5 Years of MAGS Special: Anniversary Contest

Started by Klaus, Thu 01/06/2006 03:36:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

Oh, there's something special ...
Exactly 5 years ago, in June 2001, DGMacphee invented MAGS and started the very first monthly AGS competition.
Since its launch 55 contests followed up and about 150 games were created for these competitions.
So this month is the right time to celebrate MAGS with a very special event: The MAGS anniversary contest!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What we already know ...
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following given rules. For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).
MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.
MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As this is a special competition there's also something special to the rules ...
This month you can pick any topic of the previous MAGS competitions!

You find them all in the history section of the MAGS Website (click "see guidelines" for details about each topic).
So you have the choice from 56 guidelines and I guess you all will find a topic that you like :)

You are not allowed to (re)use material that you already created before this competition, you game must be completely new!

A special competition, special rules and a special prize ...
This month the winner won't set the next topic, the prize this month is this unique "BigBlueCup" CD with almost all MAGS games of the last 5 years. It includes many games that are no longer available on the net and also all winning ceremonies ever made for MAGS.

And also something special about the deadline ...
This time you actually have the complete month, 30 days, to create your game! So all entries need to be in by late June 30th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, add the topic of the game (eg. 2006-05 The Journey) to your post and also publish a screenshot of the game, please.

Finally I want to thank the previous MAGS hosts DGMacphee and Magintz for their work and also thank all competitors of the last 5 years for wonderful games and great entertainment. Thanks!

I hope there will be a lot of entries this time. Good luck to all who join this MAGS anniversary contest!

Gord10

Wow, it looks great :) I'm joining this month, guess.
(I have to win this, so nobody else will see my earlier crappy submissions for MAGS!)
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Steel Drummer

I'm composing the music for this game:

Play_Pretend

I am *SO* in on this.  N&B Remake is just going to have to wait.  Woohoo!  MAGS ahoy!  Sign me up!

06/01:  Woo-double-hoo!  Already got my topic, "Chess", and plot laid out...onward to graphics!

06/26:  Gah!  No way in heckfire I'm gonna finish this in time.  "The 8th Square" is just too grand a concept to limit to one month.  Worry not, you'll see it someday in the Production thread!  Good luck to all the still-innits!

Steel Drummer

I'm composing the music for this game:

Erenan

The ceremonies for the yearly award (favorite MAGS entry of the year). There's usually a little video to announce the winner.

I'm going to try to work something up this month. I'm actually starting on time for this one, so maybe I'll be able to finish it. :)
The Bunker

Ubel

* Pablo puts all his projects aside

I'm so in!

Klaus

Quote from: Erenan on Thu 01/06/2006 06:22:42
The ceremonies for the yearly award (favorite MAGS entry of the year). There's usually a little video to announce the winner.
It's not only the ceremonies for favorite MAGS entry of the year: There are also some very old winner announcement videos for the very first contests and some more created for monthly competitions featuring the characters Mags and Maggie (that also once were the winners in a MAGS contest) :)

Ishmael

About re-using old materials, does it mean I'm not allowed to dig my archives for the old sprites and backgrounds, or that I need to create completely new characters and locations?
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Klaus

Quote from: Ishmael on Thu 01/06/2006 11:52:54
About re-using old materials, does it mean I'm not allowed to dig my archives for the old sprites and backgrounds
You may dig your archive but you shouldn't use what you find there.

or that I need to create completely new characters and locations?
You shouldn't create a remake of an old entry. So the game and its storyline must be new. If you think of the ideas that characters and locations are based on you can use these. So you can make a new game with some references to an old game, e.g. by using the same main character name but with different sprites of course.

buloght

I'd love to enter this, though I have a lot of uni project deadlines, I'll just have to find time  ;D

Ishmael

Quote from: Klaus on Thu 01/06/2006 12:06:59
About re-using old materials, does it mean I'm not allowed to dig my archives for the old sprites and backgrounds
You may dig your archive but you shouldn't use what you find there.

or that I need to create completely new characters and locations?
You shouldn't create a remake of an old entry. So the game and its storyline must be new. If you think of the ideas that characters and locations are based on you can use these. So you can make a new game with some references to an old game, e.g. by using the same main character name but with different sprites of course.

Thanks, exactly what I wanted to know :)
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

hedgefield

Hmmm, tempting. Just finished my last exam so I've got all month to get to this.

Vel

If anyone entering's in need of some music, Im available.

edmundito

Hey, is it a one person per game or can it be team based?
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Klaus

Quote from: Edmundo on Thu 01/06/2006 17:53:55
Hey, is it a one person per game or can it be team based?

The answer can be found in the first posting:

Quote from: Klaus on Thu 01/06/2006 03:36:32
you may get help for the competiton, but should try not to get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

So it's not a team challenge but you can ask others for support (like Vel for music for example). So one person should really do the main/biggest part of the game. This is how it should be.

lo_res_man

I might consider it, one of the topics really caught my eye.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

vict0r

So i don't have to look up all the previous topics... does anyone have a list?

EDIT: Never mind :) I found my way to the mags website.

voh

Quote- Furthermore I want you to use one "country specific" item for each of these countries (e.g. Coca Cola in the USA).

I was looking through the archive and spotted that.

*cough*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*cough*

I'll try and enter :)
Still here.

Barbarian

Great idea in allowing people to choose what guidelines they like.Ã,  :)

Okay, I think I'm very tempted this time to actually enter this MAGs ( actually I was tempted before many times before, just always I seemed to be too busy with something else ).

The guideline I think I will choose is the "Underworld" idea.

Well, I got a long day of work ahead of meÃ,  :P so, I won't be able to get anything solid started 'till probably the weekend, but I have a few good ideas already about what I'd like to do.
Though, keep in mind, sometimes I'm a bit busy in my life ( work, other commitments and such ), so probably any game I make within the month would be probably "short / small" in size.Ã,  But hey, I think I'll give it a go anyways.

Best wishes to all people entering. I imagine we'll see some fantastic games come out of this MAGs (as there usually are anyways).
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk