Sprite Jam 17 Jan - 23 Jan - ninja/samurai

Started by buloght, Sat 17/01/2009 21:11:20

Previous topic - Next topic

buloght

I'm very unoriginal, so I thought it would be best following pirates with ninjas ...

So, design and sprite a ninja assasin or samurai warrior with constraints:

- 128 x 128 maximum pixels
- 24 colours

Privateer Puddin'

Don't be silly, you never see ninjas!

LUniqueDan

Quote from: Privateer Puddin' on Sat 17/01/2009 21:11:55

:D

Just asking, is there any adventure game so far who has a ninja playable character?
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Galen

Quote from: Privateer Puddin' on Sat 17/01/2009 21:11:55
Ninjas are like the wind. You can't see it, but you can see it's effects.

ThreeOhFour

It took me ages to decide how to draw my ninja, then I remembered that real ninjas all wear hats.

6 colours unless you count the grey backdrop colour.

From cutlasses to katanas: Who can complain!?

Edit: Similar to last time, here is the character put into a scene, just for fun.

Again, 6 colours.

Ps, nice sprites Evil and SPC :D

Evil

I did both a ninja assassin and a samurai warrior. Old school fighter style in 3 colors!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteJust asking, is there any adventure game so far who has a ninja playable character?

I guess it depends on what you define 'adventure' to be, but there are lots of actiion-adventure games with ninjas, like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_Gaiden

If you mean a standard point and click affair, though very simple:

http://www.ampgames.com/game/633/Bowja-The-Ninja.html

SpacePirateCaine

Put together a quick entry as a brief break from working on my most recent project. Hope you like!

Samurai. 40x110 pixels, 18 colors + transparency.

Fact: There are also 15 ninjas in this image.
Edit: Added a katana in his right hand, just for fun.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Misj'

Some initial inspirational sketches I drew to see how to get the oriental look (and some armour things).

Samurai not in armour:
1x

The size-limit was a little too much to do justice to this (actually quite simple) design, so I provide two additional versions to show what the character looks like.
- click for 2x enlargement -
- click for 4x enlargement -

Total colours: 9 (from a classical art point of view, not from a pixel-art point of view).
Line-thickness is loosely based on Chinese and Japanese calligraphy to enhance his oriental looks. Other aspects of the design were kept simple and clean to focus on the fluidity of the stance:

The reason why I didn't give him an armour is because I felt this too would distract from the stance (which is a pity, since I would have liked to have a try and draw the armour). The thickness of the lines also accompany this fluidity of the stance (although I feel I could have done that better).

Ghost

As I tossed some ideas around I found antropomorphisation the best way to deal with the theme, so I went for a Gecko.

Geckos make perfect ninjas because they are agile, quick, carry their own poison supply, can do amazing leaps and, most important, are considered to taste nice when dried and put on a stick. They also can toss off their tail, a feat most human ninjas can't copy.

Twelve or so colours, 90x60. No intentional turtle reference at all  :=

x2

TheJBurger

Here is a generic, unoriginal, and unstylized ninja:

2x

Should be 6 colors + background

ALPHATT

I really like yours JBurger

edit: and yours Ben
/sig

bog

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I'd love to see Ghost's sprite with Ben's colors and on Ben's background.  And I have done it!

ThreeOhFour

Ghost

Dudeman Thingface

Steel yourselves for the somewhat symmetrial samurai!

- 16 colours

On a side note, while doing this, I found out that things drawn on my laptop may look good on it, but are horribly contrasted and saturated on any other machine.

Matti

Quote from: Dudeman Thingface on Thu 22/01/2009 02:50:04
On a side note, while doing this, I found out that things drawn on my laptop may look good on it, but are horribly contrasted and saturated on any other machine.

Yeah, regarding colors/brightness I did notice that too working with my new laptop. But a few days ago I managed get the contrast right and now everything looks like it was on my old PC.

IndieBoy

He is swift, he is nimble, he is deadly..

..fat
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk