I am proofreading a TRS file and...

Started by Mandle, Wed 28/05/2014 05:49:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

G'day...

I've found myself in an unfamiliar situation:

I'm quite used to working with TRS files where the work involves providing an alternate version of the existing text but now I want to proofread an entire, quite lengthy game using the TRS file.

I have consulted one of the virtual Gods of AGS games on how I would go about this.

I was informed that AGS has no way of merely replacing the original text with the corrections as AGS will go back to a seperate file for the text if the line below is left blank.

So the alternative approach would be to correct the text within the blank lines where needed, and I was told that an old AGS game exists with an option of "original text" and "proofread" text available to the player, much like you would choose between the English and French version for example.

So...my question is:

Is there a way to completely shut out the original language version so that the "translated" version becomes the default language that the game uses throughout?

Hope this makes some kind of sense (laugh)

Scavenger

I believe Speech Center is what you want - it allows inline editing and mass reading of text strings.

But if you really want to do it the TRS way, then you have to make a check at the start of the game to see if the player is using the translation, and if they aren't (If the GetTranslation returns ""), abort the game telling them to pick a translation.

Billbis

Also, Right click on the "translation" file in the project tree -> Make Default Language.
Quote from: AGS---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio
---------------------------
This command will replace all the text in your game with the translations in this file. This means that your current default language will be lost in the process.

Additionally, all your translations will be updated to contain this translation as the source text.

Are you really sure you want to continue?
Yes   No   

Mandle

Quote from: Scavenger on Wed 28/05/2014 06:50:52
(If the GetTranslation returns ""), abort the game telling them to pick a translation.

Instead of aborting is there a way to switch seamlessly to the "translation" instead?

Billbis

Yes there is. Use Game.ChangeTranslation function (not documented in the wiki, thought. I'll correct that tonight). Much more elegant than aborting the game indeed.
But seriously Mandle, use the Make Default Language method, it is exactly what you where asking for. You might want to backup your game first, but it should work without any trouble. Oh, according to your first post, it doesn't work if you let some lines blank?

Mandle

Quote from: Billbis on Wed 28/05/2014 08:44:29
Use Game.ChangeTranslation function

I think this is exactly the hint we were needing!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk