TEMPLATE: 9-verb MI-style 1.6.4 - Last update: 4th April 2019

Started by abstauber, Thu 17/09/2009 16:16:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Unai

Quote from: Unai on Tue 18/01/2011 22:34:43
Just in case "Restable" is a typo :p

Sorry!

About Unhadled... I'd translate them... would be a bit weird to have just some lines in english, would probably confuse people that don't speak english at all (the ones that will probably seek a translation)
I am a deeply superficial person

abstauber

Quotewould be a bit weird to have just some lines in english, would probably confuse people that don't speak english at all
Hehe, since there's no localized version of the AGS editor yet, I suppose that doesn't count :P

How about "P.defecto" then?

Unai

"Cfg Dfcto" ?? (Configuración por defecto)
"CfgOrigen" (Configuración origen) <- Not very correct

OMG, all this trouble for a single button... :p

I am a deeply superficial person

Monsieur OUXX

I've translated only the lines that will be visible to the player, not the lines that will be used by the developer (because I guess they're used by the code and it would break the module)

abstauber

Thanks a lot for the input, everyone. Here's the new beta:

http://shatten.sonores.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/9verbs_13_beta.zip

1.3    added GUI translations for Spanish, French and German
         slightly expanded buttons in options GUI
         added old school inv handling

@Unai and Monsieur OUXX

Could you please check if I've included your translations correctly?
In guiscript.asc, just change line 6 to
int lang = eLangES; 
or
int lang = eLangFR; 

poplamanopla

Hi, I'm not Unai but I can also help to you ...   :)

At first glance, all seems be OK (spanish translation).

If you allow me a suggestion you can add more comment more before line 6:

// Setup the default Language (only affects the provided GUIs)
//
// eLangDE (German)
// eLangEN (English)
// eLangES (Spanish)
// eLangFR (French)
//

It would be good a translation into Italian  ;)

A little mistake (if can be called mistake ...)

In line 569 comment is // Spanish (again) but should be // French.

By other way.

I see that text in options aren't centered (in previous version too)  if can't resolved easily, you could always use sprites like in the verbs.

That's not very important but would be more nice.

abstauber

Alright, fixed my copy paste comments :)

As far as the option buttons are concerned, I'd rather not switch over to sprites: text is so much more convenient.
The only reason why the verbs are implemented as sprites is that you can't have highlighting on text buttons.

Oh and yes, more translations are very welcome!

Giowe

tnx for the help. now i have an other problem:
when i have more then 5 or 6 dialog opions they will disappear, how can i implement the famous 2 monkey island style arrows to scroll the dialog options up and down?

abstauber

Monsieur OUXX

I understand that it is your design choice that the GUI language supercedes the game's language. Is it a wise choice?

Also, how does the "lang = eLangFR" relate to "if (tr_lang =="fr")"? The first one is for the game GUI, and the other one for the game's translations?

abstauber

@Giowe:
Great. Good to hear that's not too hard to master the CDG module :)

@Monsieur OUXX:
Of course it is :P Hehe, from a more  serious point of view, I think it is very convenient and also attracts more beginners to start a 9verb game in their language.

The template only provides translations for the GUI elements, so you can directly jump in and start making the game without the need to worry how .trs files work or how to set up those wicked text strings for the verb buttons.

Just think how it would be in 1.2.1:
- First you have to create new verb sprites and announce them deep inside the script, using a cryptic space separated string.
- Then you hopefully create a game and think about translations. You have to add more verb sprites and create the .trs files.
- Then you need to adjust the text strings inside the .trs and finally send it to your translators.
Not to mention that you also need to understand how the sprite verb systems works.

In 1.3 it is:
- Set lang to your preferred language, like "eLangFR"
- Make your game
- Create e.g. "spanish.trs", translate "GAME_LANGUAGE" to "es" and send it away (or do it afterwards)
Done

From a designers point of view, it's the template's task to provide the GUI and the users task to make that game. Therefore it's not the users top priority to worry about how one can setup GUI buttons with nine text strings ;)

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: abstauber on Thu 27/01/2011 20:06:12
@Monsieur OUXX:
From a designers point of view, it's the template's task to provide the GUI and the users task to make that game. Therefore it's not the users top priority to worry about how one can setup GUI buttons with nine text strings ;)

You do make sense -- I was just wondering why the template doesn't simply get its default language value from the game's selected runtime language.
Something like: lang = tr_lang       (it wouldn't work like that but you know what I mean).

It's just a suggestion. Otherwise if the game creator distributes his game with an "English" GUI, then no matter what language the player selects, he'll be stuck with an English GUI, even though the rest of the game will be in German/Spanish/French..

abstauber

Doesn't this piece of code take care of it?

Code: ags

function game_start() {

String tr_lang;
  // --- translate GUI action buttons ---
  tr_lang = GetTranslation("GUI_LANGUAGE");
  tr_lang = tr_lang.LowerCase();

if (tr_lang == "de") {
    lang = eLangDE;
  }
  else if (tr_lang =="es") {
    lang = eLangES;
  }
  else if (tr_lang =="fr") {
    lang = eLangFR;
  }  
  else if (tr_lang =="en") {
    lang = eLangEN;
  }    

GUI_LANGUAGE appears in the .trs file and needs to be set to the according language

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: abstauber on Fri 28/01/2011 11:37:17
Doesn't this piece of code take care of it?

OK I guess that's what confusing me : when I tested beta 1.3, the GUI was in French because of that line :
int lang = eLangFR;   

Is it something you added just for test's sake?

abstauber

Yep :D

edit--

or wait:

"int lang = eLangFR"  is for the initial language setup. GUI_LANGUAGE from the .trs overrides this once you have translation files.

But initially it should be eLangEN, which I forgot to set back.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: abstauber on Fri 28/01/2011 12:10:31
or wait:

HA! YOU SUCK!

Hehe, ok, that makes more sense. Bottom line is : Great module!!!

Giowe

i found a bug:
if you click rapidly many times the left button of the mouse to say to your character to go in a place, every time you click he stop his movement, and, after a series of clicks he stops definitively and you cant move at all...

abstauber

Hmmm... I can't replicate this (AGS 3.2) and I clicked like 2 minutes on the same spot.
Roger never totally stopped walking or animating. Anyone else having this problem?

Giowe

i use ags 3.1. i'l try with 3.2... the error was my fault but if u click many times in different spots he will stop :\
anyway you see that if u click many times the character nearly stop?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk