exquisite corpse painting

Started by selmiak, Fri 11/05/2012 21:59:23

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

As suggested by Eric as a reply to my idea for an activity thread here we are with the exquisite corpse painting thread.

If you have no idea what this exquisite thread title should tell you, read it up on wikipedia.
After you know this you should also know that, to transform this into an activity, some modifications and rules are set to keep it interesting (and a bit sane).
The basic idea is that everyone paints a piece of a huge scrollable image without exactly knowing what is in the part before to get some very interesting results.

The rules:

1)  You only get to see 5-10 pixels (depending on how much the previous painter decided you need to see) of the previous image and continue painting from there on.
2)  image width is 200 pixel, image height is also ~200 pixel
3)  from the startimage we continue both up and down to give more people the chance to take part
4)  you post in this thread when you want to paint a patch of the whole image and state if you want to go up or down. If both directions are claimed you have to wait until someone posts his result (parts of)
5)  feel free, have fun and paint your part
5a) Have some unfinished shapes, forms and/or things at the border where the whole image continues.
6)  Once you are done post only 5-10 pixels of your finished image to give the next person some pointers of where to continue without showing it all (of course the pixels have to be of the end of your image where someone else should continue)
7)  once the next image fitting to your image is done you edit your post to show your finished image or just post it in the thread
8)  all images will be put together in the next post after this

These rules might change as the thread progresses...

to avoid confusion I removed my startimage parts

Let's see if this works out :D

selmiak

^^^^ free to claim ^^^^

vvvv free to claim vvvv

Gilbert

Was this approved? You need an approval from mods to start a new activity here.

I would let this pass for now though. This sounds like it could work and we don't have many activities atm anyway. Let's see how far this will go.

Next time, please wait for a mod to reply to your suggestion first.

Eric

To which end has Selmiak laid claim?

TomatoesInTheHead

Quote from: Eric on Sat 12/05/2012 07:58:27
To which end has Selmiak laid claim?
Both ends can still be claimed, his placeholder post is only to contain the whole image later:
Quote8)  all images will be put together in the next post after this

And I like the idea, thanks Iceboty for the post-approval ;-D

selmiak

@iceboty&mods:
ooops, didn't know that. It could be that I have a rather anarchistic let's do it right now before it gets cold approach to anything anyways, but yeah, sorry if I stepped on someones toes with creating the thread without approval. It's just meant to be a fun activity and not a branch of the AGS engine or something like that ;)
if it's not well received it will just take care of itself and vanish to page two and never be seen again anyways...

@potential participants:
I already drew my part and didn't claim anything. Feel free to claim any direction (as long as the thread isn't locked;)). I will post the startimage after both directions are covered of course. from there on it's only one patch to wait for before posting the complete image.

Eric

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 12/05/2012 13:59:16I already drew my part and didn't claim anything.

I stupidly didn't notice you were also the thread starter! I hereby claim UP.

(Just to clarify, is the 10px you shared part of my 200px? So that together, our two images are 380px? Or should I be working on a canvas of 210px that includes your shared piece?)

selmiak

Quote from: Eric on Sat 12/05/2012 21:17:01
I stupidly didn't notice you were also the thread starter! I hereby claim UP.
somebody has top do it :D

well, I somehow knew that this question would come up, so I intentionally wrote ~200px height, so you can go shorter or longer, no problem, just something around 200px. The width should be fixed at 200px though, otherwise we'll be in trouble. The pixels of the previous image don't count towards your patch and please don't post them with your complete image or they will be there twice. This could lead to an interesting effect but I actually doubt it would look good, except if you constantly reuse the pixels given by the previous image... which could make an interesting background... hmmm, now I want to paint another patch :D

BillyCoen

Hey i have gone DOWN hope it isnt changed too dramatically... or is that the point?

Do i just keep hold of full picture until it is requested?
http://www.marapets.com/refer.php?id=BloodpakDave

Marapets is The Bestest Thing in THE WhOlE WidE WoRld!!! ^^

selmiak

yep, just wait until the next person claimed the next down image and delivered the few pixels to continue.
And to get things rolling I claim down now :D

selmiak

so, we're one step deeper down.

vvvv continue down here vvvv

@BillyCoen: You can now show your pic if you want, but I won't post the startimage until Eric posted that he finished the first step up and has something to continue from ;)

Eric

selmiak

cool  :cheesy:
I already updated the second post with my startimage...

now I'm quite interested what BillyCoen painted and how it will continue :D

BillyCoen

Gonna be interesting to see where this goes  :smiley:

Eric

Someone go up so I can share the giant chunk of this that I have just put together!

Bulbapuck

Quote from: Eric on Wed 16/05/2012 17:15:59
Someone go up so I can share the giant chunk of this that I have just put together!

Sure! I'll claim UP!

EDIT: Done! Here's 7 pixels for someone :)

^^^^^Continues up^^^^^^

EDIT2: And here's the whole image:

Eric

Thanks, Bulbapuck! Here's a new visible chunk!

selmiak

okay, I claim up.

And to be not left with sitting on both ends someone could claim down ;)

BillyCoen

I will claim down again... just cos i cant wait to see selmiaks down ;)

Edit: Further down we go.

Wow Ralph is awesome and some how makes it all make sense lol

TomatoesInTheHead

I'll go down then :)

Edit: Done!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk