Tune Contest - REMIX '09 - Until 27th of April *Winner announced*

Started by PixelPerfect, Thu 16/04/2009 16:15:27

Previous topic - Next topic

PixelPerfect

Sorry for the delay. As a compensation I cut few days off the comp.
------------------------------------------

It's time for:

So Justin Timbersea is in trouble again. He's coming up with nonsensical little tunes that will get him nowhere on the charts. Your boss calls you up and says he and Justin need your skills to turn these melodies and beats into something everybody wants to listen. Your boss says it doesnt matter which parts of which song you use. Just make it sound good. He then sends couple of clips for you to analyze and break apart:

Tune nro 1: Click
Tune nro 2: Click

Added couple of small additional tunes for variety:

Tune nro 3: Click
Tune nro 4: Click

Individual sample wav's of songs:

Tune nro1 (15mb rar-file): Tune nro1-sample package
Tune nro2 (17mb rar-file): Tune nro2-sample package
Tune 3 and 4 (6mb rarfile): Tune nro3 and 4-sample package

INFO

Tunes 1 - 3 are 104 bpm and the samples contain one or couple of instruments throughout the whole song (length range from 20 sec - 1 min)
Tune 4 is 140 bpm. Tunes 3 and 4 are missing drums in the sample package because I used a template and cannot be distributed.

RULES

1. You have to use atleast one of the melodic instruments for atleast a bar (4 beats). (This doesn't mean it has to be continuos. You can use two times 2 beats of a clip and so on)
2. You can add as many additional instruments as you please. The tunes are meant to act as a starting point for your own tune.
3. The song should be atleast 0:45 long but no more than 3:00.
4. You should have fun while doing this.

Bonus points for production quality and creativity as in the more you incorporate the samples with a new twist.

If there's any questions or suggestions fire away.

Trophies for the winners:

EDIT: Typos and added rule number 2 to clarify things.
EDIT2: Added couple of additional tunes to help you create.
EDIT3: Tune4 notes are following (the arpeggio in green and bass in dark grey. The arpeggio just jumps an octave up every now and again):

DoorKnobHandle

And, just to make sure, this also means no samples, nothing from outside at all, right?

PixelPerfect

In remixing the author can do whatever he pleases with the original work. So you can add whatever stuff you want to make it your own and use any parts of the two songs that you like and discard the rest. The tunes i supplied are mostly meant as a starting point from where you can head off to any direction. You can make anything from tango to techno. Whatever suits your fancy. Just some parts of the original work has to be in some form in the final piece or otherwise it's not remixing.

DrewCCU

This is a great idea ... i'm definitley going to try and find time to write a piece - i havent had the chance to compete in a tune contest in quite some time - but i should be able to make this one.

just so i'm clear:
we have to use some elements of BOTH of the sample tunes in our original piece? and do we have to use melodic instruments from both of the pieces or just one? cus the first tune is all synthesized instruments.
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

PixelPerfect

Yeah you can use only one instrument from only one tune. That is the bare minimum. :)

DrewCCU

Quote from: PixelPerfect on Fri 17/04/2009 08:07:22
Yeah you can use only one instrument from only one tune. That is the bare minimum. :)

but we CAN use both tunes and multiple instruments (from the samples) if we choose?
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

PixelPerfect

zabnat

Any possibility for a screenshot of the sequencer of tune nro 4? I'm having trouble reverse engineering especially the arpeggio. I have to do it visually as I have no skill to do it properly.

PixelPerfect

I embedded a picture of the notes to the first post. Hopefully that cleared it up a bit.

SpacePaw

Is there a full mp3 for tune number 1? I love how it sounds and would like to hear the full song :)

zabnat

Quote from: SpacePaw on Sat 18/04/2009 19:32:55
Is there a full mp3 for tune number 1? I love how it sounds and would like to hear the full song :)
I think the idea of this contest is that YOU make that full song. ;)

PixelPerfect

Quote from: SpacePaw on Sat 18/04/2009 19:32:55

Unfortunately there's isn't anymore to that tune. I was already late with the competition as it was so I didn't have time to make full songs. Maybe you'll hear the finished version before 28th from some competitor or better yet make your own version like zabnat suggested.   ;)

PixelPerfect

Really nice start for the comp. Just listened to it and it definitely has some strong textures there. The song has a definite wibe of the windchimes as the name implies. There's a little bit of artifacting but it just adds to the general feel of the song. You set the bar really high for the rest of 'em! Good job djres!  :)

Edit: Had time for more notes and a 2nd listen:

The first moments after the beautiful and delicate intro are a bit clunky because the listener doesn't know what he's hearing but then after midpoint the ambient pads and noise take the piece off somewhere magical and the song comes together as a very nice movie piece. Just think of a dramatic (in a sad way) scene and put this in the background.

djres

Thanks very much PixelPerfect for the kind words.  Allow me to be the first to suggest extending the deadline for more entries.

PixelPerfect

Okay the time is almost up if we go by the standard time so hurry up. If nobody asks for continuation for the next two hours I'll close this after midnight.

PixelPerfect

Okay as there are no more entries coming to this competition the jury went on to their chambers and came back with a decision.

The winner of remix comp of the year 2009 is.... *drumroll*

djres

Thanks for the nice entry! :)

djres

Ah, is there anything sweeter than winning by default:)  Thanks very much Pixel, I really like the medal!

I'll be posting a new contest soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk