One Room One Week Competition 3 - Competition Over

Started by scotch, Sun 22/01/2006 00:40:52

Previous topic - Next topic

scotch

The third official OROW competition commences now!

Here are the rules:
Ã,  You must make an AGS game within the next week.
Ã,  You should work alone, but may find one person to help you if you need to.

There is no room restriction this time, might seem funny for a "One Room" competition, but it always ends in discussions about what a room is and I want to see if people have the restraint not to aim too high.Ã,  So you are allowed to do what you like but be aware of what people have managed to make in past OROW competitions.Ã,  It is much better to aim low and get something done than to aim for what you think is the most you can do in a week (you probably won't be able to do half of what you expect).Ã,  Everyone is encouraged to enter, I'll will try to.

Have fun!

Results!

• The graphics award goes to Blackmail in Brooklyn! (4.3)
  • The award for writing goes to Science! (4.0)
  • The the best scripted game was voted to be Tomb of the Moon! (4.1)
  • The best puzzles award goes to Tomb of the Moon! (3.7)
  • Best music is awarded to Blackmail in Brooklyn! (3.5)

The overall winner by public vote is...
Tomb of the Moon![/color]
Well done Ishmael and Pablo!

Game Titles with their Authors:

24 Hours - AJA
Bad Luck - Mugs
Blackmail in Brooklyn - ProgZMax (BG art by scotch)
Heart of Abraxas - Esper
Illusions 1 - Mwahahaha
Locked - Skyfire 1
Science! - Fuzzpilz
Spacemaze - BOYD1981
Tomb of the Moon - Ishmael, Pablo

Well done everyone else, there were some very close results.

STATUS - Games have now been released, voted on, and the results published, you can still download them below.

1 x 29.8mb archive for the broadbanders
7 x 4mb archives for the dialuppers

ScottDoom

Wooo! I will do this just for fun and for more scripting and graphic practice before I start further production on Karl the Karmite...

Is there no theme? I thought we had to wait for a theme so we didn't start early.

And if anyone wants to work with me, please PM me. Now. Do It.

scotch

ScottDoom

Oh no! But I have no clue where to start without a theme.  ???

I'm staring at a blank background in PSP.

esper

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

I forgot, West Coast America and Britain have the possibility of being on two seperate days simultaneously! I wasn't ready!

Can Americans get an extra day?

...oh wait... we kinda do....  But still! I missed the whole first day of the competition! Noooo!

Oh well. I'M STILL ENTERING, BABY! (gets in TARDIS, goes back in time three years, and starts producing a game that will r0xx0r every pair of s0xx0rz that has ever been worn...)
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

edmundito

Out of curiosity, without rules means that the game doesn't have to be an adventure game?
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

MrColossal

People always try and make things that are huge and too big to make, one room one week was made to force someone to limit their scope and just "make something already, dammit!"

Do whatever you want Edmundo, this is about making games.
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

edmundito

Oh, I just asked to clear that up, because I remember in the previous two it was definitely "must be an adventure game". Now I can make a pong clone!!1
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Gilbert

esper

A quick question:

Does one room mean one AGS room, or one specific area in which the game happens? For example, am I limited to only have the game take place in the confines of what the AGS editor would define to be one specific room, or can I use several such rooms as long as they all define one room?

The reason I ask is that my skills in coding and all that aren't quite up to par with what I've seen from some past AGSers in other OROW's. It would be much easier for me, for instance, to have several different rooms describing changing states of the room rather than doing it all in one room... ie. room with no lights, room with dim lights, room with full lights, room with full lights and a hole broken in the wall, etc...

Gilbert

Quote from: scotch on Sun 22/01/2006 00:40:52
There is no room restriction this time, might seem funny for a "One Room" competition, but it always ends in discussions about what a room is and I want to see if people have the restraint not to aim too high

:P

esper

Well, okay, I guess... But restraint is a funny thing. You could make a 57-room game and say "It's all in one room! The main character is astrally projecting!"

magintz

Well technically it's one room you're allowed, but this could be a million rooms in one .crm file or one room divided into many .crm files showing close-ups and different angles.

As far as I am aware it's a very lose definition, and it certanly helps to have played the last OROW games to get an idea. I'll be keeping an eye closely on the competition but doubt I will enter as I don't have a single idea in my noggin.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Pumaman

Quote from: esper on Sun 22/01/2006 10:18:32
Well, okay, I guess... But restraint is a funny thing. You could make a 57-room game and say "It's all in one room! The main character is astrally projecting!"

If you can make a 57-room game in a week, I think we'll all take our hats off to you :P

Gilbert

I can, the game is called COUTN DOWN.

Just use a LARGE font to draw the numbers 56 thru 0 onto 57 background images, and then import them into room56.crm thru room0.crm.
In the "Player enters room (after fadein)" event of room1.crm thru room56.crm add the script:
Wait(40);
cEgo.ChangeRoom(cEgo.Room - 1);

Then in the "Player enters room (after fadein)" event of room0.crm add the script:
Wait(40);
Display("BOOM!");
QuitGame(0);

Just change the player's starting room to 56 and compile...

Simple eh? :=

Rocco

Quote from: scotch on Sun 22/01/2006 00:40:52

Entries should be PMed or emailed (scotchie@gmail.com) to me before the end of Saturday the 28th of January, British time.

Have fun!

This isnt a week!!!
week goes to 29th!!
cause non englisch native speaker, have the translation work in addition to their games.
i will enter, but i need an language grammatic corrector where i can send the txts (hopefully) on friday, and who send it corrected back to me on saturday.
if someone can to that, it would be great.

ScottDoom

I actually came up with an idea last night before I went to bed after desperately trying to come up with an idea, so I'll try to finish a game although I have to write a paper for English this week. I also think we should have until the end of the 29th because the weekend is a good time to finish up any last minute stuff.

Fuzzpilz

Quote from: magintz on Sun 22/01/2006 12:11:03
Well technically it's one room you're allowed, but this could be a million rooms in one .crm file or one room divided into many .crm files showing close-ups and different angles.

That was true of the previous two competitions, but there is no such restriction this time. Reread the initial post.

ScottDoom

:cry: I forgot about my problem. Until that gets cleared up the only thing I can do is make graphics and ideas...

I guess I won't be entering the competition (unless someone teamed with me and did the scripting).

Mordalles

i might give it a go, since mordy 2 is entering betatesting stages. but only if i get an idea.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk