Sprite Jam - Fantasy Creature, ends 2/20 (ITS OVER)

Started by Darius Poyer, Mon 08/02/2010 22:32:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius Poyer

Lets get another one of these going.

The topic is 'Fantasy Creature', this could be anything as long as its not something we find around us in the real world. It could be something from your own imagination or something from, say, a film or book.

Pixel artists: You can only use 6 colours (not counting black, white or the background alpha-colour), this also includes shading colours.

Digital painters: You can use 6 base-colours (not counting black, white or the background alpha-colour), as with pixel art, shadows and highlights should be accounted for in the base-palette.

bonus points for colourfull creatures!

Final note then, remember that this is supposed to be something usable as an asset in an AGS game.

Trophy-stash:

Misj'

Quote from: Darius Poyer on Mon 08/02/2010 22:32:58there is one rule however, it must only contain a total of 6 colours. Less is fine but no more than 6.
Does this include anti-aliasing?

Theme

Darius Poyer

Quote from: Misj' on Tue 09/02/2010 12:40:59
Quote from: Darius Poyer on Mon 08/02/2010 22:32:58there is one rule however, it must only contain a total of 6 colours. Less is fine but no more than 6.
Does this include anti-aliasing?

that would technically be adding more colours. I would suggest using dithering, like Exsecratus did.

Jakerpot

But if it is digital painting? Then the antialias will not count will it? *Beacauae anti aliasing is automatic in digital paint, not pixel art*

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

You can turn off aliasing in every art program I know of.

Misj'

Quote from: ProgZmax on Wed 10/02/2010 06:43:55You can turn off aliasing in every art program I know of.
Corel Painter, Digicel Flipbook...both used extensively by professionals (the former for digital art, the latter for animation (including by Disney)). Both used extensively by me. And neither of them can (really) turn off the anti-aliasing effect.

Which was why I asked. If I'm limited to 6 colours in the final image (rather than 6 colours in my base palette (as it would be for digital painting)) then my drawing-style is effectively excluded (which - if I had more time - might be an interesting challenge, but unfortunately I don't have that much time on my hands at the moment)...and we're back at the infamous discussions on setting rules that apply both - but differently - to pixel art and digital painting (which I really don't think needs to be rattled up again). :)

Darius Poyer

I didn't expect thins kind of thing to crop up at all.

Ultimately though, I feel like a contest labeled as "sprite jam", sprite being the operative word, is a pixel-art contest. I don't think I've ever seen something referred to as a sprite being anything else. So ill go with that.

Jakerpot

I'm almost sure Exsecratus didn't pixelated all this thing, you can see some traces in the wings that make me feel it was drawed normally in the computer and then reduced the pallete with dithering... I don't know, just saying, just saying...

Theme

Chicky

Using 6 colours in a base palette and then using them to paint digitally is not using six colours, any way you look at it. What do i get if i mix red and blue? Blue and black?

Sprites aren't just specific to pixel art thought, it's a term used to describe any interactive media within a game; 3D included. Normally it's specific to two dimensional media but plenty of modern games call their interactive 3D objects sprites.

Misj'

Quote from: Chicky on Wed 10/02/2010 15:49:14Using 6 colours in a base palette and then using them to paint digitally is not using six colours, any way you look at it. What do i get if i mix red and blue? Blue and black?
By 'base colours' I didn't mean colours before mixing. My meaning was closer to 'flats' (as comic-artists would refer to it). I think the confusion arose because I used the term digital painting rather than tradition animation art.

If you look at this image that I did for a last-year spritejam:

From a traditional animation art point of view, the final palette of the image (the base colours) was 9 colours. However, from a pixel-artist's point of view my palette is much bigger and I use way more colours.

The reason why I used the term 'base colours' was to make the distinction between these and shadows/highlights (which I often draw as a single colour on a separate layer and then mix with the downstream layers).

Anyway, Darius clearly stated that the current spritejam is restricted to pixel art. And since he's the organizer of this bi-weekly jam, he's allowed to set that limitation. It just means that I'm too restricted to join (maybe next time...). But I don't doubt that others will send in many truly nice entries.

Jim Reed

A sword wielding goblin:

3x

I decided to leave it be, maybe I'll make another entry.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Jim Reed on Wed 10/02/2010 23:28:07
Don't know how to make that blue transparent. Anyone?
Umm... make it transparent and save as PNG with transparency.

Darius Poyer

Id just like to say that i cannot deny the fact that I did not fully understand the issue at hand. Ultimately it may be unfair to not allow digital painting as it is a very prominent part of many AGS games. I do not want to exclude anyone from entering because I declared something haphazardly and in ignorance.

Because there are two very distinct categories of AGS game-art I will refine the rules regarding color as follows.

Pixel artists: You can only use 6 colours (not counting black, white or the background alpha-colour), this also includes shading colours.

Digital painters: You can use 6 base-colours (not counting black, white or the background alpha-colour), as with pixel art, shadows and highlights should be accounted for in the base-palette.

Jakerpot

OK guys, so select 6 collors, and paint, paint, paint and don't worry about the rest! If you have choosen only 6 colours in the pallete, you don't have to worry!

Is that right, right?

Jim Reed

Quote from: Darius Poyer on Thu 11/02/2010 05:05:15

Why, thank you, I'll add some colours tomorrow, considering the leeway you just anounced.

abstauber

Jurassic Chicken Dude watching stuff

x3

6 colours + b/w = 8 colours 8)

Arboris

Quote from: Jim Reed on Wed 10/02/2010 23:28:07
Don't know how to make that blue transparent. Anyone?

I usually use GIMP for that (It's free!).

1. Select the background you want to make transparent with the 'fuzzy select tool'. You can select multiple area's by pressing and holding the Shift key. (Note: Fuzzy select's threshold should be standard on 15 I believe, otherwise you need to set it lower if you're more 'fuzzy selecting' then you want).
2. Hit your 'Delete' key on your keyboard. You should now see a checker pattern for the parts you deleted
3. 'Save as' either a .GIF or .PNG

Viola, transparent background

Concept shooter. Demo version 1.05

Darius Poyer

I made this genie creature.

Just for the sake of it, its not an entry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk