Sprite Jam: Bartender (closed - Winner announced!)

Started by Sughly, Tue 02/11/2010 06:08:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Sughly

Alrighty, new sprite jam is to concoct a Bartender.

For what bar? Who knows. Maybe a grungy, biker back alley salloon, maybe an old English tavern, maybe a Cantina at Mos Eisley. Either way, we're looking for what your NPC will look like behind that counter serving those beverages. Besides, what's an adventure without a drinking hole?

Rules are pretty much open - any amount of colour and any resolution, so long as it results in a character that can be used in an AGS game. I'll open it up for voting on 16th November, so get your entries before then. Good luck!

DuncanFx

Hi. My first attempt at spriting (generally more comfortable with vectors) and a sprite jam, I hope you like it. I wanted to make a pirate bartender with a corkscrew attachment instead of a hook, but couldn't draw a corkscrew without it looking like a mad jumble of sprites, so went with the 'stuck bottle' angle instead. :)

Sughly

Haha, love it! Very nice work, particularly for your first sprite  ;D

Ilyich

Cheerful to the point of sinister, the BOTender-3000 (can't think of a better pun, sorry). And he is the counter.
Probably won't work that well as a sprite, but what the hey. :)

Tabata

WOW - Ilyich, I'd love to have one of those at home! Looks awesome and really busy  :o

Sughly

Haha, awesome. That bottle at the top makes me nervous though, its direction of spill looks very dubious...

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

One of the most fearsome and greedy pirates of the Caribbean, Captain 'Bad' Bart Anders was not only a fearsome captain but a fierce drunkard, wasting his plunder on card games and bars all over the world.  Unfortunately, Bart's greed caught up to him one day when he attacked a lone Spanish treasure galleon only to discover it was fully manned with the best fighters and gunners in the Spanish Navy.  Suffering numerous injuries including partial vision loss in his good eye from an explosion and his ship taking on water, Bart nevertheless seized two casks of gold from the galleon before retreating to Jamaica where he was forced to abandon his ship in the shoals, leaving him and his crew shipwrecked and with nothing to do with their plunder.

Realizing his captaining days were over, Bart paid carpenters in the city to disassemble his ship and rebuild it on land not far from the city, turning it into a tavern for the 'elite' of the pirate crowd.  Called 'Bart Anders' Folly', the tavern became a huge success, partly due to Bart's intimate knowledge of drinks from around the world, which he gleefully served up to his patrons at prices that soon made him the wealthiest man on the island.

Ilyich

ProgZmax, awesome! Not really into pirates, but that's just great. Your pixel art is always so detailed and precise, simply wonderful.

Sughly

Amazing as always ProgZmax. Nice read, too!

Tuomas

I was going to post an animated .gif of a bartender, originally courtesy of Hobbes and animation by me for the never published Buccaneer2 -game, but I'm having troubles zooming it in :(

It's a bit faster than in the game, and I made it loop a bit. Oh, and apparently I still had it here. This is no entry though of course since it's old and not designed by me.

The Last To Know

Try:
Code: ags
[img width=144 height=144]http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3020/barmanidle.gif[/img]

Sughly

Haha, very nice. Really well done little animation actually, will be interesting to see what your game is like...

Such good entries! Yay! Keep them coming in though people...

Anian

I sketched in PS yesterday, will turn to sprite tonight probably....ok, here it is. Not what I wanted (started off as a Cthulu type creature with tentacles), still just to have a "regular" (as in - no imagination) enterance in this jam.  ;D Still, this is good exercise.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Sughly

Love it, looks great anian. Somehow I don't trust him. The pale face, the blank expression. Looks like a bartender from a David Lynch film or something. But that's a good thing!

Bob Bannerman

I rushed this one up continually having to bang my head against the desk - I have to learn how to use these graphics progs.

As well as looking "Viz" cartoon-ish he smacks of the no nonsense athlete employed in the kind of tavern that has mountains of unswept sawdust on the floor hiding goodness know what. He's in the animation I am most used to with barmen; the "Get Out" stance... I dunno let's call him Bob.

Tuomas

Quote from: Sughly on Fri 12/11/2010 12:57:10
Haha, very nice. Really well done little animation actually, will be interesting to see what your game is like...

Sadly, thought the original Buccaneer was brilliant, Hobbes disappeared years ago, and the game'll never be finished :(

Armageddon

Quote from: Ilyich on Mon 08/11/2010 19:28:04
Cheerful to the point of sinister, the BOTender-3000 (can't think of a better pun, sorry). And he is the counter.
Probably won't work that well as a sprite, but what the hey. :)

What do you use to draw? I love the shading.

Ilyich

Armageddon, I'm using Photoshop CS3 with a graphics tablet (an old Wacom Graphire). And thanks! :)

Also, I agree with Sughly about anian's bartender being slightly creepy in a good way. :)

Sughly

Alrighty, that will just about do it! I'm going to put it down to a vote because democracy is cool and well, I'm a lazy fencesitter. A single vote for your fave will do it methinks.

I'll begin with a vote for ProgZMax, despite loving each and every entry.

loominous

After his last voyage ended in a nasty shipwreck, mr Pickles, former assistant to famed explorer Montgomery de Maere, finds himself tending a bar to save up for the long journey home.
Looking for a writer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk