Sprite Jam - April 15 - April 21

Started by Candall, Sun 15/04/2007 18:11:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Candall

This is actually TheJBurger's honor by all rights, but life has called him away, so he's passed the torch to me.

That said, I present to you... a new Sprite Jam for the week of Sunday, April 15 - Saturday, April 21.

FOOTWEAR

That's right!  Let's see some legwork this week.  First and foremost, be creative.  Think of the footwear as more of a starting point than anything.  Think shoes, boots, sandals, flip-flops, or even bunny slippers, and then run with it.

You can even make up your own types of footwear.  Prosthetics are not out of the question... think Sligs from the Oddworld series.

Edit:  Yeah... I just realized that I didn't put any restrictions.  It wouldn't really be fair of me to impose them now that this has been posted for awhile and some of you may already be at work, but for those of you who like guidelines, the ideal image is no more than 128*128, using no more than 256 colors.  Pretty daggone big for a sprite.  Scale it down as you wish.

Nobody will lose any points for falling outside of those parameters, but this is a Sprite Jam nonetheless... so it does have to be functional as a sprite.  We all know the difference.

ThreeOhFour

I was gonna do something crazy and awesome, but I couldn't think of anything. So that idea got the boot (I really am sorry for that one) and instead I drew this:

Its a boot. Its blue - maybe stained permanently from wading through rivers of goblin blood, maybe because it was present at a great conjuring and its very nature was altered and tainted by the magic, maybe because its made from the hide of the Killer Blue Girralephant, or maybe because I was painting a room in my house and am messy with a paintbrush. You decide.

I couldn't see any colour/size restrictions (and I double checked) but I made it tiny and with few colours coz I'm lazy, so I doubt you can disqualify me   :D.

gASK

This poor little contest with close to no entries wa making me sad, so I quickly drew my footwear of choice I had in mind since the start of this contest but had no time drawing.

The winged sandal of Gods! (actualy it's a regular sandal and a pair of pigeon wings..).

CodeJunkie

Dgarrrr!

32x32, 9 colours (including background)

pirates

ThreeOhFour

Ooh - I like the pegleg! What a fantastic idea!

Candall

Sorry for the late awards, folks.  This was a tough decision.

First place goes to gASK for the (pidgeon) winged sandals.  Nice composition, nice clean sprite.  Great work!

Second place this round goes to SimB for the pirate pegleg.  Nice takeoff of footwear, nicely drawn sprite.  However, mind those gray pixels around the edges.

Third place goes to Ben304 for the blue boot.  I really wanted to vote this one higher, but as I said, creativity was first and foremost.  Although it was tempting to weigh your clever description into my decision, the end result was still a pretty ordinary boot, as well-drawn and interesting-looking as it may be.

Thanks to everyone for participating!  There might not have been many entries, but they were all high quality!

gASK

Unexpected ;)

Thanks Candall - I will set up new competition sometime during this day, when I get some good enough idea...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk