Animation Competition.... Oct 10-17 [CLOSED]

Started by Sylvr, Sun 07/10/2007 00:51:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvr

Greetings all, in case anyone's wondering where the next ani competition is...

I'm back at home for the weekend, and my sprite is on my computer two hours away. Sooo possibly monday night I'll update it.

EDIT: can a mod please delete this post? thanks. I thought it would be more noticed if I replied instead of edited the whole thing.
| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

Sylvr

I have returned. Please don't mock my terrible drawing skills futile attempts at setting up competitions on my own. But here is the sprite:

MASSIVE EDIT:

Your task:
The penguin must come alive and interact with the human female in some way. Size and colours unlimited. Ready? Set? GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: This picture is not mine, it's from... an undisclosed location. I've also been asked to mention that it's a WIP.
Sorry for the delay. (A week's normal time, right?)

monkey0506

Oh my word...can we get a non-scaled copy? I see pixel doubling and all sorts of fun stuff.

Didn't mean for that to sound quite as rude as it now seems that it did. Sorry 'bout that.

Sylvr

Well I'm going to take a wild guess and say that I'm not gonna get any entries. So I will pass it off to monkey_05_06, the only one who showed interest in the thread!

monkey0506

Now that's just not fair. I didn't even enter. How dare you.

:=

Just for future reference though:

NEVER USE JPEG ESPECIALLY WHEN CREATING SPRITES FOR ANIMATION.

;D

JPEG gives a small file size however it is a lossy format. This means that you lose color information which makes your image look like crap.

PNG is a good format for small file size in a lossless format. Your pixels are preserved exactly the way you intended which means that anyone wishing to animate can do so without having to first clean up messy pixels.

The second 'undisclosed-source' image is PNG which is good. Unfortunately myself and apparently no one else could be arsed to animate it.

Sylvr

Um, you told me to give it to you. Don't make me sound like a jerk. Dire consequences will follow.

monkey0506

But I put the := in there. I wasn't. I didn't...but...NO!. okay fine...Anim comp will ensue...as soon as I come up with an image. :-*

zabnat

I was going to do something, even had an idea, but... I think the size of the sprite was the main thing...

Sylvr

It wasn't my image, so I can't promise better next time, but what exactly do you mean by "size of the sprite"?

Indie Boy

I won't use this login.
Try IndieBoy instead

zabnat

This goes a bit off rail, but maybe some feedback is useful for all future animation competition hosts.
Small sprite with few colors is easy to animate. Give enough to work with, drawing a cube and telling people to make it into a dragon is not good. I feel that with these guidelines more participants are likely to come. And I have a feeling that looking at past competitions the same thing can be concluded. (Not all these things relate to this competition)

I hope we get more participants in future competitions and I hope that I have time to participate too ;D

Sylvr

Well thanks for that. I hope others find this helpful. Namely monkey_05_06.

Maverick

I know. I know!!

The comp is closed but my ADSL was struck by lightning a week ago and I have been out of the loop for so long I just couldn't resist ;D!

This is not an entry but I just wanted to proof that anyone could have put something together in a very short time if they tried hard enough. This took all of 20 minutes to make guys. Shame on you for leaving SilverTrumpet hanging!!

EDIT

I would love to take over the comp but I have a load of catching up to do now that my router is back up.

Sylvr

Um wow... that made me laugh...  ;D good work!! (Heck, you should take the comp over)

monkey0506

Clever. Clearly you've displayed that just because the sprite is large doesn't mean it can't be animated. It just takes more initiative.

I never recalled the name of the competition being 'Animation of Sprites For Games Competition'. I actually found it nice to see a higher resolution sprite for a change. I actually expected some interesting entries. But alas, it seems that all the animators here only do low res after all. :=

Sylvr

Any particular reason this isn't locked yet?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk