Sprite Jam (Until 30.6.07): Yesteryear's Sci-fi!

Started by SpacePirateCaine, Sat 23/06/2007 15:40:17

Previous topic - Next topic

SpacePirateCaine

I seem to be doing a lot of these lately. I mean, I'm not complaining - I'm really happy that people like my work - but it's a bit of a surprise. Either way, though. I have returned, yet again, for another round of the Sprite Jam. I've been not-so-secretly trying to work out the secret to making a successful Sprite Jam topic - Isometrics had a decent turn out, but seemed a little too limiting (or, depending on your outlook) too open-ended. It looks to me like people like the freedom to create, while still having the limitations of a set genre or theme. With this hypothetical knowledge in mind, I have decided to try this theme - though not entirely unlike the previous jam:

Retro Sci-Fi

The Science Fiction of Yesteryear: I'm talking about the old glorified image of the world in the new millennium, as seen by people in the 50's and 60's. Skintight mechanical counter-pressure suits, short skirts, bad haircuts, blinking lights, human-esque robots -- the whole shebang. I want a character out of that sort of continuum. The rules are simple:

The sprite may be no larger than 150x150
The sprite may have a palette of no more than 32 colors.

I think those dimensions give a lot of leeway, while still keeping it relatively lo-res.
For some inspiration, there's always one of my favorite game series, Space Quest, and if you're up for just a good read, check out Atomic Rockets.

Good luck everyone, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Saberteeth

Five days left people, c'mon!

Whee, here's my entry:

She kinda resembles a stewardes but don't let that fool you. She's acctually from teh futuor!! Just look at her futuristic knee thingy!

Don't know how many colors but still within the limit, res is 59x130.

EDIT: I hope this is what SPC meant by Retro Sci-Fi. How did the people from the 50s think of the new era - 21st century.

Tuomas

Hehe, I got a bit inspired listening to National Health :D so here's something nice to you. It's been a while since I last drew a sprite, or anything for that matter, and had almost forgotten how fun it was. Go figure. anyway, notice the Barbarella-like hair-do, and the space machine thing that was insppired by the Space Invaders game in Soilent Green

Also, 150x150, and apparently about 15-16 colours, could be 14

2X

Hope you like it. (Enough to make me the winner ;D)

EDIT: fixed the image a bit.

TerranRich

Eh, it's not so great, but here it is: an historic event... my first-ever attempt at hand-drawing a sprite. Smaller than 150x150 and definitely less than 32 colors.

Original Size:

3X Size:

Enjoy!

space boy

78x147, 24 colors

x2

cobra79

"Scotty, Beam me up!"

21x65 16colors
2x

Edit: LOL, Hope you don't mind FruitTree, but I could not resist.

FruitTree

Zor ground trooper of the Deotian empire!

130x130 12 colours
2x

EDIT - thats fine cobra  ;) he better get beamed up real quick or he's toast! thats what the deotians do with their enemies, they make toast out of them!

Krysis

From the debts of space... Space Pirate Shtroob

4x

TerranRich

These are all really good. I wish I had l33t sprite skills. :(

:P

lo_res_man

Don't worry, all it takes is practice. for a first sprite, its not bad, very early AGS.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Tuomas

BUMP!

it's 1st already. Where be you SPC, I'm shaking in my pants :)

FruitTree

does anyone have SPC on msn or something? or atleast some info as to his whereabouts? or perhas where he was last seen?  :=

cobra79

Since it is the 4th already and if nobody objects I'd say we just vote a winner.

My vote for space boy. All the other sprites are also very nice.

Alternatively a moderator could decide how we should proceed.

Neil Dnuma

Voting sounds good.

All entries are very good. I vote for Tuomas - I love Barabarella!

Tuomas

If we're voting, no votes for oneselves, and I hope someone will set a limit as to how long the voting is open. Anyway, my vote goes to cobra79 because I can totally see the retro part there. Space_boy did great as well, as I told him already :) and everyone drew nice sprites. Sad there weren't any more sprites than these, the topic really was good and deserved more.

space boy

Jens

voting for space boy as the design is retro and very well realized

ildu

Krysis for the Earthworm Jim -style likeness.

Krysis

Chicky

Lets say... Voting ends in 21 hours from now, 12pm GMT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk