MOTLPAA

Started by Radiant, Tue 29/11/2005 15:41:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

This is a simple maze game that uses first-person 3-D perspective. A random maze is generated with a key, a chest and an exit, which ideally should be found in that order. Also, an automapping system is available if you can find the map lying around. It's a short game that might serve as a coffee break diversion; it was mainly written to find out if it were feasible to create a 3-D maze in AGS.

Known bugs:
1.Rarely, the maze generation routine takes so long that AGS calls it an infinite loop and aborts.
2.Playing the sounds may crash due to an Allegro bug (see the Tech forum for details).

strazer

Regarding 1.: AGS v2.71 Beta 4 added the "noloopcheck" keyword to bypass script loop checks:

Code: ags

function noloopcheck RandomizeMaze() {
  //...mega-loop here
}

sergiocornaga

It worked just fine for me, a really cool game.

Baron

a-MAZE-ing! 

Oh, c'mon, you knew someone was going to say it. 

Seriously, however, I think this type of platform might support some very interesting AGS adventure games.  Do you have any plans to create a limited-3-D adventure?

BaRoN

Gilbert

Is it the same version released for MAGS, or is it an updated version?

Radiant

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Wed 30/11/2005 08:32:50
Is it the same version released for MAGS, or is it an updated version?

The same, though if people have suggestions I'll certainly consider them (such as the noloopcheck idea above).

And yes, I think it would be cool to use this to create a true adventure rather than a simple maze (or maybe, an EOB'esque RPG)

Nikolas

YES!

EOB!

Do it! Do it! Where can I donate the money?

YES! YES! YES!

scourge

Hey, i like it :) Yes you must try some RPG or something with such a system. Could be very cool and drive AGS to new heights :)

PyroMonkey

Yeah, something like Arcanum would be very neat for AGS.

Ashen

The first thing I thought when I saw this, was "Are those textures from Eye of the Beholder?" This is no bad thing - I loved those games - and a full EOB-esque game would be awesome.

However, I might've found a minor bug:
Playing through it, I found the map and mapped the top 2/3 of the maze. The treasure & the key must've been in the bottom 1/3, which could only be accessed by a single corridor, blocked by the exit - there was no way for me to get out with the treasure. I guess it's due to the random nature of the maze? Anyway, it hasn't happened again, that I've noticed.
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Radiant

Quote from: Ashen on Wed 30/11/2005 22:52:33
The first thing I thought when I saw this, was "Are those textures from Eye of the Beholder?"
Yes, they are. Given my total lack of art skills, I first had simply colored planes. Then I thought that some textures would be better, and these were the first that came to mind.

This is no bad thing - I loved those games - and a full EOB-esque game would be awesome.
Considering it for 2006.

However, I might've found a minor bug: I guess it's due to the random nature of the maze? Anyway, it hasn't happened again, that I've noticed.
Ah yes, that would be the random maze generator. It is, well, random :) It does guarantee that every corridor is accessible, though. I suppose a solution would be to throw the exit in a dead end. But if you like games that are sometimes impossible, I have something very weird coming up soon.... muahahaha!

sergiocornaga

Incidentally, what does MOTLPAA stand for? I'm pretty sure I've figured out some of it.

Radiant

Quote from: SergioCornaga on Sun 11/12/2005 09:34:32
Incidentally, what does MOTLPAA stand for? I'm pretty sure I've figured out some of it.

I was wondering when someone would be asking that :) make your best guess, it's not that hard.

Kweepa

Maze of the long pointless arbitrary abbreviation.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Radiant

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Mon 12/12/2005 01:06:59
Maze of the long pointless arbitrary abbreviation.

If this were Master Mind, you'd get two dots.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Maze of the longest possible... arbitrary... application?

Which colour would those dots be? :=
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Radiant

<grin> Every played Zork?

Ashen

"Maze of Twisty Little Passages, All Alike"?

What do I win?

On a mildly on-topic note, I've not had the 'Exit stopping me from getting the Treasure' problem again, and I've played more times than is probably healthy.
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Radiant

Quote from: Ashen on Mon 12/12/2005 17:36:56
"Maze of Twisty Little Passages, All Alike"?

Excellent!
(although arguably I should have called the game MOTLPAD as in Zork II :) )

What do I win?

Ah, er, how about a cameo in the inevitable sequel?

Redwall

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 12/12/2005 17:24:50<grin> Every played Zork?

Shouldn't you have said Collassal Cave?
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk