BACKGROUND BLITZ 20051130-20051213

Started by Andail, Wed 30/11/2005 19:33:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Andail

Topic:

POST- APOCALYPTIC DINER  

Guidelines:
At least once in the career of a background artist he or she is asked to paint a scene from after the great disaster, war or whatever. This can be an urban or rural scene, but there have to signs of something post-catastrophic. Obviously, there must also be featured some sort of diner.

Resolution: 320x200
Palette: Unlimited.

Voting:
Give one vote in each of the following categories:

* Best Idea - The underlying idea to the background. Doesn't neccesserily have to coincide perfectly with the theme of the week, just strike you as interesting/amusing/inspiring; a place you'd really enjoy visiting within a game.

* Best Design - The style of the picture, architectural, landscape design, best mood, most evocative etc.

* Best Functionality - How well it would work when adding sprites, including appropriate walking distances, good angle for character sprites, clever walkway solutions, easily understood exits etc.

* Best Technique - How well the ideas are executed in form of rendering.

lo_res_man

ummm andail, what do those numbers mean? I'm sure there dates but could you make it more clear WHAT they mean? my guess is November 30th to december 13, but its annoying trying to decipher.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Sam.

My little entry, about half an hour, if anyone is interested.

And those dates make perfect sense to me..
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

ildu

Could you pull back the deadline to the 7th of December, so that it's just one week? It would be great if you extended the deadline only if the first week wasn't fruitful. Because I'm gonna skip this one. I'm not inspired by the topic at all and the resolution restriction is kinda low. Also, I've got other things to do this week. But don't get disgruntled on my account. I think it's perfect that the topics and guidelines change, an uninspiring topic to me may be mind-blowing to someone else. And usually if one is uninspiring, the next one is great.

Andail

Quote from: lo_res_man on Wed 30/11/2005 20:33:00
ummm andail, what do those numbers mean? I'm sure there dates but could you make it more clear WHAT they mean? my guess is November 30th to december 13, but its annoying trying to decipher.

No, no, we're talking month 30, year 13, around noon in the age of the donkey.
Seriously though, I now added 20 before the year, so I hope that will clarify for everybody.

Zooty; that was quick, good job mate.

Ildu; No, sorry. It seems one week has been too short so far, and instead of just postponing the deadline, I'll set it firmly now. Sorry that you don't like the theme, but it's not really reason enough to ask to sort of get over with it sooner.

seaduck

Eh.. pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a diner?

Mordalles

uh, yeah? is a diner some sort of american restaurant?

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Sam.

noooo, its a building similar to a crematorium

die-in-here
die-n-er
diner
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Andail

http://images.google.com/images?q=diner&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images
or
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=diner

Now that we have sorted out all of these obscure, cryptic date formats and food establishment synonyms, can we try to move on with the activity itself? Thank you.

Venus

My entry:

A post-nuclear war diner
1x

2x

Stefano

Diner: as seen on US movies. Got it.  ;)
Trying to make my first AGS game.

DanClarke

ooh i like this, ill have a go after monday (college deadline).  ;D

Darth Mandarb

I decided this was too tasty to pass on ...

What used to be the "Hungry Horsemen", a nice diner for cattle wranglers on the range...

Size: 320x200
Colors: 256

Akumayo

I had to post, "The Four Horsemen", that's a good one.  Thumbs up mandarb.
"Power is not a means - it is an end."

Andail

Good backgrounds so far!
It could be a good idea to add a blown up version of your bg.
Use
Code: ags
[img width=640 height=400]url[/img]

and it'll be represented as twice as big.

scourge

Some nice bgs :) i like the 'four horsemen' idea.

Floskfinger

The year is 2099 and all mankind has been destinct as a couse of nuclear wars. Now the AI rule the world... Or what's left of it.

320x240
256 colours

here's without the silly droids:

it's not finished so maybe I'll update before the voting.
Dancing madly backwards on the sea of air...

Neutron

darth that is one spiffy diner.  nice.  i think i may get in on this one as well.

ildu

Flosk, looks great and the idea rocks as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk