Sprite Jam (August 4 - August 11)

Started by Evil, Mon 04/08/2008 09:38:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil

Alright. Sprite Jam time.

A few days ago I received an email from my dad. He's a head honcho at a help desk services company, and everyone knows that those geeky help desk workers get bored. All of the people in my dad's office are doing self-portraits of themselves in MS Paint. My dad can't even draw a stick man so he "commissioned" me to draw a portrait of him. So now I ask you to draw a portrait of yourself. I'll keep the rules the same as the rules that were set by my dad's office.

Here's the portrait I did of my dad.

Theme: Self Portraits
Rules: You must draw a portrait of yourself and you MUST use MS Paint. (Sorry Mac users. You can't properly use AGS on a Mac, so get a PC. :P)
Size: Any size you want, but nothing wider than 500 pixels.
Colors: Use as many colors you feel necessary, but try to restrict yourself. Paint isn't designed to utilize hundreds of colors.
Bonus: Draw another portrait of a parent in the same style.

I know some of you like having more guidelines, so if you like that sort of thing, use the same work area as I used. 65 x71 pixels with a 2 pixel border.

You've got a week, but I'm in the process of moving, so I might be busy unpacking/forgetting that I'm hosting a sprite jam.

Eh, and I guess I'm being too tough on Mac users. If there's some sort of online or Mac based equivalent of MS Paint, use that.

abstauber

Great contest topic, as I'm I was still not pleased with my avatar.

(60px x 60px)
Colors:I thought I've used only around 30 colors, but counting with another programm tells me around 60 colors... strange.

By the way, it's a real pain(t) in the a** to draw with mspaint... and to be honest: we already have the paint game, I don't really see the need of this restriction.

The Bonus(?):
(140px × 185px)
Colors: Still less than 200? ;)
Does this count as an bonus entry, I made this not especially for the contest and used with Paint .net (using a layer to rotoscope and added a gradient)?

Edit:
I tried to mimic your style for another entry (and followed the rules exactly ;) )

Anyway, it's a nice topic - I'm excited who you all see yourselves ;)

Evil

Looks good. Can't wait to see more entries pouring in. :)

The reason I requested just paint was to test your skills and creativity. It's really easy to traces a photo with layers, and not a lot of people are used to working completely with MS Paint. It's an interesting experience working with something so simple. Plus very few people put a lot of effort in their MS Paint Game entries.

I hadn't planned to count the bonus portraits as an additional entries. Depending on how many more enter maybe I'll count the bonus portraits as a second entry.

abstauber

Oh alright, that makes it clear. I've removed the paint.net image. But as I have used a photo as a template and partly drew over it, I've also added another entry completely in your requested style.

I'm a little tired of loosing competitions because of not doing what the host had requested  ;)

ThreeOhFour

Some assembly required.

2x

4 colours.

If this does not weird you out then I give up ;).

Feel free to disqualify it if you feel it's not a traditional portrait :).

Gilbert

60x60 30-colours

Wasted loads of unnecessary colours, but I wouldn't care.

Oh yes, I did it in M$Pain but saved it as GIF using GIMP, as M$Pain was known to screw up colours in 8-bit images. I hope that's okay.

Evil

Very interesting concept Ben. A little off the wall, but very creative.

Gilbot, the pink ears look like your mouth and a cat is trying to claw it's way out of it. :D

Great entries so far. Keep them coming in!

Oh, and saving with something else is fine, even a copy paste. The point is just to work with the limited tools of Paint.

Evil

Bump!

Only a little longer! I hope to see a few more entries!

Paper Carnival

1x:

2x:

I tried to keep the style similar to the example, but with my own touch.

Colours used: 11, including the background
Dimensions: 82 x 118

edit: new version

Mazoliin

Because I'm BORED!

*not an entery* ::)

Evil

Just a few more hours. I get back from work in about 5 hours, so if you're working on an entry let me know or post it soon!

Babar

I just copied the image that Evil made, and painted over that, but it seems that it actually turned out double of what the restrictions were (2x?). Anyhoo...

Will add a parent if I am brave enough (and there is enough time).

And here it is! I think I like this one better ;D

2x
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Evil

Great entries everyone! MS Paint can be a (MS) pain but you all did awesome work!

In 3rd Place - Paper Carnival - I felt it best fit the style I was working in.

In 2nd Place - Babar - Because his dad also has a sweet mustache

And the winner is - Gilbot! with his portrait of himself eating a cat. Yay half eatted winky cat!

Gilbert

Oh, didn't expect that! I'll think of something for the next round.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk