Game Developer? Why?

Started by Babar, Thu 09/05/2013 04:01:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Babar

Assuming you're here developing games (although I suppose a sizable portion of you all are simply here to play games), I was wondering why.
I was wondering why about myself too....not sure I could pin it down. Why do you develop games? Why do you start out developing a game? What pulls you through it to the end of the game? What brings you back to develop another?

Is it the enjoyment of the adulation of fans ;D? The money being showered on you? Do you have some inner mission driving you to tell some specific story? Do you simply invent challenges for yourself and enjoy puzzle solving? Do you have some inner mission involving advancing video gaming as a medium? I've heard people say they enjoy making games they'd like to play. Is it about enjoying exercising your creativity? Why choose video games for that? Perhaps it is a quirk of the sort of adventure games we make here, but while I certainly try my best to make games I wouldn't hate, aside from bug testing or checking something, I have to admit, I don't much care to play through my own games.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Armageddon

ThreeOhFour

Babar, my sweetie, you overthink everything. :P

Designing games is fulfilling for many reasons - a sense of achievement, a method by which to learn new skills, the ability to tell a story. Sometimes you even get to make money on top of all that.

The reason for developing games is because it's enjoyable. The reason for the specific medium is because we're a fan of that medium. What more reason do you need?

CaptainD

I think for most of us it started with playing adventure games and getting to the point where we think - "I'd like to make something like this!".

Technocrat

It's because I have plots in my head, and I need to get them out *somehow*, but I don't quite have the capital to finance a major motion-picture.

miguel

Because game developers are cool at the moment.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Ghost

I just keep making games because I am addicted to the clack-clack sound of my keyboard.  ;-D

No. Worldbuilding, storytelling, the ability to take a story, out of my head, and make it real for other people to play. I rarely try to wow people with super-cool and extraordinary puzzles, I want to tell small tales.
It's also nice to watch download counters counting up, I guess. That means that people are LIKING what you made for them.

Andail

I'm only in it for the chicks.

Edit:
Misspelled chicks. I had seven words to keep track of and I failed :(

Darth Mandarb

For me it's that "something from nothing" feeling.  You have an idea for something (story, movie, game, website, etc) and you, from nothing, create something. 

It's an amazing feeling of satisfaction watching it grow and evolve as you develop it.

Personally I don't care how many people download it.  If only 1 person plays/reads/views it I just hope that 1 person enjoys and appreciates it.

Oh, and for the chicks (nod)

Lt. Smash

Money, money, money  :-D

No I'm not developing just because of the money. Developing is my passion. It gives me a wonderful feeling to create something new that the world hasn't seen yet.
I totally have to agree Darth. It's great to be able to fabricate something from out of absolutely nothing and then duplicate it for the world without any cost.

Oh and for the chicks, of course  ;-D

Radiant

Because we are the movers and shakers of the world, forever, it seems.

selmiak

GFX, CODE & POINT 'N CLICK!

Chicky

To finally feel what it is like to have released one of these fabled 'point and clickers' :-D

Grundislav

Baron

It's a cheap hobby, and I like the challenge of actualizing a vision.  But mostly I'm in the scene for the WILD PARTIES!!!!!!  := := :=

Armageddon

Quote from: Grundislav on Fri 10/05/2013 01:24:32
Because.
Taking my words and saying them more eloquently. :=

SinSin

I'm with Chicky, Baron and Darth here, but yet I have never finished one ... because I destroy myself and say everything I do is poo ... I am my own downfall...and apparently a regular Mr Buzzkill  lol
Currently working on a project!

LimpingFish

I don't know why. It just seemed like something to do.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

InCreator

Urge.
No other way to explain this.
Urge.

AnasAbdin

If one single person spent time and enjoyed a game I made then I'm fulfilled! I like making people happy!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk