Using Mindmaps for Design Docs

Started by creatorlars, Tue 04/11/2008 19:32:58

Previous topic - Next topic

creatorlars

Has anyone experimented with using mindmapping applications such as MindJet or FreeMind for use in writing nonlinear design documents?  I have started playing with FreeMind (it is open source) and am very impressed.  I always have a hard time "building up" from an initial idea without going crazy second-guessing and keeping all the details in mind.  This is basically the same as using color-coded index cards for notes, pieces of string, and a giant bulletin board to arrange everything... but I've never had the space or organizational skills to really do that before.

I'll post more thoughts as I continue to play with FreeMind, but I was just wondering if anyone else had experience or tips for writing design docs in this fashion.

Ghost

Hmm. That's a coincidence; a while ago I read on Herculean Effort's page how they use mind maps too. I usually go for the old "keep your notepad ready" approach, but your mentioning the program made me try it out. It looks useful indeed. I think it'll take some time for me to get used to all the shortcuts, but it's defenitely an alternative to the pile of grubby paper resting under my desk- thanks for sharing!

Snarky

There's a game in production by Deirdra Kiai (Squinky) and Lee in Limbo that is being designed using mind maps. It's called Stage! and there are details on the design blog.

TwinMoon

I used a mind map when I designed the story of Unintelligent Design, and for the two games I'm writing now I also use the mindmap method - although I just use a sheet of paper.
However I didn't know there were programs made for just this, thanks for telling me, Lars!

MrColossal

Can someone explain mind maps? I hear a lot about them but have yet to grasp why they are useful
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

creatorlars

QuoteCan someone explain mind maps?

It's a node-based way of looking at information.  Kind of like headings, subheadings, sub-subheadings in a traditional document, but you can visualize the entire document more easily and move things around.  You can also tag certain things.  For example, in my design doc, I have a node called "Locations", which is then divided into all the rooms in the game.  Then I further tag/colorcode each of the Rooms to denote exterior or interior locations, and then underneath each room I have further nodes which describe my notes about that room, what items are found there, etc.

I'm glad some of you are finding this useful!  Please share your experiences and maybe we'll come up with some neat tricks on how to design for adventure games this way.

Snarky, thanks for the link. :)

Stupot

Quote from: MrColossal on Tue 04/11/2008 21:06:00
Can someone explain mind maps?

When you were in primary school they were probably referred to as 'Spider Diagams'.

RickJ

@Snarky:  That's not our Squinky   :D

I used a thing called KnowIt in Linux and a thing called TreePad in widows.   The seemed to workout pretty good.   

http://www.treepad.com/
http://knowit.sourceforge.net/

I also use DocBook which is a form of XML.  You write your stuff once and then run a compiler of sorts to produce an output document.  So from the same source you could create an HTML document, a PDF, a website (multiple html linked page), chm or others.   What's neat is that table of contents and index are generated automatically (with some tag info added in the document).   I am currently using notepad++ to edit docbook and ede to complie; both in windows.

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
http://www.e-novative.info/software/ede.php

I'm am also little vague on the specifics of Mind Maps.   Aren't they a kind of structured text but with some kind of visual presentation?

I was toying with the idea of creating a plot engine that could execute data extracted from a structured text document  something like what is being discussed.   I am currently working on a Thread module that allows one to easily create multi-threaded animation scripts that could receive commands from a plot engine sort of thing.   

It's currently in an alpha phase of development.  All the interesting and difficult things have been completed, including a pretty cool debugger.  I now need to do a lot of boring testing before I implement the rest of the instruction set; primarily wrappers for character, object, etc built-in functions.  If anyone is interested just let me know.

creatorlars

Rick, I'm extremely interested! I spend my dayjob hours working with dynamic XML-based learning interactions in Flash for a university, and developments in nonlinear storytelling/information trees has been a lifelong interest of mine.  Labyrinths, Designing Virtual Worlds, Hamlet on the Holodeck are all fascinating books on the subject if you haven't read them yet.  Definitely PM or e-mail me if you're interested in potential development help.   At the very least I'd love to be kept updated by your project.

I'll check out the links you've posted, for sure.  I've got Notepad++ but hadn't taken the time to explore it's featureset, fully.

Snarky

Quote from: RickJ on Wed 05/11/2008 03:35:58
@Snarky:  That's not our Squinky   :D

I didn't even know we had a Squinky. Deirdra is an active forum member and sometime staffer over at Adventure Gamers, so she's the person I think of when I hear that name.

A structured document parser sounds kind of interesting. Isn't that part of the AGX plugin as well?

Stupot

TerranRich

This mind mapping thing sounds interesting. Maybe I should utilize it for By the Sword.

RickJ

@snarky: I remember our squinky and a chick squinky talking about having the same nick.. It may have been Deirdra. Anyway I think our girl squinky uses squinkycakes or something like that over here on AGS.

@creatorlars:  I would welcome a chance to collaborate with you.  Since my last post the Thread module source has been lost to a disk crash, so it will be a  while before I need help testing again.   I do have extensive hand written design notes that will help me reconstruct everything after the holidays.   

Anyway more to your point of interest I have a good bit of documentation regarding the plot engine.  My fresh knowledge of the Thread module's capabilities has brought me clarity to a couple of unresolved issues with the plot engine.  Together we should be able come up with a solid spec for a plot engine.   I'll see if I can send you something by the weekend,  If not PM to remind me.   It will be a good exercise and will help me preserve the essence of the now departed Thread module.  Looking forward to working with you.

SSH

Quote from: RickJ on Thu 06/11/2008 04:02:34
@snarky: I remember our squinky and a chick squinky talking about having the same nick.. It may have been Deirdra. Anyway I think our girl squinky uses squinkycakes or something like that over here on AGS.

The Inquisitive Stranger, actually...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk