Resident Evil 5 is RACIST oh noes!

Started by Meowster, Wed 01/08/2007 15:59:12

Previous topic - Next topic

ManicMatt

There's only one solution to avoid people calling any games racist! Make ALL the characters in the game white! Nothing else! Ah, but then they'd be considered racist for not including black people or whoever.. argh!! Basically, it doesnt matter what you do, someone will moan. Sigh..

HillBilly

Quote from: ManicMatt on Thu 02/08/2007 09:16:35
There's only one solution to avoid people calling any games racist! Make ALL the characters in the game white! Nothing else! Ah, but then they'd be considered racist for not including black people or whoever.. argh!! Basically, it doesnt matter what you do, someone will moan. Sigh..

no dude you just make the people you're killing white.

when will the white man be free for this kind of gruesome discrimination in videogames? will we ever be able to live normal lives again?

Gilbert

Simple, don't use people or even living organisms in games. Alternatively, make the skins of all people palette-animated rainbow coloured.

Putting these two great ideas together, we have teh ultimate Bio Hazard 5:

A square with rainbow colours flowing from the bottom to the top shooting a horde of triangles with rainbow colours flowing from the top to the bottom.

Unless you're still not satisfied and point out that this game is still EXTREMELY racist because:
1. You are discriminating the triangles! Why must triangles be black bad?
2. Hey! You didn't include the circles, the pentagons, heptagons, isowhateverblablablahexablagons!
3. Why would the palette-animation flowing from the top to the bottom be bad?
4. Hey! You didn't include palette animation where the colours flow horizontally, at 45 degrees diagonally, at 37.3333233 degrees, etc.

So the best solution is, let us all be nice and BAN ALL GAMES.

Hammerite

I didn't see any black people on my way to the paper shop.
My local area is racially out-of-proportion.
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Krysis

I feel sorry for the white guy in the game... Hordes of zombies attack him, but he can't fight back... Because if he shoots them, he'd be considered racist.  

Another thing... don't you, guys, feel you are a little racist against Zombies? They are people too.

Harvester

Black looks? Isn't that like TOTALLY racist? Shouldn't it be African-American looks or whatever?
None shall pass!

Paranoid Factor

HillBilly

Quote from: Harvester on Thu 02/08/2007 11:24:31
Black looks? Isn't that like TOTALLY racist? Shouldn't it be African-American looks or whatever?

I don't think Africans in Africa counts as African-Americans.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: HillBilly on Thu 02/08/2007 13:59:26I don't think Africans in Africa counts as African-Americans.

Everybody wants to be an American ... and white.

Afflict

Dont want to be an American Idiot  ::)

I think the person that wrote the post is a racist :P (Not the AGS one the crappy one on the blog)

ManicMatt

I was forced to pull my game Secrets from the net after an outcry about the bit where the white lead character kills a black guy. Good thing Limbo stars a black guy! He can freely kill god himself without fear of reprisal! Ah wait.. the church... maybe not.

Oh wait! My games are too low key to be noticed! Phew!

buloght

Quote from: Afflict on Thu 02/08/2007 17:46:07
Dont want to be an American Idiot  ::)

I think the person that wrote the post is a racist :P (Not the AGS one the crappy one on the blog)

haha, yes she is, cause what if black people want to be zombies. :D game looks pretty awesome.

LimpingFish

If RE 5 was set in Sweden, then all the zombies would be swedish. If it was set in Antartica, then the zombies would possibly be penguins.

But it isn't, it's set in Africa. And, if I'm not mistaken,  Africa is full of african people. I don't think Capcom has any ulterior motives towards the indiginous populace of Africa. I suppose they could've set it in Africa, but filled it with white people. Better?

They could set it in Ireland, and have paddy-whackery zombies ("P'tatoesssssssss"). Or Wales and taff zombies. Hooray!

The "start them young" line is an extremely ignorant generalization, and (once again) implies that white people are largely racist, pig-f*ckers.

Shame on this woman.

Note to Capcom: Swedish zombies would be awesmoe! "Brainsssssssss...börk, börk!" Do it!
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

monkey0506

Quote from: HillBilly on Thu 02/08/2007 13:59:26
Quote from: Harvester on Thu 02/08/2007 11:24:31

I don't think Africans in Africa counts as African-Americans.

That's right...Africans in Africa are referred to as "African Africans". :P

Quote from: LimpingFish on Thu 02/08/2007 23:04:26But it isn't, it's set in Africa. And, if I'm not mistaken,  Africa is full of african people. I don't think Capcom has any ulterior motives towards the indiginous populace of Africa. I suppose they could've set it in Africa, but filled it with white people. Better?

Sure, they could have set it solely in South Africa, which it's always been my understanding is British-infested and therefore predominately white. Of course I've never been to South Africa or actually seen any statistics so this could be complete bullocks.

But back to the "African-American" bit. I never got the part about calling "black" people "black" being a point of racism. It's now incorrect to use this terminology as it can possibly be used in a derogatory way (i.e., "black jokes"; no way you'd ever hear somebody say, "so a white guy, a Chinese man, and an African-American walk into a bar..."). Basically it seems to me this is just furthers the problem. If we just bow down to them every time they whine about something we'll never be able to move past this.

I'm not saying we should revert to the "n-word" which has almost always been considered a derogatory term when used by "the white man" (even when it was okay to say it, it was still often used to mean someone less than human). However it is ironic that it's perfectly fine for them to use it. But when our usage of the term "black" to refer to their race becomes taboo, I think things are getting a bit out of hand. Although on that note it is still also acceptable for them to refer to themselves as blacks (see BET: Black Entertainment Television; Starz Black: A channel devoted to celebrating Hollywood's "black" actors and actresses; etc.).

It becomes racist when uttered from the mouth of the demonic white man though..."How dare you call me black! My skin may be darker than that permanent marker in your hand but you have no right!"

I think we should reverse the process. Which brings up an interesting phrase I've heard tossed around: "reverse racism." Generally I've heard the phrase used to mean "discrimination against white people." Since when have the phrases "discrimination" and "racism" become exclusive to the blacks African-Americans descendants of native Africans?

But getting back to my point, perhaps as a "white man" I should start screaming racism myself. "What? You can't call me white! That's racist!" :P

Vince Twelve

QuoteSure, they could have set it solely in South Africa, which it's always been my understanding is British-infested and therefore predominately white. Of course I've never been to South Africa or actually seen any statistics so this could be complete bullocks.

Bullocks it is.  You are grossly misinformed.  South Africa is only about 10% white.  Have you heard of Apartheid?

And I may be wrong (perhaps it is I who is grossly misinformed) but I don't think the word black is offensive to anyone except for white people who rail for the over application of political correctness.  You are overstating their sensitivity to the word.  It doesn't even appear on the racial slur databse.  There are ways to use the word offensively, but the word itself, when referring to a person of African decent, is not, I believe, offensive.  So you can relax there.

As for the whole, calling "White" a racist term, you first need to show an example of anyone being upset over the use of the word "black" before that becomes an applicable satire.  And even if you do, mocking cultural sensitivities isn't going to do anything to help alleviate them.

Reverse racism does exist, but let's call a spade a spade.  Reverse racism is racism.  You just haven't pointed out any significant instances of it.

Stupot

Yeh, recently I've been getting funny looks or tuts or "oooh"s from people when I've used the term 'black' to refer to someone who is... errr... black.

Why?

When I was a kid everyone said 'coloured' but that became taboo (and I can understand why, I mean it's not like their skin is made out of the same material as Josephs amazing dreamcoat).  And it seems to me 'black' is a perfectly fine term to use.  I don't think I've ever offended a black guy buy calling him such.

Personally I hate terms like African-American and the like...  It's like if a black person didn't want to offend me by calling me white, so they say call me Anglo-saxon... or worse, Caucasian...  Just call me white... i won't be offended.

It's the people who are too scared to offend, so use terms like coloured thinking they're being PC, who make it uncomfortable for everybody.  Without realising it, they're being more racist because they're the one's making it an issue.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Yay, more Chris Redfieldness!  His voice is the only really generic aspect to him so far (It's not even the chris redfield voice from RE1!).  Also, you really shouldn't provide hits for retard websites like this one.

monkey0506

Granted I may have gone a bit overboard saying that I should scream discrimination anytime anyone calls me "white." I simply get tired of hearing about stupid crap like this. People need to grow up a bit and learn the difference between racism and just plain mental retardation. 8)

Stupot

Quote from: ProgZmax on Fri 03/08/2007 09:18:36
Also, you really shouldn't provide hits for retard websites like this one.

[Disclaimer: all views expressed on this forum are the views of the individual and are by no mens the views of Chris Jones,  AGS or BigBlueCup.com]

vict0r

Here's a fine quote I found. A point that has been made, but what the hell...

Resident Evil 1 - white people are zombies
Resident Evil 2 - white people are zombies
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - white people are zombies
Resident Evil Code: Veronica - white people are zombies
Resident Evil Survivor - white people are zombies
Resident Evil Gaiden - white people are zombies
Resident Evil: Survivor 2 Code: Veronica - white people are zombies
Resident Evil Zero - white people are zombies
Resident Evil: Dead Aim - white people are zombies
Resident Evil Outbreak - white people are zombies
Resident Evil Outbreak File #2 - white people are zombies
Resident Evil 4 - white people are zombies
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles - white people are zombies

Resident Evil 5 - ZOMG AFRICANS?! RACISM

Darth Mandarb

I think that website was just a means to generate traffic.  Nothing brings hits to a website like some controversy!

Of course, it's entirely possible that hag is just incredibly ignorant (racists are).

I too am opposed to terms like "African American" ... whenever I'm refered to as "white" I always reply, "Excuse me?  European-American please."

I want to go downtown (Ft. Lauderdale) and make a call-out for 100 "African Americans".  When I have them all grouped together I will ask them all (one at a time) to name 5 countries in Africa.  My guess would be most would probably think Africa was a country and of the rest most wouldn't be able to name 5 of it's countries.  I don't see what's so wrong with just "American" and being black?

Now before anybody jumps up and calls ol' Darth a racist pig; I know the result would be the same if I collected 100 European-Americans and asked them the same question (or 100 people of any race for that matter).

People are dumb these days.

Maybe a result of life-expectancy going up is IQs going down?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk