Sprite Jelly - CAMP COPYCAT RESULTS!

Started by Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens, Sat 18/04/2009 20:26:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

You have been tasked with a 'community project' called Camp Copycat.  Camp Copycat is a game about Mike Higgins, charming prankster, and his adventures at Camp Copycat, a summer camp for ne'erdowells and unlucky children.  At Camp Copycat, virtually anything is possible, but there must be some ground rules before you go and create!

1.  Match (as closely as possible) the style of your character to that of Mike Higgins, well-meaning prankster hero.  This includes the general anatomy (big head, smaller body) and dimensions.  Adult characters or fatter characters can be bigger, just as younger/smaller characters can be smaller, so just use Mike as an average.

2.  Camp outfits must either:

A.  Match the design of Mike's uniform.  You can add clothes over/under the uniform as long as it's clear that they are wearing the blues and reds.

B.  Be a rival camp uniform (yeah, you can have an enemy camp full of goody-goodies or kids even worse if you  want!)

This is necessary for visual consistency, and both girls and boys at the camp wear the same colors!

3.  Create a character that would logically fit into the 'Camp Copycat' mold:  anything from an animal mascot sidekick to a variety of pals for Mike to a group of bullies, even Camp Counselors are allowed!

4.  Color scheme should follow the original but it is not required.  Different skin tones, for instance, are allowed.  There is no set palette aside from approximating the colors of his uniform so you are free to experiment.

5.  Name your character and give him/her a short description so we know where he/she fits into the Camp Copycat universe! 

6.  The style has been kept rather simple and color-lite so many people can approximate it, but if you're having trouble don't give up!  I still want to see your contribution, and this competition is about fun -- don't forget that -- so have fun!

Since the plot of Camp Copycat is wide open, you have a lot of latitude about character design.  Now get in there and make some friends and enemies for Mike!

Edit: Oh, and remember that counselors will be wearing their camp outfits as well.  Exceptions would be Mr. Peabody and Nurse Rubens because they are not leading activities with the children.  Just keep that in mind if you come up with a certain tall, geeky character to be a counselor (or anyone else).

And since the thread's gotten so large, please limit yourselves to just one character, please :).

Arboris

It was fun trying to imitate the style you gave. But making a sitting character might not have been the best idea. 

Concept shooter. Demo version 1.05

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Alarconte

Alek is a classic rebel young-one in a metaphysical goth age, in seek of parents and girls attention. Usually he get in a lot of troubles, 'cause his attitude and looks.
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Hudders

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Great work so far, and quickly done too!

SpacePirateCaine

Krissy Wachowski, Counselor/Swimming class instructor
I figured the game needed at least a little cheesecake.

She's an ex- bad girl. You can tell by the butterfly tattoo on her calf.

I totally think there should be some huge AGS team collaboration to make a Willy Beamish-esque Camp Copycat adventure game. It'd be awesome.

Edit: I liked Aboris's character so much, I decided to borrow the hair colors
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Revan

Dwayne is always trying to get in on the pranks, but he is so clumsy he messes them up, luckily though this just makes the others at Camp Copycat laugh even more at him falling into his own pranks.

Was awesome trying to stick to the style, nice idea!  ;D

ACTUAL ENTRY:

EDIT:
Lol didnt see SpacePirateCaine swim instructor until I posted. What's strange is I made a cool surfer dude 1st, but changed him to look more goofy, here he is:

Seth is a keen surfer, always down at the beach riding waves. He has a major 'thing' for the hot swim instructor Krissy, so he pretends he can't swim so he can have 1on1 lessons with her. (hence the armbands) :)

EdLoen

My attempt at trying to mimic the style... i think i dont quite have it hahah.

And for kicks here's the original sketch not that it's any better hahah.

[edit]Hit post too soon lol.

*ahem*
Young Johnny Halbert discovered at an even younger age the marvel of the internet virus.  Seeing the his distrought parents at the loss of their computer files piqued a deep inpulse in his psyche.  Developing a knack for things electronic, he doesnt go anywhere without his unblocked smartphone and his laptop so he can create on the go anywhere.

When Johnathan creates his viruses, he does so not with the goal to bring down an establishment, but to see the reactions of the people who get hit, and find pleasure in watching them shatter because they put too much dependency on their machines.

deeming  himself like a mad scientist, he wears goggles for no other reason then to mimic the iconic imagry seen in the old movies.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

This could be a record for most entries in a single day, and all of them good!  I especially like Krissy, she puts the CHOW in Wachowski, and that sketch for the malware master is really cool, Ed!

GreenBoy

Ta Duh.  Thats another to the list of characters.  It only occured to me now how much he looks like Vincent of the shortfilm by Tim Burton.

Cecil Samon perpectual worrier of the group gets scaried quite a lot.  He's easily bullied into doing things that he would never do otherwise such as stealing Mr Peabody's cistard square he was saving for an after paperwork treat, being more afraid of his fellow campers than even the authoritys placed over him. 
    Originally his father sent him to Camp Copycat to bolster his confidence and build him some character but so far it has done little to stop his pandering to older, bigger children.
    Cecil is generally well liked by the group being quiet and willing to go along with almost anything anyone says.  He is quite generous always sharing out the biscuits his mother sends him every week, although he would most probably be spending the night up the flagpole if he didn't.

Misj'

You know how much I hate pixel-art, and that I'm incapable of it...

So here's to you ProgZ:

Amber Gleason...master of disguise. A true girl of a thousand faces (you'll never know what she'll look like next)...and nobody has ever seen the real one. But if there's a secret of uncover she's your girl.

(yes, I know...the sprites could just as well be called Lars Gleason, but we needed some girls in the group (and not just one woman)).

Misj'

Ps. and I still hate pixel-art. ;)

Revan

I really think we should make a short game with these sprites.. Do a similar comp but with bg's for the game.. ect... :)

Arboris

Dayum, you really know your female sprite SpacePirateCaine.

Concept shooter. Demo version 1.05

SpacePaw

Quote from: SpacePirateCaine on Sun 19/04/2009 04:25:44
She's an ex- bad girl. You can tell by the butterfly tattoo on her calf.
Butterfly tattoo = bad girl? I would say it's quite the opposite but ok :)

Quote from: SpacePirateCaine on Sun 19/04/2009 04:25:44
I totally think there should be some huge AGS team collaboration to make a Willy Beamish-esque Camp Copycat adventure game. It'd be awesome.

Mmmmmm...Yeah that sounds nice

Akatosh

Man, I wish I knew how to draw...  :-\

While he officially works as the sports instructor, most people (that is, everybody except Mr. Peabody) can't help but think he only works at the camp to be able to bully people three years younger than him. It's a good thing that, like every bully in every show ever, Hermann also is extremely dim. He claims he lost his right eye in a bar brawl. It's probably just hogwash, but so far nobody has been suicidical enough to try and check.

SpacePirateCaine

I'm telling you, it already looks fun. And I'm sure this is some sort of record - we're already up to 9 entries on the first day, not including Progz's original Mike Higgins. I got bored so threw together this group photo. Just for the fun of it, I'm thinking of putting together a few more characters. Maybe another counselor and a proper 'kid' character as well. With a cast like this, I'm sure it'd be pretty groovy.

Oh, and the 'Butterfly tattoo = bad girl' thing was mostly a joke. Though a hot girl with tattoos would probably seem pretty badass to a prepubescent boy at summer camp either way.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

JimmyShelter

Suzy is a dreamer. She's not picked much with team sports, as she tends to wander of to pick flowers or chase butterflies.
She is happy at camp, lot's of interesting places, people and animals to have fun with. Or to dream about ofcourse...

I love the group 'photo', SPC. I was planning on suggesting it in my post, but you were quicker than I can post!

Kastchey

Stella Rubens, qualified nurse. Be sure you never get hurt boys and girls, or you'll fall into her hands...

JimmyShelter

Ooh, she's scary!

Or just misunderstood?  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk