Jake and the Summer Camp

Started by Cassiebsg, Sat 09/08/2014 22:07:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

Guess it's time for me to post this and see if anyone is interested in helping out. ;)

Title: Jake and the Summer Camp (or maybe: Jake's Summer Camp, have not decided yet)

Jake is 12 years old and his father meant that this year he's old enough to go to summer camp! His over protective mother doesn't quite agree, but has decided to go along with the idea. Jake though, he's a bit split with his emotions and somewhat scared of being "alone" for 14 days with perfect strangers...

Screenshots (temporary art)

Help Jake to:

- Resolution of 640x480, 32bit color.
- Survive 14 days of camp.
- Get as many friends as possible.
- Explore and see new locations.
- Solve "treasure hunt" puzzles.
- Have fun!

Some "random" data:

- At least 25 NPCS (including 19 kids)
- Several nature locations
- A Backpack for "unlimited" inventory items
- All "roads" led to one end (hopefully it won't be possible to get "stuck")
- Almost "death" free... ;)

Progress

9/Aug/2014:
Done little scripting. Am using this game to learn AGS language.
Progress is and will be slow, as my free time a day varies from 0 to 2 hours...
Currently there are 5 rooms, about half the NPCs have sprites (just one sprite though, so they slide when moving).
Player characters is still missing the front and back walk cycle, rest is animated. :)
7 inventory items (though only a few have interactions available).

Edit: Added game resolution, that I had forgotten.

Edit 23/Aug/2014:

Made a little video of my first speech animation (I know, graphics still suck, lol).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrRXiU-OVPA
(sorry, don't know how to embed it in the forum, if at all possible).

EDIT 09/Nov/2015:
I've added a few new screen shots, you can see them her: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=50833.msg636524794#msg636524794

Want to help with this project?

I'm mostly only interested in scripting this game, so I would appreciate help with:

- Writing (want to write dialogs and such? :) I'm not a writer!)
- Graphics Backgrounds
- Graphics Sprites/Animations
- Sound FX
- Music
- Voices (Would love to get kids voices for the characters, so if you have a couple home that would love to provide voices for this game, feel free to PM! Target age is 12 to 14/15 - though one can be younger/older as long as it doesn't sound like it. ;) )
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

m0ds

Nice project. I'm confused though, the listed goals & features make it seem like more of a sim than an adventure, does it have a story as such, some developments etc? Three act structure or anything? As you've listed recruitment here, I'm not opposed to sim style adventure games and could lend a hand but a game like that would likely = thousands of lines of dialogue recorded especially if one action leads to multiple reactions from multiple characters etc, because multiple paths are available throughout the game - so I'm skeptical about helping out at this point, whilst the workload seems huge when reading between the lines. Anyway your game has potential, and I'm sure others will be here willing to chip in :)

Cassiebsg

Somehow I knew it would sound like "the sims"... make friends = the sims... lol
Don't worry, even though there's food, I'm not set that the character will have to eat and sleep to survive. ;)

Take friends as achievements... kind of like in the old Sierra games, where you would get points as you solved problems, but was possible to finish the game with like 200 out of 500 points.
As for the dialogs and "endless" options, yes, that's more or like where I want to take it, so that your choices will have an impact, and not just the usual "have to try all dialog options, even if I don't get anything out of it besides funny lines and such". Like for instance saying the wrong thing might one guy not want to be your friend, and that's one you won't get. Saying another thing to another might get you that friend but stop you from getting another one... or getting friend A before friend B, might get B impossible to get, but the other way around, then you can get both. ;)

As you may have guessed, I don't really have a story fully developed yet, I have an idea on how I want things to go, and I do one screen/room at a time. Story is progressing the same way... slowly...
Also right now the story is very down to earth, nothing weird about it (am using my own experiences of summer camp and one of my favorite locations for screen inspirations) , but it's not a sure thing yet, might just get a bit "crazy" half way.

Right now my priority in help would be: Art (as I can concentrate on scripting, and not stop to do BGs and sprites), then Story/Dialogs (once the game is more advanced, and more "intelligent" line are required), then sound/music and last voices (no point getting voices, if the dialogs aren't in place).

And yes, guess I don't really know the meaning of making a small game (was just meant to be small, so I could learn AGS...) :D

Oh, I don't really have a deadline, since I have no idea when or where I'm going. But as soon as possible would be my wish.

Slasher

Hi,

Whilst the general idea about making friends sounds good, could it not lead to just choosing a character's dialog option and hoping he'll be your friend? This seems all 'take a chance'. If there were clues along the way to peoples friendship compatibility with you it would help choose the right option.

EG
John collects stamps (someone mentioned it to you or you saw a book about stamps John was reading): Dialog Option 'Talk to John about stamp collecting.' for example would make you and John friends, other options would not etc etc

These are just my thoughts.

Good luck with the project ;)

Cassiebsg

Thanks slasher, will keep that in mind. :)
Though not all will be just dialogs, some may require you to do some tasks, find items, and so on. Otherwise I would be bored with my own game, as I'm not that much into dialogs. Rather solve puzzles. ;)

Adeel

Quite an interesting concept, Cassiebsg. I'm hoping to play it someday! :)

AprilSkies

Hey Cassiebsg,
cool!
Happy to see the game you're working on and very interesting concept.
It could be a great game and i'm looking forward to play it.

Unfortunately I can't help because i'm too busy with other project... The projects I'm working on reached a "critical mass".
But it's so interesting I think you'll easly find someone who's going to help you.

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Cassiebsg

Made a little video of my first animation dialog. :)
I know, not that big of a deal, but just felt like sharing.

Cassiebsg

Been a while since I started this thread and last updated it... :-[
Rest assured this project is NOT dead, just moving at the rate of a snail... or slower... (laugh)

Anyway, for those that don't follow the BG Blitz competitions, I thought I would post the BGs made for this game in it's actual thread!

So here they (in order of creation):

A very special house:

The village our hero will be able to wonder into on his free time. ;)

Uhm... okay not as many as I remembered (roll), I'm missing one but since I never actually solved a problem with it it's not "finished"... (laugh)
Anyway, this (was suppose to be) "little" project has grown to be full size and I have decided that this is now what my aim is, art wise.

I'm still looking for help with the game. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk