Sprite Jam: ALTERNATE UNIVERSE! 12-8 to 12-21 - WINNER!

Started by Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens, Wed 08/12/2010 19:24:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Have you ever wondered what The Secret of Monkey Island would have looked and played like if it had been made by ATARI?  Or what if King Graham's adventures were a product of Epyx (they made Impossible Mission) and released solely for the Commodore 64?

WELL NOW IS YOUR CHANCE, BECAUSE THIS IS:

SPRITE JAM: ALTERNATE UNIVERSE!

The rules are simple:

1.  Take a classic adventure game (cannot be a text game, obviously!) and teleport it through time and space to a world where a different developer had made it!  Think about the style and design choices specific developers have adopted and re-imagine the game the way they'd have done it!

2.  Follow the color restrictions of the target system/console used as closely as possible.

3.  A single mock-up action shot of the game is required, though you may do as many as you like.  No title screens unless they are accompanied by an action shot, please.

4.  Please include a SEPARATE image just with the sprites you've created.  This is so I can have a nice look at the sprites themselves, which is the purpose of the sprite jam.

5.  You must have fun.

*BONUS:  In addition to color, obey ALL limitations of the medium you are presenting the game on, such as the limit to on-screen sprites on the gameboy/NES, resolution, and so on.

*BONUS 2:  BOX ART!  Provide some box art for the system the game is for and a short summary of the story and features!

Remember, not only can you take any classic game and place it in the hands of a completely different (but real) developer, you can also show it on a device it never (or has yet to) appear, like Beneath a Steel Sky rendered faithfully (hehe) on Colecovision.  

GOOD LUCK.  For you overachievers who want to do everything, I'll be happy to extend the competition by (1) week if necessary.  

Armageddon

Sounds like a lot to do in just 1 week. ???

But I have an idea, and it shouldn't be to hard to do.

Eggie

I think it's worth considering a new Monthly Mock-Up contest for these things because they are super fun.
I'll try and enter this one

Armageddon

Ok, I have an idea that I think will fit my skill level and will be super fun to make. ;D

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Remember, the bonus stuff is purely optional, and as I say, I can extend the competition a week if there are enough people that want to do everything.

theo

heh NOW I actually bothered to read the rules and realized maybe I should have focused on SPRITES not backdrop and gui. Oh well!

See if you can guess the game:P

Published by: Kemco/Seika
Developed by: ICOM Simulations, Inc.
Released: Mar, 1988
Platform: NES

I belong to the odd crowd that first started playing adventure games on the nes. It has left me warped for life!
Wow, the past two hours have been very odd, yet entertaining! Thanks!

Wyz

Ha! :D That was exactly what I wanted to do if I had time to enter.
Nice job! ;D
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Armageddon

That looks awesome! It took me a moment to figure it out, but when I did I was kind of sad because that's my favorite game. :P

Pinback

Peachy keen entry Theo.

I played my first adventure on the NES too!

Pinback

Game: Pathologic
Developer: OCEAN
System: Game Boy
Year: 1993

Resolution: 160 x 144
Palette: 4 shades

Here's a screenshot of the actual game- which was also the picture reference for my entry;

Sslaxx

Quote from: theo on Fri 10/12/2010 00:05:06
heh NOW I actually bothered to read the rules and realized maybe I should have focused on SPRITES not backdrop and gui. Oh well!

See if you can guess the game:P
Heh, filenames for the easy win.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

theo

gah cheater sslaxx!

Pinback that looks awesome. Would have played it if I had the chance:)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Looking good!  I especially like how theo went back to some of Kemco's classics like Shadowgate and Uninvited for inspiration.  Very convincing work!

Pinback

Quote from: theo on Sat 11/12/2010 16:59:26
gah cheater sslaxx!

Pinback that looks awesome. Would have played it if I had the chance:)

Thanks!
Pathologic is awesome in my opinion- a real one-of-a-kind game (although technically it's billed as Action/Adventure- I expect to lose points for this) and some great music in it to boot. The only real negative in Pathologic is the translated dialogue is almost incomprehensible.

Armageddon

I hope I can get mine done soon, drawing in sierra style is harder than you think, mostly because they have terrible background art. :(

Gilbert

Developed and published by: Square Penik
Original game by: ...isn't it a bit too obvious?  ::)
Platform: Nintendo Family Computer

4x

In-game screenshot:

I have taken some liberty and I possibly didn't follow all the design choices the developer would take, but I swear that the graphics follow the specs of the target system and I have PROOF!111!one!11! (Whether the composition is practical though, is not gauranteed.) :=

Edit on 14-12-2010: Proof updated to fix some roughness. Old proof is here.

theo

Woah Awesome:D definitely has that nes feel to it! I tried for the life of me to get that awkward nes perspective going but couldn't get it right.

Sughly

Might I just say, the entries for this one have been so awesome. I couldn't pull something like off myself, so I'll remain a spectator ;D

Dualnames

Ah blast, I just saw the restriction to the genre :(
Oh, well, here goes anyhow:

Game: QWOP
Developer: J.K. Greye Software
System: ZX81
Year: 1981

From the guys that brought you 3D-maze, comes the most innovative game of all time!!!

Also I tried to follow the restrictions of the ZX81 as much as possible. The character sprite has been rotoscoped. Perhaps I need to change the letters (thighs and calves) into the ZX style. If you feel that should be done, I have no argument.

*BONUS 2:  BOX ART!  Provide some box art for the system the game is for and a short summary of the story and features!

Hopefully I'll make a small cartridge of this today. I'd like to suggest a bonus. The making of the game.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Gilbet that's pretty neat!  You should follow through and actually make a NES game :).

Keep the entries a-flowing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk