Covling

Started by Revae, Mon 29/10/2012 03:42:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Revae

Hello folk!

I've been working on this off-and-on for a while now, and I figured I'd announce it in some capacity.  I'm not going to go into detail about the story as it's kinda all over the place.  You play an alcoholic Covling named Cecil.  Covlings are fantasy muppet-like creatures who come from an area of the world called the cove.  The cove is an area of the world where physics have partially broken down and magical artifacts are dug up for study by mages.

Then some stuff goes down, and you set off on an adventure.

Spent a lot of time developing an art style that was quick enough to produce, and a lot more time learning scripting (I'm still terrible at it).  If that doesn't get your hopes unnaturally high for this game, then I dunno what will!  Maybe screenshots...

^ This is the cove
^ This is a bar (Charlies Chugery)
^ This is a house
It looks even better in motion.
Edit:  Here, have some concept art I did for it.

One of the things I'm trying to accomplish with this game is keep the characters grounded in the environment.  In many point and clicks the characters seem to float/standout from the background.  Not that that makes them bad games, but it's always been a pet peeve of mine (It's not easy to do it turns out  :P)

Another thing I want to do is to keep the scenery changing, without too much backtracking (naturally there will be a little), so it feels like a real adventure.  Like you're traversing a large world of many cultures and races.  Not looking for key to get a book to find a note to get a code to open a safe to get an extendable stick to reach a hat... or... whatever.  Puzzles will be kept logical for the most part, and hopefully will all have at least 2 solutions (some of which depend on solutions to earlier puzzles).

That's the goal anyway.  So far I have the first puzzle done, and some of the gui script.  There isn't a set date for completion, it'll be done whenever it feels done.

Anyway.  Let me know what you guys think!  Also thanks to everyone on the help forums for being cool.

Gilbert

Looks very cute! There is some feeling like games such as Samorost IMO, which is not a bad thing, and the last shot reminds me of storybookish illustrations such as Paddington Bear.

Really looking forward to this.

Crimson Wizard

Looks like a game I would certainly love to play. Very kind looking fantasy world and characters.

Slasher

QuoteSpent a lot of time developing an art style that was quick enough to produce
If these are originally yours then I have to say they are so cool..........

(nod)

CaptainD

Absolutely love those screens!  :-D

Revae

Thanks all!  While it may look cartoony the story and characters aren't so kid-friendly.  It's not like southpark levels of vulgarity or anything, but like I said Cecil is an alcoholic and there's some language and what-not.  Mostly what-not.

Quote from: slasher on Mon 29/10/2012 08:22:06
If these are originally yours then I have to say they are so cool..........
Yep.  They're all mine.  Characters are 3D, and the background are sketches overlayed on photoshop paintings.

Anian

3d? Wow, what kind of shader are you using finalToon, Illustrate or did you make it?
I don't want the world, I just want your half

StillInThe90s

Looks absolutely adorable. Very interesting composition in the first scene.

Slasher

QuoteYep.  They're all mine.  Characters are 3D, and the background are sketches overlayed on photoshop paintings.

I see. Anyhow, good. I hope to play your game soon.

8-)

SeamanNaranja

The art style is so beautiful, but the thing that really gets me is the perspectives used. They're magnificent! Excited about this.
Developer of Hjarta, Providence and Skumring.

Revae

Quote from: Anian on Mon 29/10/2012 10:07:58
3d? Wow, what kind of shader are you using finalToon, Illustrate or did you make it?

Out of Maya it's just a ramp shader and a toonshape paint effect.  The rest is painted on the texture.

^Here's his walk cycle
edit:  Now you can see his walk cycle.  Messed up image path. :-p

Andail

Beautiful graphics indeed, well done!
The plot sounds imaginative and quirky too

Tabata

I like the graphics and the characters you created.
The story sounds interesting and the gameplay sounds like it is something for my mother's daughter :grin:

Just can say

Good luck with your project :smiley:

ThreeOhFour

Looks beautiful! Lovely stuff.

KodiakBehr

I'm blown away -- you've started down the path of something wonderful here.  I get a real Rice Boy vibe from it.  I'll be sharing this post as an example of how alive and well the adventure game genre is.

Revae

Quote from: KodiakBehr on Wed 31/10/2012 00:59:28
I'm blown away -- you've started down the path of something wonderful here.  I get a real Rice Boy vibe from it.  I'll be sharing this post as an example of how alive and well the adventure game genre is.

Wow.  Thanks!

I'd never heard of Rice Boy.  Similarly with Samorost (though I loved Machinarium).  Beat the first Samorost last night and checking out Rice Boy now.  I really dig the art in it, and the crazy little creatures.

I really appreciate the kind words all.  Makes me warm and fuzzy inside.  Could be something medical though.

ThreeOhFour

Rice Boy is wonderful.

straydogstrut

Wow, this looks absolutely gorgeous. I love all the attention to detail and I wouldn't have guessed the characters were 3D. It has a very warm, whimsical feel to it. Really looking forward to this one :)

Paul Franzen

Ooooo! Very nice! Almost looks like claymation to me; can't wait to see more!
The Beard in the Mirror (formerly testgame) - Out now on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/385840
Other games I've worked on: http://paulmfranzen.com/games/

Ilyich

This is indeed looking extremely lovely and charming! I'm getting a nice Fraggle Rock/Dark Crystal vibe from it, which is awesome. :) Looking forward to seeing more!

I would also like to second that Rice Boy is wonderful, as are Order of Tales and Vattu. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk