International Amiga Day

Started by IndieRetroNews, Sat 31/05/2014 01:49:15

Previous topic - Next topic

IndieRetroNews

If this is not allowed then please delete, but just to give you the heads up International Amiga Day is here!!

http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/05/international-amiga-day-day-has-come-to.html
The latest in Kickstarter, Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Ponch

So... many... memories... *sniffle* :cheesy:

Gurok

Noooo! Not Spirit of Excalibur. That game was terrible!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Mandle

Quote from: Gurok on Sat 31/05/2014 03:20:14

ARRRRRGGHHHHH!!! IT WAS!!!

And it cost SO MUCH! And it was so OVER-HYPED on the back cover.

And then whenever you came onscreen in an "encounter" with a few guys on each side the framerate would crawl to snail-speed...

I ended up trying to play it for a few hours, hoping it would get better, but it only got slower and worse. I ended up scratching the disc with a nail until it didn't load and then took it back for a refund to the shop...

The clerk looked at the disc damage suspiciously but I ended up getting store credit and got a decent game instead.

(Waits for the: "AND I WAS THAT CLERK MANDLE!!! Finally caught up with you!!!" comment to come :P)

selmiak

yes, it really was bad. I remember I was working in a gamesstore at the time and one customer brought it back and even scratched the disc to get a refund for it... :P

Gurok

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 31/05/2014 13:46:17
Quote from: Gurok on Sat 31/05/2014 03:20:14

ARRRRRGGHHHHH!!! IT WAS!!!

And it cost SO MUCH! And it was so OVER-HYPED on the back cover.

And then whenever you came onscreen in an "encounter" with a few guys on each side the framerate would crawl to snail-speed...

It was overhyped. I remember there was virtually NO choice in the game or at least the interface didn't make it clear. You could choose where you wanted to go on the map and it would sometimes obey you, but once you started an encounter, it wasn't clear at all what was going on. I think there was an orb you could click on or the cursor was an orb. Clicking didn't seem to make any difference anyway. For me, the battles were just luck and the limited "gameplay" was on the map screen. I remember I was so excited when I got it because all of the accompanying material (maps, manuals) made it sound really interesting. I've only got the manuals now (no box), but if someone had the box, it'd be a really good one for the museum thread. :D
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Mandle

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 31/05/2014 14:17:52
yes, it really was bad. I remember I was working in a gamesstore at the time and one customer brought it back and even scratched the disc to get a refund for it... :P

Oh shit!!! That's real desperation right there!!!

Well, if it's any consolation:

I'll bet that guy lived in a crappy apartment with a semi-insane flat-mate and had to walk on bridges made out of empty pizza boxes just to get anywhere for fear of falling on the contaminated carpet that a cat had shat all over because some girl that we they let live there for free just because it was cool to have an actual female living in the same flat had brought her cat with her. I'll even bet they had an entire room devoted entirely to the boardgame "Dark Future", which was a dumbed-down version of Steve Jackson's "Car Wars", and that the non-rent-paying girl had to live behind a wardrobe pulled 2ft out from the wall in the semi-insane flat-mate's bedroom as the spare room was in a constant-flux of post-apocalyptic configurations of death-match roadmaps, while her cat refused to obey any such territorial restrictions. Meanwhile: Another actual girl probably moved in and lived on the sofa for no apparent reason except that I the guy who scratched the game disc with the nail had met her at a LRP session and he had played a vampire and she had played a vampiress and they had had a lot of time to kill sitting on a rock in the woods in which to practice biting each other on the neck until the adventurers' party finally showed up two hours later to kill two very suspiciously hickey-marked vampires (a dead giveaway if ever there was one), said girl turning out to be an escaped member of a witches' coven which then had the balls (and heavy-duty gas masks apparently) to break into our their flat and plant pig's eyeballs in drinking glasses, pig's blood in toilet tanks, and finally a pig's head on a plate with a pentagram cut into its forehead with the kitchen knives still embedded firmly in its skull as warnings. Being low on cash most of the time, and suspecting that the bond deposit on their flat was already long gone, our heroes ended up making quite a nice pork-face-bits stew and slept with the kitchen knives under their matresses within well-practiced and easy reach until finally moving on to other (and greater?) things...

So...please show mercy in not trying to recoup the store refund on such a pathetic example of humanity...

Whoever he is...

Retro Wolf

Ah the Amiga 500... We didn't need a Nintendo or Sega in our house!! What did Mario and Sonic have on Chaos Engine, Robocod, BASS, and Monkey Island?!

abstauber

There's such a thing? I hope you had a Amiga day then - a day full of guru meditations and broken saves disks that is :P

IndieRetroNews

Quote from: Oldschool_Wolf on Sat 31/05/2014 17:43:36
Ah the Amiga 500... We didn't need a Nintendo or Sega in our house!! What did Mario and Sonic have on Chaos Engine, Robocod, BASS, and Monkey Island?!

A500 when I was a teen, A500 + A1200 now :p

Abstauber, if your Amiga is like that then yeh... Mine is full of nearly 3000 games on a 4GB internal CF card interface ;)
The latest in Kickstarter, Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Retro Wolf

We got a 1200 too, I remember praying to the gods when trying out the demos that came with my Dad's magazines. CDTV was another thing, we had simcity for that.
I think we had an Amiga 600 at one point, but I don't remember using it.

Now days it's emulation, rediscovered memories thanks to your site. I've had it bookmarked for a while now.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

If only my 1200 were unboxed (and I had an adapter to run it on my tv) I would totally hook it up just to see if it's still working.

abstauber

Hey ProgZ,
you'd better unbox it and have its SMD capacitors exchanged. They start leaking after a few years and corrode the mainboard.
The A600 and CD32 have the same problem btw.

Atavismus

I'm big big Amiga fan. It's really a "dream machine".
So many great memories...
My first code lines in Amos hehe
We sometimes still play "Hired Guns" and "The Settlers" on Amiga with an old friend.
I can't have enough good words about Amiga.
The best, that's all !

Daniel Thomas

Amos was really cool, the first "insight" in to creating games for me.

Not to mention all the awesome games! :)
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I'm sure it's far too late, then.  I've had it put away for at least 15 years.

donkeymilk

I have a big pile of Amiga floppys and two old beaten up Amigas +addons.
They've been gathering dust since i lost the only monitor that used to work with them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk