Blue Cup keeps replacing my character sprites when I Test Run/SAVE in AGS

Started by ma2003, Thu 08/05/2008 15:03:16

Previous topic - Next topic

ma2003

Hey guys, I'm new here. Anyway...

I have four sprites that I have imported into the Sprite Manager( 21, 22, 23, 24 )....and I have also placed those into VIEW file and made a view called 'DeskReception'.

Everything seem fine and dandy..until I press save, or I test run the game.

My four sprites become blue cups.

I'm not entirely sure why this is happening, but if I were to guess, I was thinking that my four sprites are not compatible with the pallete, maybe, or the image has been tampered with. My other sprites remain normal and untouched, except my 'DeskReception' sprites.

All I'm trying to accomplish is a receptionist at a desk. I've been hunting around for a tutorial that'll point out what I've been doing wrong.

If any one could help me out, I would really appreciate it.  :)

Pumaman

That's, um ... strange, to say the least.

Which version are you using? Are you saying that when you save the game, those two frames change to blue cups? Are the sprites still there in the sprite manager? If you select one of the frames and then look at the property pane, does it say the Image is 23 or 0?

Gilbert

Hmmm, also, what operating system are you using? I'm afraid it may be a user right problem that some of the files won't get updated. For example, (just my guess) for some reasons the sprite data file wasn't updated but the other files got updated fine (since at least you still see the loop you added previously).

ma2003

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 08/05/2008 18:45:54
That's, um ... strange, to say the least.

Which version are you using? Are you saying that when you save the game, those two frames change to blue cups? Are the sprites still there in the sprite manager? If you select one of the frames and then look at the property pane, does it say the Image is 23 or 0?

@ Pumaman

I'm using AGS 3.01, which I believe is the latest release.

Each time I test run the game or save my work, my four sprites instantly change itself to the blue cups. Sometimes theres a delay, and doesn't change the sprite to a blue cup until I "Do" something, like if I delete a loop that I may not need after I have saved everything, the blue cup will suddenly appear. (As if the image had just updated it self.) The number in the property pane remains 23 and does not change to 0.

While in the sprite manager, I would save my work. If I were to delete one of my four sprites, the three left over would automatically change to blue cups.

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Fri 09/05/2008 01:40:38
Hmmm, also, what operating system are you using? I'm afraid it may be a user right problem that some of the files won't get updated. For example, (just my guess) for some reasons the sprite data file wasn't updated but the other files got updated fine (since at least you still see the loop you added previously).

@ Gilbot

I'm using Windows XP. I'm also using GraphicsGale Free Edition for graphics, and using PNG as the image filetype. As well as AGS 3.01.

----

It is strange. This problem has happened with my other sprites, but were resolved in an hours time by starting a Fresh New Game, or resolved by repeating importing files and such. If I try uploading some of my older sprites, they seem to work fine, and don't change into the annoying cup.

I also tried making a fresh new game, and have uploaded my four sprites. They have worked perfectly. I could leave my old work, and continue working with the fresh new game, but I don't know if this problem will persist and some of my future sprites.

Could it be a bug.

Thanks guys for your replies.

EDIT:

I just downloaded the beta version 3.02. It seems that my sprites are working on my old game. Nothing is getting replaced with blue cups, and I'm using the same sprites I were using before. It seems like its working, however, this has happened before. I used some other sprites in the past to make a character, it would keep changing to blue cups. It would eventually stop doing that. I don't know if my problem was somehow corrected, but at least its not replacing my sprites with blue cups at the moment.

Thanks alot Pumaman aka Chris, and Gilbot.

Gilbert

Hmmm, odd. Maybe something happened that your V3.01 wasn't installed properly. Are you sure your V3.01 was the release version, not a beta version?

Personally I won't recommend to work with V3.02 as it's still in beta stage, but as you already upgraded and don't have problem with it so far, I think it should be alright, since there're several minor loose ends in V3.01 anyway.

Pumaman

I think this qualifies for the strangest problem I've seen reported here this year!!

Can you clarify something for me. When this problem happens, do the sprites change to blue cups only in the view editor, or do they change to blue cups in the sprite manager too?

Also, just make sure none of the files in your game folder are set as read-only (eg. acsprset.spr and sprindex.dat)

ma2003

Ah, well. When the problem happens, it changes to blue cups in the view panel "FIRST".

Then, once I check the sprite manager, it seems like the my sprites are fine , despite the fact that the EXACT same sprites that I selected for use are not working in the view editor.

However, until I insert a NEW sprite in the sprite manager, the sprites that don't show in the view panel, BECOME blue cups. As if the program had just suddenly realized that they were blue cups all along.

Sorry for the caps, but its kinda hard to describe this problem. So to answer the question simply, yes, they do change in the sprite manager.

Also, none of the files in the game folder are set to read-only. I also seem to not have sprindex.dat, in the game folder. I don't know if thats the problem, I don't have it in version 3.02 either. Hopefully that helps. Otherwise, at the moment, things are going fine.

Gilbert

I think the sprindex.dat file is created automatically when you start making a game. If it doesn't exist, there may be problems in creating one in your computer. It's odd anyway.

Pumaman

If you import the sprites but don't put them in the view, then save the game and import a new sprite, do they still turn into blue cups or does it only happen after you've added them to a view?

ma2003

The answer is, no, it only happens once you've added it to the view panel. However, this doesn't seem to happen all the time. I could load a new project and set new sprites up in a view panel, and it would work fine.

But, depending how long I work with sprites (swapping sprites, refining my character etc), my sprites will start to change to blue cups (also, sometimes they'll change to the first sets of sprites I used to make my character).

When I keep changing my sprites in my 'walkcycle-View panel', they will (at some point) change to either blue cups, or a set of old sprites.

Normally, if I make one view without refining the character and changing the sprites, AGS will continue finely. I have to start making sprites that I hope i'm fine with, so I don't refine my sprites.

Hope that helps.

Pumaman

Hmm this is very strange, has anyone else experienced anything like this?

skuttleman

If I were in your bizarre situation, I would re-download AGS and install it to a new folder. Then I would make a whole new game with the newly downloaded AGS. Then I'd start exporting/importing sprites and making characters and copying and pasting all or portions of the global script and see if I can recreate the problem that way. I'm afraid I can't imagine what the problem is, but it sounds like some file somewhere is corrupt. The good news is you can open and edit the game, so you shouldn't have to re-code anything Might take a day of copying and pasting, though.

delancie

I'm having this same exact problem!  Whenever I import any new sprites into my game, I can see them and set up views with them, etc ... but the moment I save/run my AGS game file, they all turn to blue cups and the sprite is gone.  :(

I looked around but couldn't really find much information on this.  Is this a common issue?  Anyone else have this problem?  I guess I'll try re-installing AGS.

delancie

just for everyone's information (and in case someone runs into this problem in the future), i think this is caused because the files can't be overwritten because they're open by someone else at the same time.  i had the same ags game opened on the same computer by two different users (i forgot i had left a remote desktop session active with my remote account with AGS open ... i was working from a computer that didn't have AGS installed).

anyway, since the files were open by the other user, when i tried to save the game, it tried, failed, and my sprites went bye bye.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk