too well. You made so great games in so little time that some people may have lost their self-confidence. Therefore their interest in participating in this compo. I'm not saying it's bad that you compete, I'm saying that you win too much. ;) People don't like losing every month.

I don't have anything against you. I'm just saying, that you might scare other contestants away. :=

And lastly, I want to ask you a question: Where do you get the time to make these games? :D

Peace,
~Pablo

Redwall

Quote from: Rui "Brisby" Pires (a Furry) on Sat 05/11/2005 10:55:38
QuoteI have already decided not to enter this month anyway

Aw. I was looking forward to another wonderful game of yours. :)

What if he's LYING?! :=
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

Barbarian

I follow the MAGS postings and games submitted frequently, and, perhaps one of these times around when I'm not so busy with other things on the go, other projects, and/or I feel extra inspired, then I may certainly decide to enter into a MAGS sometimes myself.

I've entered into ATC, OROW and Release Something already, and it was always a rewarding experience for me, win lose or draw.

That being said, it doesn't matter to me who else may be entering into a MAGS (or any contest/competition for that matter)... for me, it would be just about the enjoyment of putting together a little game and see what I could come up with within the few weeks I had and to fit within that MAGS guidelines/restrictions.Ã,  For me it's fun to work on making adventure games, and I like to share my games with others.Ã,  It's nice to know that other adventuring-gaming-fans out there can enjoy and appreciate some game projects that I had a hand in making.

As far as I'm concerned with MAGS, or any AGS competition for that matter, the more the merrier, and everyone should feel welcome. With more projects submitted to these various contests/competitions, etc... I think a lot of people benefit by gaining experience from working on a project, and thus continuing to improve their various talents/skills,Ã,  and/or enjoying to play some of the other games that are shared with the community.

There's such a wonderful bunch of talented people in this community, and I think we can continue to encourage each other and help each other to learn and grow in many ways.Ã,  I know since I've been around the AGS community that I've learned so much, improved many of my talents and skills, gaining new insights and ideas, and just overall enjoying my time here and playing the fun games that so many AGSers make and share.

Best regards.  :)
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

magintz

I may be making a game. I planned it out, but I bought Call of Duty 2 the other day so whether it actaully gets made is another question.

I like eggie's idea for the use of a piano.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Mordalles

hey, wretched, if i was you i would enter again. you could go for some record! you might not get the chance again! come on! enter!

i know im new here, and dont know much about mags, but i think its a great competition, and i will enter once im done with my current game im working on.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Baron

I've always wanted to participate in MAGS, but I have hereto always had a larger project on the go that demanded my attention.  Since I have at long last finished such a project, however, I find myself with time on my hands, so I too am throwing my hat -er, helmet -into the ring.

BaRoN

scourge

its pretty obvious that nobody enters MAGS cause they have their own projects they're working one. I'm sure if someone like Big Brother,and all those giants in the AGS community entered these comps it would jump to a completely new level, etc. Doing small sprites or quick tunes is quick and eveybody has time for that. :) Working on your own complete game and constraints is much more rewarding.

On the otherhand i guess MAGS does give you an ultimatum and idea if you have none. I guess i'm also new here :)

eggie: I love that walk cycle!

magintz

MAGS is a ncie introduction to teh community, and if it were up to me, would be a pre-requisite for joining the community. The only reason I plan to enter is not because I have no ideas (I have millions) but because I've slowly dragged off my current project and think that a rejuvenation of AGS is in order, plus I want to have soemthing released.

Stay tuned though... I plan to start making my game this week.... hopefully.... :/
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Baron

Deadline.....Ã,  looming.....
Eyes.... burning.....
Must....Ã,  Ã, keep.....Ã,  drawing.....

Radiant

Well, I've never done a MAGS before, but this one seemed kind of appropriate... presenting...

MOTLPAA

This is something that to my knowledge has never been done in AGS before. But of course AGS is versatile enough to make it possible. Welcome to the Biggest Maze Ever (and if you don't believe me, I can simply make it bigger - but it is already bigger than the one in Zak McKracken, or KQ5, or LSL3, or CQOTL, or Hugo5, so I believe it qualifies).

This game also might qualify for the Biggest Lack of Plot Ever, and it arguably isn't an adventure game but rather a puzzle game. But it's fun anyway, please try it. And it does have a piano, that even sounds different in the various areas of the maze.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=649

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occured in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x7C921E58 ; program pointer is +6, ACI version 2.70.864, gtags (0,8)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and notify CJ on the Tech forum.

in Room 1 script (line 4)
from Room 1 script (line 49)

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.
OK   

I get errors like these by basically playing the piano and then walking around.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Nikolas

Radiant: Very nice.

Very nice. I found the exit in 70 moves and in the second try found the key/treasure/map and exit in 222 moves. Not bad.

The graphics are all reaped from Eye of the Beholder, right?  ;)

Oh the memories...

Radiant

Rui -> Yes, I've seen that bug. Very strange, all I do is a PlaySound() call. I've raised the question in the tech forum. The workaround seems to be to not play the piano.

Nikolas -> Thanks. And yes, you're correct :) Well, for the walls at least.

Wretched

I had a similar maze subgame in Where's Ma Hat Ma but that was only 8x8, and lots of people complained it was too hard! Anyway's yours is much better. You could easily expand this in to a full game. Shame the piano wasn't more functional though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk