Sprite Jam! [Feb 14 - March 12] Cartoon Parodies!***New Deadline***

Started by Mr. Suit, Thu 14/02/2008 01:02:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Suit

Since I've greatly won over the other contestants in the last sprite jam it's my turn now(for those who didn't get the joke I was the only participant :P).
So this time the contest will be centered around cartoons!

You have to do a parody of a famous cartoon character or a typical cartoon cliché.

Rules: None.

No need for animation. It's optional, and although it will be taken into account it's won't be the main basis of my judgment.

So. I hope to see some cool entries, and btw, don't pretend, like you never watched cartoons!:)
There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.

thebaddie

sound really interesting

but we a to draw a caricature of a character? or a comic scene?

boojiboy

Not sure I completely understand the concept of this sprite jam.
This is my first attempt at animation, I can't be bothered fleshing it out any more so I'll just leave it there.
It's goofy doing exercises.

thebaddie

Knights of the Zodiac (Saint Seiya)

Now Pegasus and the Dragon lives together.... sounds strange?  :P

hoping "ring of the tin" is the right word for tinned food

Khris

The Sprite Jam competition is about drawing a single, elaborate sprite, usually some kind of character (and usually ready to be imported as-is into a hypothetical game). Including backgrounds and animation isn't exactly desired here, although it's done occasionally.

Mixing resolutions (as done in every frame of the above cartoon, especially the last one) is a total no-no.

thebaddie

all right i understand i'm out of competition

but can you explain to me your last frase? what do you mean for "mixing resolutions"?

(btw a pure comment about the strip?)

Khris

Look at the drop of sweat: it's drawn using high-res while the character is drawn in lowres. You've used single and double pixels in every frame, but except for the last one, at least not "inside" the characters.

Edit: really, yes, you did. The picture on the back of the wall is also drawn in higher res. The order doesn't matter anyhow; you mixed them and basta.

Edit2: I don't want to clutter up the thread with non-entries, so I'll reply here:
Eggie: It has nothing to do with the rules, mixing resolutions is a no-no in general. It's like a lensflare in a 2D background. It just looks bad. Technically, yes, you are allowed to do it. That doesn't change that fact that it looks shitty though.

thebaddie

oh not really, i double sized it to be able to write frases, and i add the drop of sweat after that. :)

Mr. Suit

Sorry I wasn't able to reply to your questions, i was having my computer repaired. My idea was for you to create cartoons parodies of existing cartoons like mickey mouse or spongebob squarepants or create parodies of cartoon cliches like those silly disney's princesses, or the classic stereotypes such as the horny wolf, the little mice that are chased by silly animals, such as Tom and Jerry, or Speedy Gonzales and Daffy Duck, the boxing kangaroo, and also the commonly used animations such as characters walking off a cliff and not falling until the are aware they're walking on air, or characters hitting each other with a huge hammer, the wall behind the escape door, etc, etc.
Because of this misunderstanding, I'm extending the deadline until March the 12.

Svartberg

After his failed attempt as a hunter, Elmer Fudd was deep into debt and had to turn to a life of crime.
Several years later, Elmer Fudd as a ghetto gansta.

I've originally made this for sprites with AA edges, but I've also added an .gif with pixalated edges for the heck of it.

Mr. Suit

Yes! That's exactly what I meant. Loved the Ghetto Fudd parody! I wanna see some more entries!

Ghost

YOU CAN'T DEFEAT ME! I GOT A DEGREE IN HIGH PHYSICS!!!!!!!

(Not a valid entry I fear, but the sprite is actually "Doc Oc"...)

Edit:
Wait, I just re-read the rules and think it *is* a valid entry, combining cliche, sprite *and* parody!

Andail

I'm inclined to concur with Khris here. This isn't just "draw any sort of picture"-jam, it's meant to be about sprites.
You should be able to import your entries into the engine and use them as sprites, that's the best definition.

Mr. Suit

Well, sorry for the delay :-[, but I hoped we could get some more entries in. So the winner is
Svatberg!!! He really got the idea of this thread and did a really cool mockup of elmer that reminds me of that robot chicken episode. So I'll be waiting for the next sprite jam.

Svartberg

thanks Mr. Suit, wished we had more entries.
I'll start the new comp by the end of the week.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk