Background Blitz - Greek (April12-26, 2011) - WINNER ANNOUNCED

Started by oraxon, Tue 12/04/2011 07:09:53

Previous topic - Next topic

oraxon

Minibannière_stèles collage by Savant-fou at commons.wikimedia.org

Make a background with something Greek in it: a Greek restaurant, the Trojan Horse, the Barnett College antiquities museum...it can be any time period or genre, any mood.

Low-res, high-res, 3D render, sculpted clay, every style welcome.

The BG should be AGS compatible...   (which basically means a maximum of 1024 x 768 pixels)

Entries end at midnight April 26th, unless you ask for an extension. Voting starts April 27th. GO!

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Anian

I don't want the world, I just want your half

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: oraxon on Tue 12/04/2011 07:09:53
(which basically means a maximum of 800x600 pixels, right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
1024 x 768 actually. :P

oraxon

Ilyich

I wanted to enter this one, came up with an idea, but when I started sketching it out, I completely forgot, that it's supposed to be a game background. I realized that only halfway through, so I had to finish it like it was.

There was only one rule, and I've managed to break it! ;D Can we pretend it's for a cutscene with some panning down? :D Anyway, here it is, maybe I'll cook up a proper entry later:

oraxon

Wow, that's terrific! It would make a riveting opening cutscene. I didn't state it at the top, but the categories include --

Functionality:  How well it would work as a background, with clearly defined entries and walkable areas, as well as a good viewing angle (this also includes introductory shots of an area as long as a player character can be present in the scene).

So it is totally legitimate. I can imagine the player character inching along the platform by the statue on the right. However, I'm greedy for more Ilyich art, so maybe you should cook up another entry.    ;D

TheRoger

Wow, Ilyich, greek and sci-fi combined. That's is definitely what I'm going to use in my game  ;)

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Snarky

I love the palette. Azure blue and orange-yellow. Very nice.

Mad

Awsome Ilyich!

I had something similar in mind, but seeing yours now I'm glad I scrapped my feeble attempts!

And I'm with Snarky concerning the palette, absolute genius!

By the by, does anyone remember this?

oraxon

Ha! Funny link. If someone had tried to describe that to me, I would've said they were...mad.

One week left, everyone!

Sughly

Pinback

Yeah totally sweet palette Ilyich, I love your melange of retro-futurism too. Awesome.

Sughly

Pinback you disappoint me! I saw your name on this thread and opened it up expecting a Pinbackesque Greece :(

Dualnames

Quote from: Sughly on Wed 20/04/2011 03:48:50
Pinback you disappoint me! I saw your name on this thread and opened it up expecting a Pinbackesque Greece :(

PINBACK GET BACK TO WORK! NOW!

Pinback

@ Sughly - Gah, there's just so many robots to make and so little time!

@Dualnames - Gah! I am working, sorta. Thinking about working is working right?

oraxon

One more day left, everyone! Post a note if you want an extension!
Here's mine -- not eligible for this competition -- a frat house with Greek letters.

...and some unexpected guests.

oraxon

Well, I don't think we need to vote. I'll call it:

ILYICH WINS! :)

Thanks for the terrific entry, Ilyich! And thanks to everybody who commented.

It was a challenge to be original with this theme, I can see that now. If I ever get to host again, I'll pick something simpler, promise.

Anian

Your background was quite good as well oraxon (and actually usable in game).  :)
I don't want the world, I just want your half

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk