MAGS May: "Underwater" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Wed 01/05/2013 18:49:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Underwater'

This month's guidelines were set by DoorKnobHandle:

This month's theme is 'underwater' - but a game with just an underwater setting is too basic. Instead, the theme needs to be weaved into the actual game mechanics somehow. So a point'n'click that just so happens to be underwater (but could really have any other setting in the world) is NOT okay. A game where your air supply is limited (maybe just in certain areas), or where you have additional verbs that have to do with being underwater, is awesome. The player character could be a diver, a shark or just on-board a submarine, everything goes as long as the underwater element is not purely a visual element but something rooted into the puzzles/gameplay.

Ending 31st May

__________________________________________________________________________________________

This month's winner was Bioluminescence by Jaffles.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link.
âÅ"“ The title of your game.
âÅ"“ A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts fifteen days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalised in the MAGS Archive. Yet hopefully, at the end of the month, the accomplishment of finishing a game will be your greatest prize. For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

DoorKnobHandle

I so hope I picked a good theme. Now go forth, my minions, and make cool and stunning underwater games!! GO! :)

Ghost

Sweet theme; now I can't get that outta my head... "Finding Nemo, the adventure game". Verbs: Speek Whale-a-nese, Choke Dory, and Make Baaad Jokes.  (laugh)

Jaffles

It is on like!

Or maybe more like?

Please note my game will not actually involve Donkey Kong.

selmiak

would it count if one was to stream the whole process of making the game while sitting in the bathtub?

ZapZap

I always wonder, when you say completely new, does that exclude being inspired by films/books/tv series/comics for the concept? I mean when the rules of one month are explicit about it being OK/part-of-the-topic I get it, but if not, I don't really know. I don't even remember any MAGS game doing that
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

Ghost

"Completely new" refers to material mostly- as long as the monthly rules do not say otherwise a MAGS can't have material you already made, because otherwise it would really give you some advantage (like having a full set of characters with walkcycles already prepared, or even entering a game that's already been in the makings for, say, a very long time). There's nothing wrong with using existing ideas or getting inspiration by some external source- your plot/story etc doesn't need to be completely new (and in fact it CAN never be new, since everything has been done already).

Ryan Timothy B

Now someone has a perfect reason to use Steve's cool underwater module!
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=38592

(To give anyone some ideas - I'll post his video example below)
[embed=420,315]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EP1iFfDPXvY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

ZapZap

Cool! thanks Ghost, I was just referring to ideas for the concept. I may be in then
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

Radiant

[embed=420,315]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jgA2xo0HYrE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

Arcangel

Yay , long time, I can"t pass here.
Underwater, Ummmmm!. Sound interesting. I try to do a game.

I ask my son 4 help with his great imagination. LOL

Day 2..............

WHAM

Goddammit! If only I had enough time I could do LaSol 2! :D
Maybe I'll still try... Maybe...
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Ghost

Quote from: WHAM on Thu 02/05/2013 19:41:35

*Ghost uses Hypnotize*

You will, WHAM, you will... you WILL!

*It's super effective!*

Arcangel

:cry: Day 4.

Only game flowchart, Main Menu.....

Need lots objects, rooms, music,,,   :-\ Im old for this LOL

Baron

I volunteer to reprise my voice-role as Helicopter Pilot 1 if this happens.  I've got the electric fan ready and everything.

WHAM

Quote from: Baron on Sun 05/05/2013 03:55:16

I volunteer to reprise my voice-role as Helicopter Pilot 1 if this happens.  I've got the electric fan ready and everything.

I might just hold you up to that. ;) I think I'll start a GiP thread early (if it's allowed) and make this an open-source project, with all source files and design docs available to anyone at all times.
More on this idea tomorrow.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

WHAM

Doublepost, but hopefully worth it!

I'm starting developement of my MAGS game, and it's all here, all visible.

Design doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17XlH8iNaeXf9Sy9JQQyV4TMy4X7_7tSAsH6oiYHPhZo/edit?usp=sharing

Source files: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65381625/LaSol_2_070513.rar

I will be updating the link above, which will lead to a .zip archive of all files and folders used in the development of the game. I will try to update the link every other day, starting from when I start working properly on the game.

Needless to say, that if you want to really enjoy the game, you might not want to study the links provided here too closely, as these are my actual design docs and files, and will contain spoilers and such without warning.

Let's get this MAGS started!

DoorKnobHandle

That's a really cool idea, WHAM! Has anybody else decided to try and give WHAM some good competition?

bush_monkey

Damn! The theme really appeals to me but I have family over from France for 2 weeks. I can't see them appreciating me spending the whole time they're here on my laptop  :-D

WHAM

Okay, I reviewed my calendar for the upcoming weeks and took a long hard look at my "ongoing projects" -folder. Then I got depressed.
I'm bailing out of the MAGS, despite my "flying start", as I don't think I can really put enough effort into this competition.

Sorry people :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk