Selling game art?

Started by Mouth for war, Wed 07/01/2015 21:25:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

I hope this fits in the general discussion,if not I'm sorry :) So I had an idea today...I'm fairly confident in the 3D graphics I can make. Is there a market to sell 2d sprites? Like animated characters and such. My idea would be to display some samples (Objects,buildings,characters,walkcycles etc) on a webpage to show people what I can do and also take requests, like if someone would like special animations for a specific character I made. So is there a market for that you think? I know how much people want to make games but don't have the art skills. I would also take requests if someone would like a character or object in a topdown perspective instead...or isometric or whatever :D

I think this could be good enough for example to sell if someone needed an animated guy for a game...and this was made pretty fast I might add...I could tweak it more if needed (Not looking for critics...just saying hehe)

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

NickyNyce

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51487.0

I would imagine that there is for 2D pixel art, but I figure if you're messing around with 3D BG's, you're probably able to do characters as well. I'm guessing that people would like to have characters handed to them, but that comes with every possible view too. They would need it all...walk, talk, crouch, die, laugh, run, open...etc, for every character.

But I think the real question is how much are people willing to spend for it.

Mouth for war

Yeah money is always a problem...but I wasn't planning on charging the hell out of people though if anyone would like me to do something for them :)

Mandle

That's a pretty sweet-looking character and animation: Love the bad-ass swagger he's got going on there. Kinda reminds me of Snake Plissken...

Mouth for war

Thanks :D Yeah I'll see if this will generate anything :) I did get an e-mail from someone who was interested in my service though, so who knows ;)

Darth Mandarb

I have always maintained that there's a market for just about ANYthing. 

To me it's always been about time and place (timing).

I mean; look at things like the pet rock, or angry birds... these are things that, when looked at objectively, you scratch your head wondering how/why they made some person a millionaire.  But they did!

You never know what will be a hit and take off or what will fizzle out before it gets any attention.

My advice?  Go for it... you can't succeed at it if you don't make the effort!  I have some projects out in the ether of the 'net that have been pretty successful (okay, like 2 or 3) but I have a PILE of failed projects that I thought, at the time, were the next big thing.  You just never know!

Hobo

You might want to take a peek at GameDev Market. Never used it myself, so I have no idea if it's any good. Also, lurking around in different recruitment or portfolio threads in bigger gamedev forums may sometimes be useful.

And Darth Mandarb is right, there's a market for everything, just look at Fiverr.

Mouth for war

Yeah I will check it out! I don't know if I'll get any business, but I will try, and also try to be cheap(Compared to those who do it for a living hehe)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk