Video resolution size

Started by TeaAdventure, Wed 22/10/2014 05:43:27

Previous topic - Next topic

TeaAdventure

I have just watched all of densmings ags tutorials on youtube and read the wiki, forums, and google searched a bunch of stuff for the last couple of days. I'm finally starting to make my game following desmings tutorials to guide me. 

I want my game to look 1280x720 and run well so whats the best way to do that? Should I change the color depth to 32 bit? Do you think I should stay in 16 bit?

I want to start at a resolution that will look good when I scale it different sizes. Keep in mind that the backgrounds I want are gonna be huge. I don't think 320x200 will cut it.

When I use 1024 x 768 res to run the game I just wish there was more width. If I finish the game and resize it lets say 4x or fit the screen will it show me more of the background that I couldn't see in 1024 x 768?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: TeaAdventure on Wed 22/10/2014 05:43:27
When I use 1024 x 768 res to run the game I just wish there was more width. If I finish the game and resize it lets say 4x or fit the screen will it show me more of the background that I couldn't see in 1024 x 768?
No, it does not work like this.
Game resolution is all what you (and players) will see. What scaling does is making things look larger. For example, you may scale 320x200 game x4 up to 1280x800, but that does not mean you will have 4 times more content, it means that every pixel of the game will be replaced with 4x4 pixels. This is used to make it easier for people to play low-resolution games on big monitors. It's like viewing the game under the magnifying glass... well, I hope you got my meaning :).

Latest official version of AGS (3.3.2) supports only 1024x768 resolution max. The upcoming version 3.4.0 will support any resolution. There will be an alpha (WIP) release made soon.
Also: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51170.0

Regarding color depth, 32-bit is definitely better for hi-res. It will take more computer resources too, but that should not be a problem in our times.

selmiak

exactly, except that 4x scaling replaces 1 pixel with 16 pixels (1x1 pixel scales to 4x4 pixels).

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 22/10/2014 08:29:35
exactly, except that 4x scaling replaces 1 pixel with 16 pixels (1x1 pixel scales to 4x4 pixels).
I might not be fully awake yet :D. Fixed.

TeaAdventure

Thanks for the replies. I think I get what you're saying. I would like to try that release when it comes out. Hopefully it's stable cause I will most likely make my game on that since I can choose any resolution.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk