Sprite Jam - The Undead - Winner Announced

Started by ThreeOhFour, Fri 27/02/2009 06:21:13

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeOhFour

It has been far too long since the restless dead have featured in our sprite jams.

This ends now!

You have until the 12th of March to draw an unholy sprite of something not quite alive but not quite dead either. Wikipedia lists undead as the following:

Revenant
Skeleton
Zombie
Ghoul
Ghost
Wraith
Spectre
Lich
Ghast
Mummy
Vampire
Wight

However, if you have an idea that cleverly interprets the theme without being one of these specific entities, it is certainly allowed (providing you make it clear as to how it fits the theme).

Ghost may not draw a picture of himself. Sorry. Unless it's a picture of himself undead, which would be fine  ;D.

You are limited to drawing a sprite that is fully functional for an AGS game - ie, it must fit on screen and must be drawn in a manner which allows animation.

You may begin.

SSH

(deleted)

The spectral incarnation of academic shortcomings:

300px X 150px -- Holding my fifth grade math final.

Ghost

Quote from: Ben304 on Fri 27/02/2009 06:21:13
Ghost may not draw a picture of himself. Sorry. Unless it's a picture of himself undead, which would be fine  ;D.

Awwww man, so you got me coming *and* going  ;)

Will try to enter anyway, space reserved for later haunting.

IndieBoy

An undead ghost would be a living person wouldn't it?
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Matti

Quote from: IndieBoy on Fri 27/02/2009 17:05:07
An undead ghost would be a living person wouldn't it?

If we're going into logic here: Wouldn't anything Undead be living anyway?

Ghost

Not exactly. Life and Death are rumoured to be opposites, but Undead and Unalive are a little more complicated.
I favour the shotgun test. If it goes down after one shot, it was undead. If it takes two shots, it was a hellspawn. Undead also never get the introductionary cut-scene. The way the body dissolves into nicely animated bones and up to three brains (depending on patch) OR into glowing red particles is also a clear sig...
Oh wait, I'm in the wrong game again, ain't I?

Inkoddi

Oh Eggie, I had forgotten about the Three Happy Zombies.
Takes me back in time, to five years ago!

SpacePaw

Simple and classical zombie :) nothing really serious but I kind of like how it turned out

Helme

Did I mention, that my next game is full of odd looking zombies  ;D

bog

i might update this later if i get the time

Misj'

I don't know whether I will have time to do an actual entry, but I'm playing around with a few ideas, and I just wanted to share the concept of one of them.

Quote from: Ben304 on Fri 27/02/2009 06:21:13However, if you have an idea that cleverly interprets the theme without being one of these specific entities, it is certainly allowed (providing you make it clear as to how it fits the theme).

I particularly found the idea of 'interpreting' the theme interesting; according to wiki Undead is a collective name for fictional or legendary beings that are deceased yet behave as if alive. So what could be an unexpected (but fitting) twist on the theme? - Well, there's this one guy who died and came back to walk the Earth (and no, he didn't start Christianity about two-thousand years ago):

...Boddicker executed Murphy with a gunshot to the head. Murphy was transported to the hospital emergency room where he died and his remains were used by OCP in the construction of RoboCop. - wiki. He's deceased yet behaves as if alive. And that makes RoboCop undead. ;)

I don't know if I have time to finish anything, and even if I will I don't know if it's going to be RoboCop, but I just wanted to share this and hopefully motivate people to look beyond the obvious.

Nice theme Ben :)

SSH

Babar

The fearsome bandit Redscarf plagued the roads for many years before he was caught. Although he was tortured to the point of having his legs chopped off, he didn't tell where his loot was hidden. Now he's dead, and although the money's no use to him, he's up to his dacoitry again, this time in his phantom form:

(yeah, it took me 20 bored seconds to come up with that story ;D)
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

IndieBoy

I carry on the zombie theme yet I seem to have copied SpacePaw's Open brain look :(

Static:

And I had to animate an ARMY:
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Mad

didn't quite turn out as intended, but here it is anyways:

It was supposed to be a ghoulish kind of martial arts dude... thing, whatever.
Alas, it ended up looking rather camp!

Evil

I drew the ninjas for a previous Sprite Jam, and I thought I'd make some zombies for them to fight. Then I ended up making a bunch of other enemies too.  :D

1,2 - Ninjas
3,4 - Punks
  5  - Skeleton
  6  - Zombie
  7  - Crappy Frankenstein
  8  - Samurai / TMNT Shredder
  9  - Pirate
10 - Chainsaw Serial Killer
11 - Alien
12 - Mad Scientist
13 - Robot
14 - Super Space Robot
15 - Crocodile
16 - Manbearpig
17 - Big Daddy
18 - Gorilla / D.K.

Aljoho

Who said the undead couldn't be cute, cuddly and, well.....elephant-ish - in a 'oh crap! run for your life!' kind of way.

I present to you:

A Tribute to my success -  A wonky ASCII Trophy
                              .__.
                              (|  |)
                               (  )
                              _)(_

cat

This typical mummy haunts visitors of the museum that miss the end of the opening hours:

x2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk