Animation Competition: Flea Hawker (WINNERS inside)

Started by abstauber, Tue 11/11/2008 08:34:36

Previous topic - Next topic

abstauber

For this competition, I made a slight modification to the rules. I hope you don't mind.

Rules
* background and sprites are supplied, setting the theme for the competition
* participants must use the supplied material and create an animation from it
* the supplied background has to be in the first frame
* Both sprites have to appear in the animation

Flea Hawkers

Have you ever imagined, selling stuff to parasites? No? Now it's your chance!
This flea hawker is about to make the deal of his life, selling the contents of his suitcase to his fellow on the left.
But what can it be? Anything to exploit "natural resources"? Anything to put some more comfort in a fleas life? Or just a lame excuse to suck some blood in the neighborhood...?
Your choice, your decision, bring this scene to life!

And to make it a little easier, here's the image splitted in sprites and background.

The arm

The fleas

Trophys

1st prize

2nd prize

3rd prize

special girl entry prize

I can't remember if there was even one female participant in the animation competition in 2008 - so here's your special price. Hopefully this lures some you female members in ;)

Alright... 22 days, have fun and GO!

Matti

abstauber, this theme is so funny that I consider participating again though I don't have much time.

Those are some damn large fleas (in relation to the watch)...

Phemar

abstauber

...or the arm of child, which can already tell the time?

Well, I've put some more effort into the watch, since I guess nobody really started. But from now on, I don't take anymore complains about the material :)

@Matti: I'm looking forward to your entry. Since the fleas are quite low-res, it shouldn't take too long to push those pixels ;)

derboo

Last round, I had a great idea immediately, but couldn't find the time. Now it looks like I'm gonna have some time, but I guess I have to give some thought to the theme before I can sign up...

Questionable

Quote from: derboo on Thu 13/11/2008 03:38:42
Last round, I had a great idea immediately, but couldn't find the time. Now it looks like I'm gonna have some time, but I guess I have to give some thought to the theme before I can sign up...

Same, I was going to have him trip and crash through the mirror and then the scene melts to a mental hospital. Now i've got to come up with a flea sales pitch.
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

Blue

I'm a girl in disguise but don't tell anyone  8)

**EDIT**

Darrgh! I should never have looked in this thread.. Now look what you made me do!! ;D

Please reload the page -- This animation is 1 minute long, so you might want to watch it from the beginning!
I decided to post this double sized version for better viewing. Hope you don't mind abstauber ;)

Hope to see more participants!

abstauber

What brilliant entry!! I'm actually still laughing over here - just hilarious!

pslim

Awesome entry for an awesome topic. I wish I had the appz and skillz to enter.  :o

Ghost

The final "pop" is defenitely the cherry on the top, Blue- great entry.

Trent R

To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Matti

I'm sorry but I won't join this one. I just don't find the time to participate in any competitions these days. I'm currently working on two adventures as well as on backgrounds for mod's dumbass drivers. Additionaly I have to do a lot for uni, so I'm afraid I won't be able to post any competition entries til march or so.

In this case it's a real pity since I like the given theme a lot. Perhaps I'm going to post a belated entry some day just to honor abstaubers idea.

Ryan Timothy B

It was a very good idea.  If i wasn't spending almost all my remaining time on my newest arcade game (which has put my other games on hold), I would have--without a doubt--made a nice long animation for this.

Twirlly

Well, here’s my entry finally. I actually did most of this right after the rules were posted, but I just got around to finishing it, or getting it as close to finished as I was going to lol. I know it’s a lot to look at between the text and animation, so you probably won’t catch it all in one viewing, but hey you can sit here on the AGS forum and watch it all day if you’d like :).

Also to touch on the whole female entries comment, I myself, yes a woman, have entered 3 animation competitions this year alone not including others in the past, so when you said that, I had to enter this one since we(women) were being called out I guess. Anyway it gave me an excuse to enter since I haven’t in a while, and I had fun as usual. I of course hope to be considered for 1st through 3rd place, and not just the girl prize, but I’ll take that one too ;) ... if no other girl enters and prevails that is *hee hee hee*.

***Note to others besides Blue: make some quick, yet nice, entries people so abstauber can give all of his wonderful trophies away…pleeeease with extra sugar on top, it’s my holiday wish. I love this comp ;D.***
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Gilbert

Hahaha nice one. I like the expressions of the mosquitoes especially. The text is a bit fast for me to read though.

Blue

LOL! Twirly, I love your entry  :D

And yes I agree - Come on and make some entries.
Or else this will end up as the first animation competition where the only participants were the pink price hunters.. I think  ;D

kaputtnik

Well, now you're in a real dilemma, abstauber - who deserves the special girl prize now? And can I maybe get the bronze trophy for this funny remark?
I, object.

abstauber

Sweet, another entry :D

I wouldn't have thought, getting such a quality entry on the finishing line. Really really great and look at all those gadgets - gotta love the cloak!

Well... anyone else - you still have the whole 2nd december. All girls get a suit case and for you boys, there's still bronze left.

And Kaputtnik, you should at least animate something - or leave a proof that you'll deserve the ladies trunk (animated with fleas at best)  ;D

abstauber

Sorry everyone.. I guess you're waiting for the result, but please give me time until tomorrow.
I need to "adjust" the trophies a little more for you two...

abstauber

Alright, ladies :)
First of all, thank you so much for these two terrific entries. That surely was a lot of work and the results are just great.
But let's see how they did compete.

Blue (168 Frames):

the good things:
Excellent animation quality. It's actually so good that it underlines the characters of the fleas instead of just moving them around. The way the hawker sneaks up to his target is unbelivable good. Also it's slipping away in the end - awesome.

the downside:
The storyline is a little on the weak side. One gadget and I'm pondering, why the flea's still blowing up even after it stopped using it.

Twirlly (112 Frames):
the good things:
Perfect storyline. Twirlly, you really understood the scenario.
Lot's of gadgets, the cloak that comes in different tones, the creme... there's more than I'd even imagined. The fleas even leave blains after sucking.
Also the interaction of the "host", flipping away the "sucker"... great great great.

the downside:
The animation itself is good, but not gorgeous. Some parts also would have needed more frames, especially the last part where the hawker gets a last snack.

Conclusion

Twirlly Gold

Blue Silver

'Hope you like flowers ;)

Since both entries have been just great, I had to make a decision whether to  put more weight on the creativity or the presentation. Twirlly's animation  doesn't look as good as blue's, but is far from bad - the storyline however is incredible creative. So her/your entry made the race.

Congrats! You may choose the next topic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk