Voice Acting Competition- A new beginning. Voting ends May 24th.

Started by Sane Co., Wed 09/05/2012 16:18:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Sane Co.

Welcome, this is the Voice Acting Competition. It was originally stopped in 2006, but is being started back up again. The rules are:
The competition lasts a week and includes a new host, the winner of the previous competition, who comes up with lines, a set theme, or both, for a voice actor to perform. An example would be: "Fetch me eggs, wine, beer and a magazine for the market. If you don't, I will cuddle you until you die!"(note that there would be longer lines) said by an an evil villian with a lisp. The voice actor would then record these lines and post them on the forum with a working link. The winner is determined by majority vote. Voting commences the day after the deadline. The first second and third places recieve tophies (and bragging rights).
The competition is for educational and entertaining purposes. People practice working as a voice actor, and have fun in the process.

This competition's theme this time is A new beginning: an explorer discovers something new. You will make up a line, it doesn't matter how long, but try to keep it as long as a regular game line might be, for the Explorer to say.
Examples of lines:
Gadzooks, we've found the secret elephant playground.
Look, it's the ancient Aztec ruins of Bathuel that were covered over when they made that new Supermarket.
Ect.
Trophies will be provided.
Get you exploring hat on and Go!
EDIT: Please, when voting, don't judge on microphone quality.

LTGiants2000

Hi, I am new here but I would like to submit my entry for this competition. Please find the link below. The scope seemed really broad so I hope I met the requirements, if not please let me know and I will resubmit.

It's a little play on characters from a classic adventure game you all know and love (I hope that's not against the rules).

Thanks so much!

Link:
http://archive.org/download/murray1/murray.mp3

Sane Co.

I like it, it actually sounds like I think they should sound.

LTGiants2000

Thanks! I tried to make it similar to Dominic Armato (he does the voice for Guybrush in MI) and Murray. Came out pretty close IMO

WHAM

I might have a chance to record some audio tomorrow, so perhaps I'll participate! Sounds like fun!  :-D
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

None

:-D http://charlescreations.com/seanattempt.wav

I tried to say something I thought he'd say, if this doesn't qualify just let me know and I'll change lines.

CaptainD

Quote from: LTGiants2000 on Wed 09/05/2012 23:04:31
It's a little play on characters from a classic adventure game you all know and love (I hope that's not against the rules).

You absolutely nailed Guybrush's voice Rob, fantastic work!

CaptainD

Quote from: charlescreations on Mon 14/05/2012 09:24:39

I thoguht you grew into the voice, didn't sound much like him at the start (to me) but towards the end you got the accent and inflections spot on.  (Pretty sure it would be better than my Connery anyway!  :-D (roll))

LTGiants2000

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 16/05/2012 21:54:59

You absolutely nailed Guybrush's voice Rob, fantastic work!

Thanks Dave!!

I just listened to yours BTW....funny shit LOL I couldn't make out every word but I know I heard "Mediocre, Mansion of Mental, Menial, Mindless, Mutated Midget Moles!" hahaaa good stuff

CaptainD

I couldn't make out every word but I know I heard "Mediocre, Mansion of Mental, Menial, Mindless, Mutated Midget Moles!" hahaaa good stuff

If I'd done more of a Brian Blessed impersonation my Guitar Hero microphone definitely couldn't have handled it...  >:(  At first I was going to use "p" for my repeated alliteration, but that just produced tons of feedback hiss.

The text for you and anyone else who's interested:

"Don't dawdle, Flash, we've found the maddeningly mediocre mighty mansion of Ming the Merciless and his merry mental menial mindlessly masochistic mutated midget moles!"

I must admit that I nearly lost the flow at "merry mental"...  (laugh)

LTGiants2000

Sane Co.

Baron

I finally found a quiet moment to throw something together: VOILA!

Sane Co.

Sane Co.

LTGiants2000

Looks like we only had 4 entries :(  Oh well, if I'm allowed to vote (and I am assuming I'm not allowed to vote for myself) I will vote for Baron and his "Ghost of Phil Hartman" line...funny stuff!

Bulbapuck

My vote goes to LTGiants because it felt real. Very good job!

I quite like this competition by the way, a good idea :)

Baron

These things take a while to build up steam.  I suggest everyone vote for 1st, 2nd & 3rd and we give points accordingly (3 points for first place vote, 2 points for second and one for third).  Otherwise we'll have a hard time differentiating the ranks with so few votes.  My votes:

LTGiants2000 for first:  The range of voice work was brilliant.  Without knowing in advance that it was a one man recording, I'd never guess that both characters were voiced by the same guy.  The "gimme some of that rootbeer" bit was hillariously unexpected, given that it was zombie rootbeer that they had found.

CaptainD for second: Amusing writing and entertaining accent.  If only the words were more intelligible at the very beginning I'd say this would have a shot at first.

charlescreations for third: I'm sure it's supposed to be Sean Connery as Dr. Jones Sr., but to me he sounds like he's picked up a hint of an Indian accent, which somewhat spoils the effect for me (I don't mean to be hurtful if charlescreations actually is from India: I just mean he's got to work on his Scottish impressions).  Nevertheless, a valiant attempt.

I think it's bad form to vote for yourself as well, but we need as many votes as possible so I implore the other entrants to speak up.

LTGiants2000

Quote from: Baron on Tue 22/05/2012 01:44:16
These things take a while to build up steam.  I suggest everyone vote for 1st, 2nd & 3rd and we give points accordingly (3 points for first place vote, 2 points for second and one for third).  Otherwise we'll have a hard time differentiating the ranks with so few votes.  My votes:

LTGiants2000 for first:  The range of voice work was brilliant.  Without knowing in advance that it was a one man recording, I'd never guess that both characters were voiced by the same guy.  The "gimme some of that rootbeer" bit was hillariously unexpected, given that it was zombie rootbeer that they had found.

CaptainD for second: Amusing writing and entertaining accent.  If only the words were more intelligible at the very beginning I'd say this would have a shot at first.

charlescreations for third: I'm sure it's supposed to be Sean Connery as Dr. Jones Sr., but to me he sounds like he's picked up a hint of an Indian accent, which somewhat spoils the effect for me (I don't mean to be hurtful if charlescreations actually is from India: I just mean he's got to work on his Scottish impressions).  Nevertheless, a valiant attempt.

I think it's bad form to vote for yourself as well, but we need as many votes as possible so I implore the other entrants to speak up.

I think that's a good idea Baron but I guess I'll leave it up to the OP or Mods. If we are doing the points system, I vote:

1st. Baron
2nd. CaptainD
3rd. charlescreations

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk