Tune contest February 2009 Deadline March 1st

Started by boojiboy, Sat 07/02/2009 13:33:19

Previous topic - Next topic

boojiboy

Since no one was declared a winner in the last round of the tune contest, I and PixelPerfect have mutually decided to draw the competition and start a new one. PixelPerfect seemed fine to let me start the new comp so if he's still fine with it, I 'll get things going.

This competition:

Ok I have no idea how to explain the idea that I have for this competition so I'll explain it best I can and if anyone doesn't know what I mean then they can ask. I have some examples the bottom to illustrate my idea.

Firstly and essentially, I want you to do a cover of an existing song. Anything of your choosing!

But more importantly, this is how I want you to create it.

I want you to make the song relaxing.
I want it to be electronic.
I want it to sound retro.
I want it to sound upbeat.

Ok, not clear? Here's an example.
This band is called the moog cookbook. They are awesome. They released two albums in the 90s of covers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQYNcZmbOEc

It is a cover of Soundgarden's 'Black Hole Sun'.

That's basically what I want you to do.
You can do whatever you want really, but you will get extra credit if you're track is this:

-Makes me happy
-Makes me relaxed
-You take a more hardcore sounding song and making it something palatable. Eg. Make a metallica song sound like a tangerine dream song.

Yeah this is pretty convoluted, but hopefully you get my point. Questions? 

EDIT
I just remembered a couple of things.

1. I've been wanting to do this comp for a while and I just remembered that I made a track a while ago as an example of what I wanted to hear.
http://www.box.net/shared/mkiqhqxtji

2.Don't tell us the track that you are doing a cover of. It will be fun to guess.

EDIT (part 2)

The deadline is the 1st of March

Bulbapuck

Great idea! ;)

What's the deadline ???

eternal_renegade

boojiboy

Just a friendly reminder that there are less than two weeks left. Let's start seeing some entries.
I want at least 4!!

Bulbapuck

I've been working on a midi-project since the start and even if I won't finish it in time I will post what I've got. So you'll get one post at least ;)

ps. midi stuff isn't frowned upon right?

boojiboy

Midi is fine.
If you need an extension let me know.

djres

Here is my entry:  http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=bdd51f8ecedc1b9cdd8b33b5aa27078d

As per to rules it is an electronic version of an existing song, specifically "Che soave zeffiretto," an aria from the Marriage of Figaro.  Hope you all like it!

boojiboy

Sounds friggin' awesome man.

But, maybe I wasn't clear enough, I was kind of wanting a more recognisable song. A pop song or rock song not a classical song, since that would be kind of relaxing to begin with.

It sounds great though and it's a valid entry, I'm just making it clear for future entrants.

Also, don't tell us the name of the song.

Thanks for entering.

boojiboy

You heard the man (Andail).
Get them entries in!!!!

I wanna see more than three entries please. I don't care if you spend only five minutes on your song, I want to see something!

If there is less than three entries, then I am personally giving up on the tune contest for good.
Don't let that happen.

Haddas

It's based on Nas - Hero.

Accept it or not, it's an entry!

boojiboy

Thanks man. I haven't got speakers atm so I'll listen to it later but whatever it is, it's accepted.

Oh and again.... PLEASE don't name the tune.

boojiboy

What.... Like, two days left?
Do it!
Do it now!

Strict deadline guys.

Nick Dangerous

boojiboy

I'll give it a couple more hours for some more entries.
If anyone's reading this who hasn't entered, open up your music program, bash your face on the keyboard and send it in.
I'm going for quantity here at this stage.

Bulbapuck and eternal_renegade don't break my heart.

Mazoliin

GET IT NOW!

Hopefully I've followed the rules, at least I got the retro part right.
And who have done it before me?
Spoiler
Motörhead - Ace of Spade
[close]

boojiboy

Alright. Too late.

Let the judging commence.

Djres.
Musically, I like your entry best. I think it's the most polished and best sounding entry.
Like I said before, I wasn't really looking for a remix of a classical composition, but I blame myself for not being clearer I guess.

Haddas.
You seemed to understand the point of the competition well and I really like your entry. It's probably the closest to what I had in mind for this competition. However, musically, it's a little repetitive and a bit too similar to the original track. it would've been nice to listen to the melody taking into a completely different genre. Again, I blame myself, why not?

Nick Dangerous
I'm not sure what you're showing me here buddy. Two youtube clips isn't exactly an acceptable entry. Were you in the band for one of these clips?
I'm going to go ahead and blame myself again.

Mazoliin
Yeah, that's the closest to what I was looking for. Taking a melody to another song and giving a different tone. Good job. Considering you entered at all I have no reason to complain, but the only gripe I have is that it seems to be just an 8-bit cover of the song. I would've like to here a song that didn't sound exactly like a video game, with some regular synth instead of all 8-bit. But it still totally acceptable and I blame myself for.... I don't know... everything.

Anyway, the winner is....

Mazoliin.
Like I said, it was the closest to what I had in mind and it sounded like a clever composition.
They were all good entries.
I was obviously hoping for more, but, maybe the next contest will have better luck.
Thanks everyone for entering and uh... Bulbapack, I'm kind of disappointed.
I promise I will enter in the next competition.

Bulbapuck

Oh man! I was gonna enter in like an hour :'(
Aw well, wouldn't win anyway ;). Congratulations Mazoliin!

EDIT:Thought the deadline was way later (I just woke up) Anyway, here's what was supposed to be my entry:
http://www.mediafire.com/?21bvodutfhw

QuoteBulbapack, I'm kind of disappointed.
hopefully not anymore :P

Mazoliin

Alright! I'll try to start a new one as fast as I can.

boojiboy

Wish you had entered a bit earlier man.
You had a great chance of winning.
Fairs fair though. I announced the winner already so, Mazoliin, when you're ready, the floor's yours.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk