PLUGIN: Character3D v0.93 (08 May 2006)

Started by Besh, Sat 05/11/2005 18:13:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Besh

Sorry, but I was out for some daysÃ,  ;D

The width and height of the texture bitmap must be powers of two, but can be different, eg. a 64x16 texture is fine, but a 17x3 one is not.

Now I'm working on a Direct3D version of the plugin (with all the features of DirectX) bur there are some problems.
If someone is interested, every aid is well acceptedÃ,  ;)
"Spread our codes to the stars,
You can rescue us all"
- Muse

Besh

...and light was... 8)

In this version (0.88) I have added a simple light system with ambient and global lights.

What still lacks in order to render the plugin usable?
You can rescue us all"
- Muse

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Wow. You sure are a dedicated fellow. :)
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

kadok

I've check the c3d_town demo on my machine

cel433
192ram
rivatnt2 16mb

and it's working quite fast.

however, some fps counter could be added.
sorry for may english... it's not my native language so I may make some mistake's

Besh

I have made small changes to the 3D engine and also added colored light.

The TownDemo includes a new room that shows the use of colored light.
You can rescue us all"
- Muse

Besh

After the storm I go back to working on C3D:

in this new release I've modified the models and animations loading system. See the manual for more info.

Thanks to Mozesh for his suggestions.

My excuses to anyone that is developing a game using Character3D (actually I know about only one) for my several change but this is the only way to improve this work.

You can rescue us all"
- Muse

Reodor

First of all: This Plugin is great! It makes it possible to make games similar to TLJ and Grim Fandango, but how do I get the inventory system to work when i use this Plugin?
Somebody set us up the bomb!

Besh

In the same way in which you don't use the plugin because this plugin doesn't modify any inventory functions or properties, it works only on character (at this time).
You can rescue us all"
- Muse

Besh

In v0.92:

I have removed Init function, now the plugin sets all the parameters automatically, so now you can change resolution from winsetup.exe.

I have also added two nice effects, CelShading and Outline that give a cartoon style. Please read the manual for more info.
You can rescue us all"
- Muse

monkey0506

Hmm...Cel Shading seems nice.  I like the smooth shading style it gives.  Unfortunately, I still seem to be experiencing a crash when I hold 'A' repeatedly:

QuoteIllegal exception
---------------------------
An exception 0xC0000005 occured in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x7C911EC3 ; program pointer is +9016, ACI version 2.71.894, gtags (1,0)

Quotec3d_town.exe

c3d_town.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
We have created an error report that you can send to us.  We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.

I know that the second error message is Microsoft, not AGS or the plugin, I just thought I'd note that I got an error from them too.

I loaded the C3D Town Demo, ran the compiled executable, and held A for a few seconds to make it crash.  The relevant code in the script is this line:

Code: ags
if (keycode == 65) plugin.CameraRotation -= 1.0;

The game crashes shortly after Tentacle disappears and Salvador is about to.

Besh

The mentioned problem isn't due to plugin code, but it's a geometrical problem. It's very difficult for me (specially for my English) to show the reason of that (if you want I can try but...).
The A,W,S and D keys are used for setting the camera parameters, this is an old Rui's request (whatever you get, whatever you set), and not for other purpose.
However, now I'll try to prevent that nasty geometrical situation.

Thank you very much.
You can rescue us all"
- Muse

Besh

Currently I'm waiting for some new functions from CJ to resolve character direction and speed problems.
Meanwhile I started my first AGS game (naturally with C3D), I'm drawing/modeling backgrounds and characters.
If you have requests or suggestions to improve the plugin or to add new effects, this is the right moment.

Good work!
You can rescue us all"
- Muse

kadok

I have an old pc with cpu under 500mhz, 128 MB ram and a crappy old 3d card.

I've checked the demos, and they work quite fast.

So how fast will a full length game made with the Character3D plugin with nice graphics and other effects run on a pc like mine?
sorry for may english... it's not my native language so I may make some mistake's

Besh

The problem isn't the length of the game but the number of character3D in a room. If there's only 1 character3D the pluging "works" only 1 time per frame but if there are 7 character3D the plugin "works" 7 times per frame.

Another problem is the number of character3d in the entire game, because, currently, once a model is loaded it remains in system's memory until the end of the game.

In the next version I'll insert a new function for delete unused model from the system's memory.

CIAO
You can rescue us all"
- Muse

Reodor

When i try to test the game with this plugin, all i get is this message:

Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occured in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x10001F91 ; program pointer is +31, ACI version 2.71.894, gtags (2036,32)

What is wrong?
Somebody set us up the bomb!

Besh

You can rescue us all"
- Muse

Ali

This is really exciting. Brilliant, Besh.

Though, since you asked what the plugin was lacking I though I'd ask if you planned to expand the types of mesh Character3D can use. I did look at escultor but found it's .obj import didn't work.

Compatability with blender would be great (but probably to much to ask for). It would be particulary good because it's possible to bake the textures/lighting of a highy poly chracter onto a low-poly mesh. Which could look pretty flash.

Is it worth me just *cheapskate shudder* buying Milkshape or are you planning on expanding the plugin's compatability with other3Dapps?

Is the issue that most object formats don't have accompanying animation files, while escultor and milkshape files do?

I don't mean to look a realtime 3D gift-horse in the mouth. This is great as it is!

Besh

Yes, the main reason for which I have chosen Escultor and MS3D is their animations support and simplicity. Another good program that probably I'll include is Anim8or (free).

The problem with Blender and other great tools (3ds, 3dmax, ...) is my 3d engine based on Allegro. With Alleggro 3D routines the capability are limited to the basic concept of 3d: draw an object with texture, apply light, STOP!
However I can include Blender (or other) models, if you are really interested let me know so I start to study the Blender file format.
You can rescue us all"
- Muse

Ali

Thanks for the response Besh,

Support for Anim8or would be a great plus, because it can import a variety of files. If the plugin supported Anim8or then it would be possible to create meshes in Blender or Max and then create in-game animations for them in Anim8or.

Good luck with this project, I really hope it goes well.

Besh

New version avaible!! Some critical bugs fixed.
CIAO
You can rescue us all"
- Muse

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk