Oceanspirit Dennis: The Naked & The Ninja

Started by Ponch, Thu 28/10/2010 06:20:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch

RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES!

Video games, Halloween costumes, a Saturday morning cartoon, McDonald's Happy Meal toys, and a controversial appearance on Sesame Street. There's no denying it. Oceanspirit Dennis is everywhere you look these days. And for the obvious reason: It is clearly the greatest thing ever.

But as this pop culture tsunami sweeps over us, let us take a moment to honor the visionary pioneers who blazed the trail that so many others have followed.

First, Snake combined a random and nonsensical assortment of words to create a work of sublime genius in what must surely be the greatest thread the AGS forums have ever known.

Then Ben304 baffled us with Scourge of the Underworld

DDQ went all George Lucas on us by taking a game we had already played, slapping the words "Special Edition" on it, and expecting us to line up for it. And we did.

Then Ben reminded us to never give up on love in Mighty Pirate

And Discordance taught that dumping all your points into one stat was the only way to get ahead in life in OSD: The RPG

Then somebody tried to pass off Pirates On The Poopdeck as a real game. But no one was fooled.

Finally, DDQ returned to expand the OSD world from a single room to the glorious two room masterpiece Blades of Passion.

But now, the universe of Oceanspirit Dennis is set to expand again... From the previous high water mark of two rooms, the bar has now been raised to... TWO ROOMS! (But now one of them is a scrolling room!)

Do you dare join Life Partner Ray on his adventure to save Oceanspirit Dennis from the ninjas who are holding him hostage for nefarious purposes? If you want to be like all the other cool kids, then of course you do!

SO DOWNLOAD IT NOW and catch the OSD wave before it leaves you behind and everyone points and laughs at you!

(Get The Source Code Here)

Thanks to Snake for playtesting it. And thanks to Frodo for translating certain lines of dialog into that crazy Scottish language she speaks.

Hope you guys enjoy it!

- Ponch

Gilbert

We should make an OSD sub-forum from now on, as this HUGH collaborating series is being actively worked on, more so than what we call R.O.N. ;D

Wonkyth

This is fantastic!
Will actually play this one! :P
When does Square Peniks and OSD get a website?
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Frodo

LOVE that Caterwaul Crookshanks character!  He's braw!!!   ;D

Technocrat

I spent ages just going around trying to pimp everything...

Ponch

QuoteLOVE that Caterwaul Crookshanks character!  He's braw!!!
Personally, I couldn't understand a word he said. ;)

QuoteI spent ages just going around trying to pimp everything...
Baby, that's how I live my life every day.

QuoteWhen does Square Peniks and OSD get a website?
I'm archiving copies of the older games as we speak. I hope to have a rudimentary website up in another week or so.

QuoteDOWNLOADING !!!!! GOGOGOGO!!
Now that's the kind of enthusiasm I was talking about when I put that copy of AGS Today together. Clearly everyone loves OSD!

QuoteWe should make an OSD sub-forum from now on, as this HUGH collaborating series is being actively worked on, more so than what we call R.O.N.
To be fair, OSD just has the "new car smell" that I love so much. i really wanted to make a RON game. But there are so many games and so much continuity, that adding a new chapter to that story is kind of daunting. OSD wisely gets around that pitfall by ignoring its own continuity with each new game. :D

Anyhoo, thanks for all the nice comments guys. It makes all those sacrificed lunch breaks I spent making this thing worth it!

- Ponch

ddq

Well, I played the motherlover, and I played it good. Highest congratulations to Ponch for introducing the most new characters into the Oceanspiritverse at once!

I have so many good things to say, but I can't put them into words.

Igor Hardy

Playing right now and I am like why I cant shoot everything with my pistol? Especially the ninja door slot!

Ponch

QuoteI have so many good things to say, but I can't put them into words.
That sounds like Hansel talk to me. A real pirate / ninja wouldn't give up so easily. ;)

QuotePlaying right now and I am like why I cant shoot everything with my pistol? Especially the ninja door slot!
Because Ray is a lover, not a fighter. :D

Buckethead

Funky!  :D

Hower when I interact with something the text goes so fast I can't read it. Even when I lower the text speed. I guess I'm not a ninja like you guys.

Intense Degree

Another great game in what some are calling the greatest game series ever.

The only other opinion out there is from those who know it is the greatest series ever!

Great work Ponch, lots of fun as always!

Ponch

Quote from: Buckethead on Fri 29/10/2010 09:21:47
Funky!  :D

Hower when I interact with something the text goes so fast I can't read it. Even when I lower the text speed. I guess I'm not a ninja like you guys.

Really? That's strange. I don't know what could be causing that. If you want, I could edit the GUI and set the slider value even lower for text speed to slow it down even more.

Also, thank you Intense Degree. Glad you liked it!

tzachs

Awesomeness all around!
I really loved the walkcycle for LPR, you definitely nailed the character (if you know what I mean)!
I see that you liked it too, seeing that every puzzle required walking to the other side of the street  ;) 

Ponch

Quote from: tzachs on Sat 30/10/2010 14:48:38
Awesomeness all around!
I really loved the walkcycle for LPR, you definitely nailed the character (if you know what I mean)!
I see that you liked it too, seeing that every puzzle required walking to the other side of the street  ;) 

*Ahem* Surely you're not suggesting I suck at game design?I'll have you know that these days, it's an incredibly popular choice to artificially embiggen the game play experience by placing all the puzzles as far away from each other as possible. Just like real game pros do. Next time around, I'll go the extra step and force the player to use a checkpoint save, thus embiggening the gaming experience even more! ;)

Also, where is that Life Partner Ray game you were working on? The world needs more OSD! :D

- Ponch

tzachs

Oh noes, you got me all wrong!
Isn't the whole point in OSD is bad game design?
Well, that makes it a good game design.
My game is on the way, and if you thought you've seen some bad/good game design, then prepare to get your funky socks knocked off, since this will have some of the worst/best game design eva!

Icey

How many OSD's are there?

Ponch

Quote from: icey games on Sat 30/10/2010 18:33:21
How many OSD's are there?
That I know of? 7.

* Scourge of the Underworld
* Scourge of the Underworld (Deluxe Edition)
* Mighty Pirate
* OSD: The RPG
* Pirates on the Poopdeck!
* Blades of Passion
* The Naked and the Ninja

There are also a few of others in the works but not finished yet. Plus ProgZMax hinted at a game but it has yet to materialize.

Also, Tzachs: Oh noes indeed! Don't worry, buddy. I took no offense at all. Looking forward to your game. And it seems that Ben304 needs to get another OSD game together. DDQ and I have both tied him for first place when it comes to filling out the OSD universe.

- Ponch

kconan

The funky music puts me in pimp mode, and not just in-game.  Fun stuff!

Ponch

Quote from: kconan on Sun 31/10/2010 15:03:14
  The funky music puts me in pimp mode, and not just in-game.  Fun stuff!

Thanks. But I have to give the credit to the guys at Newgrounds. I went to the music section and searched for "funky." They certainly delivered!  ;D

Icey, are those bat wings on OSD? I guess he really is the secret lovechild of Batman! :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk