"Epic Game" Idea

Started by Sickened, Thu 30/06/2011 05:34:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Sickened

Alright, so I've recently begun work on a new game called "Epic Game"..(I know, epic name huh?). It contains a very loose storyline, if you could really call it a storyline at all, and the storyline in itself is not something I'm too worried about. Basically the idea of the game is loosely based around the idea of the movie "Epic Movie," which if any of you have seen, is essentially making fun of other movies. The idea of this game is to do just that, but instead of movies, it's pointing fun at other popular games, whether they're considered adventure games or not, ex: Mario, Sonic, Crash, other "classic games," and even Halo, Doom, Half-Life, Call of Duty, etc. I've been playing around with different games, how they would look, etc., and I like how it's turning out to a certain point, but I'd just like to gather any input you guys might have.

Ideas/Concepts so far:
--The game is NOT a point-and-click game, and actually doesn't use the mouse at all. Instead, it uses the keyboard up, down, left, and right keys to move, and the "E" key (or "Epic" key as I call it  ;) ) to interact with objects. There is no Talk, Touch, Look at, etc., just a global "Interact" key. This is all set-up at this point but other ideas are welcome.
--A "World>Level" concept. What I mean by that is something similar to the latest Mario Games, where in between worlds you have a "map"-type thing to walk around to other worlds. This essentially just an area to recharge and move to other levels when necessary.
--The ability to change characters, ex: change from Sonic to Mario, or Mario to... Master Chief. Characters could be unlockable, and you may only be able to do certain things with certain characters.

Tell me what you think guys. I've been fooling around with this for awhile now, I just don't know where to start at this point. Any feedback, good or bad, is greatly appreciated.

Phemar

Quote from: Sickened on Thu 30/06/2011 05:34:18
--The game is NOT a point-and-click game, and actually doesn't use the mouse at all. Instead, it uses the keyboard up, down, left, and right keys to move, and the "E" key (or "Epic" key as I call it  ;) ) to interact with objects. There is no Talk, Touch, Look at, etc., just a global "Interact" key. This is all set-up at this point but other ideas are welcome.

If you're going to use the E key for interaction I'd suggest rather using WASD for movement, then the game could be played using only one hand.

Anian

I think I've seen Epic movie or parts of it and generally does kind of movies are, in my opinion, are really cheap in humor and usually there's like one good joke in the whole movie. Also I think this is more work than you are aware of and you should really work on what the actual story/plot of the game is and not just a few pointers about gameplay mechanics.

Quote from: Phemar on Thu 30/06/2011 10:55:12
If you're going to use the E key for interaction I'd suggest rather using WASD for movement, then the game could be played using only one hand.
Well I guess that's useful if your making a hentai or a drinking game or something.  :P
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Eggie

I think you need a better title, Epic Movie was an uncreative title with uncreative content to match.

I remember when spoof movies used to have clever titles; Naked Gun, Blazing Saddles etc. They're silly ANd they evoke the genre they're parodying and there's LOTS of things about video game titling conventions you can make fun of.

For instance:

Use of more than one colon
Overused words such as Redemption, Reckoning, Reloaded and Resurrection
Previously mundane phrases that someone realised could look cool on a cover

So just with those out of my butt ideas, my proposal would beeee

Over Easy: The Redemption: The Reckoning: The Resurrection: The Radish: Reloaded: The Reckong: On Shores Of Bullets

Sickened

Thanks for the input so far guys.

Using one hand in the sense you mentioned feels kind of awkward for me anyway, because then I feel like I should be using my other hand for something.. whatever that may be XD And the more I think about it, I might incorporate other controls like the spacebar for an "attack" button or something, because I've been trying to whip up some kind of fighting system and using just "E" wasn't really working so we'll see.

As far as the title goes, I can see what you mean, even if the game DOES turn out to be as epic as the title suggests  ;) I think it will be easier to finalize that sort of thing when the idea is complete, or even when the game is complete, but I will definitely keep that in mind.

And for the plot, I've been thinking about that and I agree with you that without a plot there's just not much to the game. So my proposal so far is: Like I mentioned before, there's the "World>Level" concept, as long as you guys understand that concept, and there's an antagonist of some sort, for this case I'll just say Bowser. The "levels" are different games, ex: one level would be Mario, another level would be Sonic, etc., and in every level Bowser has corrupted the game in some way, like bringing something in from another game that shouldn't be there, or something along those lines. So essentially your job is to bring the games back to the state they were originally, and then at the end of the game when everything is "happily ever after" you can then just play through the levels normally for fun or something.

KodiakBehr

It appears "epic" is the new "cool".

Eggie

Wooow, off-topic but that page really rubbed me the wrong way: the 'epic' slang is clearly deliberately ironic. JEEEEZE, guys.

Snake

QuoteUsing one hand in the sense you mentioned feels kind of awkward for me anyway, because then I feel like I should be using my other hand for something..
I can think of something, but that would require a rewrite.
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Turtiathan

Quote from: TomatosInTheHead on Thu 11/08/2011 16:32:03
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=epic

agreed
When I see the word "Epic," I think of the following things:
1. a large-scale battlefield
2. heroism and self-sacrifice
3. the vastness of space

The sci-fi story, Warhammer 40K, and the heavy metal band, Iced Earth, come to mind.

Like a lot of people have said, a lot of comedy movies today use cheap humor. It seems that saying the name of a sexual organ is enough to get people to laugh these days. Eggie's post offered some good suggestions.

However, I will have to see some plot to be able to offer any input on your idea.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk