An "old school" roguelike made in AGS

Started by ArgyBoi, Tue 29/04/2014 01:11:22

Previous topic - Next topic

ArgyBoi

Hey guys, I've been experimenting with AGS lately... And after reading some old threads in this forum, I noticed that nobody has released a "classic" roguelike made with AGS yet...
NOTE! Those threads are very old!
AGS Crawl by ShiverMeSideways
Ghost's tiles for an HereticRL?

So, I thought, why not?
I just coded the basic features (level generation, input, movement, creatures entities), but hey, I'm proud of my crappy procedural level generator :-D You can check it out here:

DevLog #1:
[embed=700,450]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20d-l-NFITg[/embed]

DevLog #2:
[embed=700,450]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoSTjzKYA68[/embed]

DevLog #3:
[embed=700,450]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UbJEyNxRk4[/embed]

What do you think?

EDIT: OK, that's it for prototyping... If I finally decide to make a game out of this, I'll create a proper "in production" thread...

bicilotti

Quite avid Nethack player here, love your generatelevel function, it does really create "realistic" caves, I would play it!

Problem

Very nice! The levels look quite natural already. I love roguelikes, so I'd definitely play one made with AGS.

ArgyBoi

Quote from: bicilotti on Tue 29/04/2014 03:32:39
Quite avid Nethack player here, love your generatelevel function, it does really create "realistic" caves, I would play it!

Indeed, I created a "debug console" (the grey box in the video), for calling procedural generation functions. The generatelevel generates a level with a basic algorithm, adding "room features" (just random square rooms and corridors right now, but I coded it to be easily extensible) randomly and connecting them.
:-D

Ghost

selmiak

Not to stop your momentum but it really has been done before, Shivemesideways made Zombie Attack for a Bake Sale. So this looks cool, keep it up.

ArgyBoi

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 29/04/2014 15:55:08
Not to stop your momentum but it really has been done before, Shivemesideways made Zombie Attack for a Bake Sale. So this looks cool, keep it up.

OK I'm cancelling this...
Just kidding :grin:
I've checked out Zombie Attack, but I don't think it can be considered a roguelike (at least IMHO, and the RogueBasin definition).

abstauber

Very exciting news to see some more non-adventure games. In case you want to get rid of the ascii-art, here's an awesome (free) texture pack:
http://opengameart.org/content/dawnlike-16x16-universal-rogue-like-tileset-v17

Ghost

Quote from: JuaniT on Tue 29/04/2014 16:18:29
I've checked out Zombie Attack, but I don't think it can be considered a roguelike

Depends on the strictness- it surely has the same elements that make people consider games like BoI a roguelike. But yes, an actual turnbased, ASCII roguelike has not been done. So go for it!

Quote from: abstauber on Wed 30/04/2014 10:29:33
In case you want to get rid of the ascii-art,
But... but ASCII is the POINT!!! (laugh)

ArgyBoi

Quote from: Ghost on Wed 30/04/2014 11:24:12
Depends on the strictness- it surely has the same elements that make people consider games like BoI a roguelike. But yes, an actual turnbased, ASCII roguelike has not been done. So go for it!

Exactly. That's why I used the term "old school roguelike". I don't consider games like BoI to be roguelikes (it seems to me the same as considering Diablo an RPG because of the leveling). For me, the "baseline" to be considered a roguelike are the turn-based (after all, this games are based on tactical gameplay, not in action) and randomization.
ASCII graphics are not relevant, some people like it, some people don't; NetHack (maybe the most famous roguelike) has tons of tilesets, even an isomertic version, but this doesn't affect its "roguelikeness" at all.

Quote from: abstauber on Wed 30/04/2014 10:29:33
Very exciting news to see some more non-adventure games. In case you want to get rid of the ascii-art, here's an awesome (free) texture pack:
http://opengameart.org/content/dawnlike-16x16-universal-rogue-like-tileset-v17

In fact, I'm using 8x8 tiles for the monospace font. I've seen some pretty neat 8x8 royalty free tilesets, but for now I'm going to stick with ASCII, and maybe do my own tiles (optional to ASCII) if I finally decide to make a game out of this prototype.

LostTrainDude

Great stuff indeed!

It's something I'm exploring too, lately (and I was really interested in AGS Crawl) even if I'm trying to sort it out on Game Maker Studio, at the moment. I'm still trying to learn how to code a tile-based procedural level generation.

Just out of curiosity (dumb question, anyway): does the map feature actual ASCII characters printed on the screen or are those image files of those characters?. I've experimented too few with AGS to tell if it's actually possible to print out on screen just like that.

EDIT:
Quote from: JuaniT on Wed 30/04/2014 13:57:24
In fact, I'm using 8x8 tiles for the monospace font. I've seen some pretty neat 8x8 royalty free tilesets, but for now I'm going to stick with ASCII, and maybe do my own tiles (optional to ASCII) if I finally decide to make a game out of this prototype.

Ehm... I believe this is the answer :-[
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

ArgyBoi

Quote from: LostTrainDude on Wed 30/04/2014 14:19:07
Great stuff indeed!

It's something I'm exploring too, lately (and I was really interested in AGS Crawl) even if I'm trying to sort it out on Game Maker Studio, at the moment. I'm still trying to learn how to code a tile-based procedural level generation.

Just out of curiosity (dumb question, anyway): does the map feature actual ASCII characters printed on the screen or are those image files of those characters?. I've experimented too few with AGS to tell if it's actually possible to print out on screen just like that.

EDIT:
Quote from: JuaniT on Wed 30/04/2014 13:57:24

Ehm... I believe this is the answer :-[

Yep, I'm using 8x8 sprites. I think it's easier and enables you to mod the tileset without changing the code :grin:
On procedural generation with tiles: it's really straightforward, basically you apply the algorithm to the tile array/matrix that represents your level. There's a lot of usefull information in the Prodecural Content Generation Wiki.

ArgyBoi

Guys, just one more little update... I added some features like Field of View, Map discovering and a basic AI for the foes. Here:

EDIT: video updates in first message.

I'm pretty satisfied with this prototype... Maybe I would create a game out of this... Maybe... (roll)
Let me know what do you think!

CaptainD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk