Adventure Creator - a 3D engine for Unity

Started by IceMan, Thu 10/10/2013 11:38:19

Previous topic - Next topic

IceMan

Wow, it's been too long since I was last here.  Since Da New Guys 2 last year, I've been looking to make a 3D adventure, though toolkit options were kind of limited.  So, I made one myself!

It's a plugin for Unity3D, and kind of a "Telltale tool", or at least similar to what I imagine it to be like.  There's a demo game you can play online for kicks.

Main website
Demo game
Video

Features:

• Make a complete adventure game with no code
  • Point and click, direct and first-person controls
  • Clean, intuitive interface made for designers
  • Event system for cutscenes and interactions
  • Character animation and conversations
  • Timed sequences and arrow prompts
  • Inventory items and global variables
  • Controller support for all play styles
  • Full saving and loading system
  • Example project to learn from
  • Customisable in-game GUI
  • Extensive documentation
  • In-game options menu
  • Built-in pathfinding
  • Translation support

My past experience in AGS really helped with the design, and has a few features like auto-speech line numbering that AGSers will recognise.  Regrettably it's not free, since it was a full-time gig to write it, but I hope it's of use to people looking to make a 3D adventure.  Windows, Mac, Linux supported, and mobile support soon.

Thanks for reading!

TheBitPriest

8-0   Wow...  The demo is amazing!  Good job!

Ali

The trailer looks fantastic!

My only criticism is that Normality is not the best example of a first person adventure game!

Stupot

Looks awesome, man. I hope to see some games being made with it, soon.

Gilbert

Seems great, but the name makes me feel odd, as AGS used to be called Adventure Creator in the past. Its name was changed to Adventure Game Studio only since V2.00 .

Anian

I don't want the world, I just want your half

IceMan

Thanks for the warm response, guys!

Quote from: Ali on Thu 10/10/2013 12:36:15My only criticism is that Normality is not the best example of a first person adventure game!

Hah, I guess not, but it was the one I used to play as a kid (nostalgia..)

Quote from: Iceboty V7000a on Thu 10/10/2013 16:11:45Seems great, but the name makes me feel odd, as AGS used to be called Adventure Creator in the past. Its name was changed to Adventure Game Studio only since V2.00 .

I hadn't thought of that.  Actually the name I chose was based on what domains were available when I was registering for one!

Igor Hardy

Greg Squire

AJA

Wow, this looks really promising. I'll have to check it out properly at some point. :)

IceMan

Just sent an update off to the store - full iOS and Android support are soon coming.  I'm hoping to extend functionality to support 2D games as well, I'll keep you guys posted.

m0ds

Nice! Be good to see who can establish themselves as a competent user of it (and then hire them ;)). I for one don't understand how to animate characters in Unity, so gave up using it. Perhaps you could demonstrate this engine at AdvX in a couple of months?

Why the gnarly American woman voice over? LOL. I can see this being very useful for people who know their way around Unity but it's still going to be a struggle for people who aren't used to Unity or 3D game design (people like me, much as I'd love to buy it and give it a whirl), cos you still have to know how to create & animate characters, build 3D props etc. And if you don't you need to be prepared to spend hundreds if not thousands on assets or people to make/work on them for you. Hope people use it tho Chris, it certainly looks like fun :)

qptain Nemo

Hooray for another adventure game engine effort!

dactylopus

Glad to see more of this type of thing.  Unfortunately, $70 is quite a chunk of cash, considering I'd also have to shell out for the full version of Unity.

Good luck with the project, though.  It looks pretty cool.

Armageddon

Azure

I was really impressed with the demo, works really nicely and the option to export to Unity's webformat is great. Have you considered coming to AdventureX and showing this off so people could get a hands on? I think the one drawback with Unity is the fact there's no way to try this out without buying it...
www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

IceMan

Quote from: dactylopus on Sat 12/10/2013 05:28:56Glad to see more of this type of thing.  Unfortunately, $70 is quite a chunk of cash, considering I'd also have to shell out for the full version of Unity.

It's totally compatible (and developed) with Unity Free, no need to go for Unity Pro unless you need pro features.

Quote from: Azure on Sat 12/10/2013 09:26:20Perhaps you could demonstrate this engine at AdvX in a couple of months?

Quote from: Azure on Sat 12/10/2013 09:26:20Have you considered coming to AdventureX and showing this off so people could get a hands on?

Sounds good!  I'll look into the other post and see if I can- OH MY GOD CHARLES CECIL!

Quote from: Azure on Sat 12/10/2013 09:26:20
you still have to know how to create & animate characters, build 3D props etc

That is true, at least until 2D support comes along.  I plan to work my way down by half Ds - 2.5 and then 2

Ali

I'd also love to see this at AdventureX!

Sslaxx

Tried talking to TwoGuys LLC? I know they're looking for a Unity coder for their SpaceVenture project.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk