Backgroundblitz Jan 02 - Jan 18! (extended)

Started by Daniel Thomas, Fri 08/12/2006 22:45:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Thomas

extended to the 18th
Ok, so Ill change the topic.

Theme
"As I touched the white glowing portal it sucked me in, there was no chance for me   to do anything. I don't know how long I was flying around in there, but it sure felt like forever. Now I'm standing here, which sure doesn't look like the one I left, with no clues on how to get back."
Where did he travel to? Feel free to let out the imagination. It could be everything from an unknown planet with architecture we never seen to another time.

No color limit
Keep the size to around 320x240-800x600 (not that strict)

Voting
The voting starts at 00:00 GMT Thursday the 18th. It ends 24h later.

Voting categories (I cut and paste from loominous blitz, I hope you don't mind, otherwise just tell me and I remove it.)
--- CUT AND PASTE START --
Idea - The underlying idea to the background. Doesn't
necessarily have to coincide perfectly with the theme of the
week, just strike you as interesting/amusing/inspiring; a place
you'd really enjoy visiting within a game.

Atmosphere - How well the image manages to evoke a certain
feeling or mood.

Design - How well the elements in the image are designed,
such as landscapes, buildings, decorations, clouds, doorknobs,
etc.

Composition - How well the elements in the image work
together/are positioned in relation to each other.

Functionality - How well it would work when adding sprites, i
ncluding appropriate walking distances, a good angle for
character sprites, clever walkway solutions, easily understood
exits, etc.

Technique - How well the ideas are executed in form of
rendering.

Anyone is welcome to vote, and it would be great if all
participants could provide their own. You don't have to vote
in all categories, and if provide multiple names in a category,
then please be clear about which one is your pick.
--- CUT AND PASTE END --

Have fun and good luck!
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Gilbert

Since the topic had changed, I'll just split it into two threads to avoid confusions and bloating. :)
You can still view the original followups to the old topic here.

joelphilippage

This was my first 3d background so i decided to try it out on this.

Daniel Thomas

The ending time is getting closer, and only one entry.. if someone need extension, pls tell me.. otherwise Ill give default win to joelphilippage.. I have too little time nowadays to keep this running.

Elric

I'd appreciate a 3 day extention.
Farewell Friend, for I was a thousand times more evil than thou.

raddicks

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/raddicks/draculasspell-1.png
Silhoullettes are worth it, usually I ignore them but I think it helped working two colours then building up from there, made some sense.

At the time towers seemed like a good idea, then I realised there is not going to be any walking space hours after :( I didn't want to harm the detail so I screened in a checkered 3D plane I made. I liked the screen, I was so rushed for time so I will admit there isn't much to interactive with.

Oh yeah I hope it's not a big issue but I found the dracula face on google and filter/screened it on. Unfortunately I have 2 exams tuesday and wednesday so i had to rush :(

Simonsez128

I decided to enter a background in the classic adventure size.
Uses 256 colors and was inspired by the various "broken world in the sky" ideas out there. Hope you like my go at it.

double size

and actual size

I've given a million ladies a million footmassages - and they all meant something! - Vincent Vega

Da_Elf

ok not sure about this one. it was intended to be the concept sketch then i would do it in 3d but i dont have enough time right now with work

Elric

ok, I would never post something like this but I asked for an extention and I have to show something for it.

Too busy schedule at work left me with only a few hours to work on anything so I rushed up an entry during these last 2 hours.

[EDIT : Entry Removed ]

2 hours with photoshop CS, Trust Tablet.
No details at all, I skipped the growth layer and it's really one big mesh. I didn't check for consistency with shadows/midtones/highlights too, so the value range should be destructive as hell. Other than that, it was fun!

Daniel Thomas

Voting starts.
Please vote in as many categories as you can, just put the name after the category and, if you have, the reason. ANYONE are free to vote!

------ Categories ------
Idea:
Atmosphere:
Design:
Composition:
Functionality:
Technique:

------ Contestants ------
joelphilippage
raddicks
Simonsez128
Da_Elf
Elric

Voting ends in 24h.

Daniel Thomas

Could at least the participants try to vote, like I said: Im busy and don't want to extend this too much.
Thanks!

vict0r

Aaaw... I feel sorry for you zyndikate.. Noone wants to post :P

Well don't worry.. Noble as I am, I will vote!!

Idea: Simonez - Very original and cool idea!
Atmosphere: Elric - Nice, scary atmosphere!
Design: Simonez
Composition: Simonez
Functionality: Simonez - A lot of possibilities for look ats, hotspots and exits. Also clear walkable areas!
Technique: Well... Simonez! Even though you mix low colour  dithering with high colour blurs and such, it looks very good! :)

I really liked his BG!

enkerro

Hey count me in!
Ok. Here goes.
--------------------
Idea: Simonsez128 - I'm just a sucker for floating islands and well.. it's cool.
Atmosphere: Simonsez128
Design: Simonsez128
Composition: raddicks
Functionality: Da_Elf
Technique: Elric
--------------------
Overall, I would say that Simonsez128 is in my favour.

Stupot

------ Categories ------
Idea: Simonsez128 - It makes me want to explore the world beyond the screen you've given me.
Atmosphere: Joelphilippage - Like some kind of inescapable nightmare - Love the Alice in wonderland theme.
Design: Raddicks - I love the cartoon style.
Composition: Simonsez128 - Good
Functionality: Joelphilippage - The possibilities are endless, here.
Technique: Simonsez128 - The cloud is fine and I like your dot-blending (whatever the real term for that is).

If I had to pick a favourite I would also choose Simons, but I would also like to play a game in Joels 3D style.

raddicks

------ Categories ------
Idea: Elric - Something very surreal about this background, kinda like 'anything can happen'
Atmosphere: Elric again
Design: Simonez, you can tell there has been a lot of attention to detail!
Composition: Simonez, nice clean style
Functionality: Da_elf has a good understanding of space
Technique: Elric, it's breathtaking scenery, kinda dreamy

this was hard to judge but i will go in favour for Elric

Da_Elf

------ Categories ------
Idea:Me
Atmosphere:Me
Design:Me
Composition:Me
Functionality:Me
Technique:Me

thats why contestants shouldnt vote hehehe. i like Simonsez's piece though. Dont toss it. use it for something

Daniel Thomas

The person with most votes is Simonsez128, so congratulation!
Fire up the next background blitz anytime you want.

(da_elf: No, thats why you don't vote on yourself.)

ildu

I guess this comes too late, but I'm not gonna not vote because of that :D.

Idea - Elric. This was a toss-up over Elric's and Simonsez128's entries. I chose Elric's, because I liked his closet portal.

Atmosphere - Simonsez128. For me, the visual atmosphere would've gone straight to Elric for the colors and lighting, but contextually I chose Simonsez128, because the atmosphere, which was great, also made clear sense.

Design - Raddicks. The silhouette design was really good. The floor ruined it for me, though on the other categories. It would've been quite a cool image once finished.

Composition - Simonsez128. Clear composition, very good depth and placement.

Functionality - Simonsez128. To me, the obvious choice. I can really picture the chars walking about and adventuring. It's pretty much the only entry that I feel would be ready to put into a game.

Technique - Simonsez128. Again, this was between Simonsez128 and Elric, and I chose the former for various reasons. Not only was it clear and pleasant, the pixelling and dithering techniques really proved an advantage to you in this competition. An honorary mention to joelphilippage for using 3D, which I'm very much in favor of in these competitions.

Good work.

Elric

I cannot believe I got voted but some of you, thank you. With the mods' permission I will delete the link for the background since I find it really unworthy of a  formal entry.  Great job Simonsez128 :)

Simonsez128

Thanks a bunch guys! ;D

Didn't believe the first background I'd ever enter would win. :o
Following  da_elf's advice I won't put that background on my "never gonna use" stash. I made it for that competition only though since the game I am planning on doesn't require a background like this so far. But if anyone else feels that background would fit nicely into their game, message me and we can talk about how that could be accomplished.

Next round coming up soon!

I've given a million ladies a million footmassages - and they all meant something! - Vincent Vega

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk