SPRITE JAM (RESULTS IN!!!): PORTALS (Door Jam)

Started by Mandle, Tue 03/02/2015 13:17:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

So, after all the insane fun of Pindorama's last Sprite Jam I feel slightly terrified to be hosting this next one:

But here it is, and the theme is:

PORTALS   
   (Door Jam)   

Almost every adventure game has some kind of portals to take your character from one place to the next: They might be simple wooden doors, giant metallic hatches, cracks in cavern walls, fissures in the fabric of reality, or even the orifices of bovines' bodies...

But, whatever they are, they excite us players! We crave to know what is just beyond that next door, just through that too-high-to-reach window, or just under our feet through that mysterious trapdoor...

More often than not these portals prove difficult to open, but once we have finally gained access to them our brave little adventuring hearts go into overdrive, a smile lights up our faces, and we traverse the previously impenetrable barrier, eyes wide open for whatever further wonders await us on the other side...

In short: WE FRIGGIN' LOVE DOORS!!!

Of course though, the term "door" is a bit limiting and that is why I named the theme "Portals" instead.

So yeah: Any damn thing you can go through to get into another area...Be it a door, window, magic mirror, trapdoor, hatch, secret bookcase/fireplace passage, wormhole, porthole, mouse-hole, asshole, rabbit-hole, a hole you smashed through the wall yourself, or even books in a magical library that you can get sucked into (although I doubt anyone would be crazy enough to come up with a game based on that concept)...

Whatever the portal actually is is fine by me...

It's merely an embodiment of our basic desire to see what is awaiting us just beyond our range of vision...

There are a few things I would like to see however which could therefore add to your final score ranking.

So...Let's talk about:

THE BONUSES

Firstly, and briefly, the reason for these bonuses:
I believe that contests such as Sprite Jam are a whole load of fun. But I also believe that they can provide valuable resources for game developers to tap into, especially with something as basic to adventure games as "doors". I really hope that this theme can provide sprites that the community can actually plug into game projects (credited properly of course I also hope)... If you wish for your work to remain exclusively for your own use then this is of course fine, but please say so clearly in your entry's post...

BONUS #1: RESOLUTION
It would be nice if Sprites entered could be based on an available AGS game resolution and this resolution mentioned when the sprite is entered in the contest. Just say anything like 320x240, 640x480, etc. This is to give developers wishing to use the sprite a context to choose from. So if you are doing a normal human-sized door in 640x480 don't make it too huge or too small basically (and yeah I know about scaling and perspective but I doubt anyone is entering with a sprite 300 meters in the distance)-----KA-CHING +5 points!!!

BONUS #2: ANIMATION
It would be wonderful if your sprite could be animated, showing the portal in action. You don't have to of course, but those who go the extra mile will achieve:
KA-CHING +5 points!!! for an opening/closing animation of at least two frames (open view and closed view) and a further:
KA-CHING +5 points!!! for every extra frame of animation added up until a total of five frames (open view, closed view, plus three intermediate frames)
(If anyone goes the additional extra mile and provides unique opening and closing animations they will receive the extra points)
KA-CHING +5 points!!! for providing a viewable gif of the animation, or link to the animation offsite.
KA-CHING +5 points!!! for providing all the animation frames (might want to use the [ /hide] feature here if large/many)

BONUS #2: DEMONSTRATION
This means demonstrating how your sprite looks against an appropriate background in the resolution you previously provided. This is not Background Blitz so the background does not have to be your own work. It merely has to be a good example of how your portal looks/animates against a background of the appropriate resolution:
KA-CHING +5 points!!! for a static image of your portal sprite against a background of appropriate resolution.
KA-CHING +10 points!!! for an animated gif (or link to offsite animation) of your portal sprite against a background of appropriate resolution.

(But please also provide your sprite free from the background as well)

Obviously, the entrants that can provide Resolution, Animation, and Demonstration (R.A.D.) will start with an advantage but the real decider will be:

THE VOTING

This will work the same as it did in the previous Sprite Jam:

Once voting is opened every voter will be asked to provide their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd favorite choices...

If your sprite is chosen by someone for 1st place: KA-CHING +15 points!!!
If your sprite is chosen by someone for 2nd place: KA-CHING +10 points!!!
If your sprite is chosen by someone for 3rd place: KA-CHING +5 points!!!

And now we talk about:

THE TROPHIES

There will be trophies for first, second, and third placers, and souvenirs for all participants...

First Place Second Place Third Place

Trophies created by the incredible I<3Pindorama and, strangely enough, delivered by some scary Russian dude...

And here is the souvenir available to all entrants:

Souvenirs also created by the unstoppable I<3Pindorama and, strangely enough, delivered by Mr. freakin' T...

Well, now that you have the framework, don't be a knob!
The success of this contest hinges on your entries!
It would be a real pane if this contest just sat on the windowsill...
So get your foot in the door before it gets JAMMED!!!

LET THE CONTEST BEGIN!!!

VOTING OPEN

So yeah, I'll probably have more time to make this voting stage of the contest a bit more presentable over the weekend, including tallying all the bonus points for each entry and so forth, but for now here are the entries:

JWALT:
[imgzoom]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/jwalt10705/specialKFin1_zpsybjev2ky.gif[/imgzoom]

MATTI:
With background:
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/4T3pouV.png[/imgzoom]

Portal sprite:
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/OpFQ8Cc.png[/imgzoom]

MISJ':
[imgzoom]http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa412/misj1270/Misj_SpriteJam_20150215-portalOpen_zpsqnm1vthm.gif[/imgzoom]

CASSIEBSG:

With background:
[imgzoom]http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/Cassiebsg/Misc/toilet2_o1.png[/imgzoom]

Animated Portal sprite:
[imgzoom]http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/Cassiebsg/Misc/toilet2_oa.gif[/imgzoom]

I<3PINDORAMA:

I wasn't quite sure how to present this entry as it is an entire multimedia exhibition in itself...Please check the original entry on page three of this thread for the full experience.

So I chose what I thought was the best example of with background and without:

With animated background:
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/ydIiLxX.gif[/imgzoom]

Portal sprite:
[imgzoom]http://goo.gl/qLiX7r[/imgzoom]

When voting please post your 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place choices...Some personal notes on your choice of each entry are always appreciated but not mandatory...

RESULTS   
   (Door Jam)   

I have tallied all the scores and so here we go:

JWALT:
RESOLUTION: +5
ANIMATION: +30
DEMONSTRATION: +10

1ST PLACE VOTES: 1 x 15 = 15
2ND PLACE VOTES: 1 x 10 = 10
3RD PLACE VOTES: 1 x 5 = 5

TOTAL: 75

MATTI:
ANIMATION: NA
DEMONSTRATION: +5

2ND PLACE VOTES: NA
3RD PLACE VOTES: NA

TOTAL: 25

MISJ':
ANIMATION: +35
DEMONSTRATION: NA

2ND PLACE VOTES: 2 x 10 = 20

TOTAL: 80

CASSIEBSG:
ANIMATION: +35
DEMONSTRATION: +10 (I'm counting the two open/closed frames as acceptable animation)

2ND PLACE VOTES: 1 x 10 = 10

TOTAL: 80

I<3PINDORAMA:
RESOLUTION: NA
ANIMATION: NA
DEMONSTRATION: +5

1ST PLACE VOTES: NA
2ND PLACE VOTES: NA

TOTAL: 10

So for points total we have a tie between Misj' and Cassiebsg...

In this case I think it's fairest to judge the winner as the entrant with the most points in the voting section:

So:

FIRST PLACE: MISJ'

SECOND PLACE: CASSIEBSG

THIRD PLACE: JWALT

I am sending trophies and souvenirs out to all winners and entrants

The Sprite Jam torch now passes to MISJ'!!!

Thanks for the fun contest all...

Cassiebsg

I like the theme... :)
Might give it a try, if I get a decent idea. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 03/02/2015 16:37:16
I like the theme... :)
Might give it a try, if I get a decent idea. (nod)

I certainly hope you do...

Especially with the obvious advantage for the 3D modeller with the door opening/closing animation bonuses I think you are a natural!!!

Can't wait to see!

Kasander

What a disturbingly inspiring collage you've made, Mandle! :) Now all I can think is Doraemon-Shining crossover ;D

Mandle

Quote from: Kasander on Tue 03/02/2015 17:06:47
What a disturbingly inspiring collage you've made, Mandle! :) Now all I can think is Doraemon-Shining crossover ;D

Yeah I had a lot of fun with the collage...

Glad it had its intended (offsetting) effect...

Kasander

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 03/02/2015 17:17:04
Yeah I had a lot of fun with the collage...

Glad it had its intended (offsetting) effect...

It's brilliant. I'd love to play that kind of game or see a film like that. Anyway, a nice theme for a Jam. If only I had any other ideas beside Doraemon taking blood shower... :D

Mandle

Quote from: Kasander on Tue 03/02/2015 17:37:54
If only I had any other ideas beside Doraemon taking blood shower... :D

There is no rule that the montage material cannot be incorporated into the finished product...

DO IT!!!

I<3Pindorama!

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 03/02/2015 13:17:32
I just have to PM I<3Pindorama now and call in a favour to get them ready so stand by on these please...
Spoiler

Spoiler

HAHAHAHAHAHA
MANDLE SEU SACANA!

This was your revenge, right?

[close]
[close]

jwalt

I'm probably getting ahead of myself, here, going through the portal before I know where I'm heading. I have some additional thoughts, and I'll try to update, but I need to figure out, exactly, how to do what I have in mind. I also need to add some more stuff to bring it into compliance with the rules.

If Myst had been made in the Kindle era...

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/jwalt10705/doorJam1_zpsdu9za5ki.gif

A portal to my Blitz entry?

640x480. An Anim8or model/render. The wood texture is something out of a Carrara Tutorial.

Edit1:

Fired Bryce up and made a gif fly-around.

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/jwalt10705/gas2_zpsopalmjxa.gif

Don't think either Anim8or or Bryce can "play" a gif file on a surface, so I'll have to do some manual labor for a work around. Trees and shrubs are from Bryce, as are the textures used in gas station.

Edit2:

Got the fly-around into the Kindle:

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/jwalt10705/specialK1_zpsqxqxzjlm.gif

Now, need to figure out how to make the transition. How to make the portal work...

Edit3: I think I'm done?

I'm going to drop the img tags for the earlier attempts, but I'll leave the links so if you want to look at the WIPs, feel free. Hopefully, that'll knock down the time required to load the page.

Mandle

Looking quite amazing there jwalt! And a very interesting take on the theme! Myst portal books as Kindles!

Mandle

Quote from: jwalt on Tue 03/02/2015 23:00:09

THAT IS WEEPINGLY, BEAUTIFULLY WONDERFUL!!!

Congratulations on the amazing entry jwalt! I hope some strong competition comes along soon to make your hard work work even harder...

Also: That had better be for a game project as well because:

I WANNA PLAY THE ABSOLUTE SHIT OUTA THAT!!!

ZanG EX

Ðâ€"дÃ'â,¬ÃÂ°ÃÂ²Ã'Ã'‚вÃ'Æ'йÃ'‚е ...

ПожалÃ'Æ'йÃ'Ã'‚а

У менÃ' еÃ'Ã'‚Ã'Å' пакеÃ'‚ длÃ'
Mr.MANDLE

Mr.MANDLE здеÃ'Ã'Å'?

Ðâ€"дÃ'â,¬ÃÂ°ÃÂ²Ã'Ã'‚вÃ'Æ'йÃ'‚е
?

MR.MANDLE ?

ВЫ Ðâ€"ДЕСЬ MR.MANDLE ?

ÐÅ"ИСТЕР. MAAAANDLE !!!

ВОТ ДЕРЬÐÅ"О ...
НА ЭТОТ РАÐâ€" ЦЕНТРАЛЬНАЯ не могÃ'Æ' пожаловаÃ'‚Ã'Å'Ã'Ã' СО ÐÅ"НОÐâ,,¢ ...
Я Ã'Ð´ÐµÐ»Ð°Ð» Ã'Ã'‚о иÃ'Ð¿Ã'â,¬ÃÂ°ÃÂ²ÃÂ¸Ã'‚Ã'Å' ВРЕÐÅ"Я

Spoiler

Open the package?
Spoiler
:shocked: Oh-oh... you are swindled!

Oh God!
They will deduct from my salary!

:tongue: ...
Spoiler
First Place Second Place Third Place
Spoiler

Yeeeeeeeeey!!
[close]
[close]
[close]
Ticket
Spoiler
[close]
[close]

Mandle

Jesus Pindo! I thought the KGB had finally caught up with me for a second there!

Cheers for the trophies! They look amazing! Adding to first post...

I<3Pindorama!

Sorry for the delay of delivery ...
I had no money to pay for the fast shipping!  :tongue:

For Real... I'm glad that been to your liking.
Thank you for your confidence!
It is a great honor for me!

The inspiration came from Egypt ... I mean, in the Art History classes at Fine Arts College. Studying the law of frontality I learned about the importance of the eyes and vision in Egyptian culture . You know... they considered this "organ" as the "Window of the Soul" and this aspect had a strong impact on my mind.

In fact the view is a major portal not only to inner the soul, as well so that our soul can "travel" to inside of another souls and worlds. Who not "traveled" after look a work of art, a landscape or the face of another person? And when I say "vision" I'm not restricting the eyes as a exclusive portal to perceive the wonders and mysteries of life. Because even with his eyes closed we can make this journey... and always (or almost) performed at the moment that we enter in the dreams...and there are thousands of ways to close the "eyes"... psychoactive substances, religions, meditation, sex, love, arts, places and play adventures... this make AGS one PORTAL to creation and consume of windows of fantasies and pleasures. ;)

Over the years I have learned (and still learning) that we need see the world through our senses in a deep concept...  we must have "hands" insides of the "eyes" as well as "eyes" in the "fingertips", "tongue", "nose" and fundamentally in the "heart". These are the portals that we need to keep open in order that we can access the infinite that the existence of each thing contains and also stored in our own soul.

In the early days of my youth I had the delight to read an essay that also touched me deeply. This essay was written in 1968 (I think) for a magazine called "EYE". The author was an american beatnik poet, visionary and wild like was Rimbaud (my opinion) ... he eventually sang in a transcendental rock band and they even record some discs and find a relative sucess. The band's name was a reference to the famous book by Aldous Huxley and also the quote from the english poet William Blake that inspired him :

"If the doors of perception are cleansed every thing would Were Appear to man it is the Infinite..."

As I only had this essay in the pages of book and translated to portuguese i had to look in the web ... should be easy, but it wasn't ... but my persistence was rewarded. Curiously behold, I found th text in english on the blog of another brazilian.

The poet's name is James Douglas Morrison... or "Jim"...  :P

Here some songs of the band The Doors that somehow address
the theme of this contest:

My Eyes Have Seen You
http://youtu.be/TTgzWcLB00w
Break On Through
http://youtu.be/WxEdNMPyt6U

Maybe this way to view the life is not compatible with the eyes of many (no one wrong)...
But friends, it's worth the reading :

Spoiler

He sought exposure, and lived the horror of trying to assemble a myth before a billion dull dry ruthless eyes. Leaving his plane, he strode to the wire fence, against the advice of his agents, to touch hands. Standing close to appeal his invitation for admire him worship or weapons. The constant unspoken interior knowledge, that his body was target every public second. Charged murderous awareness of beasts. New nerves of sensation flowered on his neck spine garden. When he looked at you, they said, he stripped back your skull. Naturally. For well wishing admirer smiles easily hide death behind cat teeth. Not paranoia or beyond grave carelessness, but a fine sensuous knowledge of violence in an eternal present.

Cyclops. People who resemble primitive lizards have a jewel within their skull. Called the pineal gland, it is located inside the brain at the juncture of the two hemispheres of cerebellum. In some this third vestigial eye is still sensitive to light.

The eye resists detached analysis. Realize that the eyes actually are two soft globes floating in bone.

The impressions are seeing me.

Ask anyone what sense he would preserve above all others. Most would say sight, forfeiting a million eyes in the body for two in the skull. Blind, we could live and possibly discover wisdom. Without touch, we could turn into hunks of wood.

The eye is a hungry mouth
That feed on the world.

Architect of image worlds

in competition with the real.

There are twin planets
in the skull.

The eye is god. And the world,
for it has its equator.

Pluck out the animal's eye in the dark and set it down before an object, clear and bright, a window against the sky. The outline of this image is engraved on the retina, visible to the naked eye. This excised eye is primitive camera, the retina's visual purple acts as emulsion.

Kühne, following his success with rabbits, was presented the head of a young guillotine victim. The eye was extracted and slit along the equator. The operation was performed in a special red and yellow room. Retina of the left eye offers a sharp but ambiguous image, impossible to define. He spent the next years in search for its meaning, the exact nature of the object, if it was an object.

Windows are eyes of the house. Peer out of your prison body, other peep in. Never a one-way traffic. Seeing always implies the possibility of damaged privacy, for as eyes reveal the huge external world, our own infinite internal spaces are opened for others.

What is the fate the eyes during sleep? They move constantly, like spectators in a theatre.

The pupils dilate during abnormal states. Drugs, madness, drunkenness, paralysis, exhaustion, hypnosis, vertigo, high sexual excitement. The eye finding its ocean after the idea of oceans has ended.

Enkidu was a wild man, an animal among animals. One day a woman exposed her nakedness to him at a watering hole, and he responded. That day he left with her to follow the arts of civilization.

Mates are chosen first by visual appeal. Not odour, rhythm, skin. It is an error to believe that the eye caress a woman. Is a woman constructed out of light or of skin? Her image is never real in the eye, it is engraved on the ends of the fingers.

In the Ars Magna, Great Work, the Alchemist creates the world in his retort.

The eyes are the genitals of perception, and they too have established a tyranny. They have usurped the authority of the other senses. The body becomes a thin awkward stalk to support the eye on its rounds.

Why should the eyes be called windows of soul and key to deepest human communion, and touch denied as mild collisions of flesh.

The body is not the house, it is the inside of the house.The blind copulate, eyes in their skin.
The eye is light at rest.

(Do we create light in the eye? Is light our own, or from the world?)

In Egyptian mythology the eye is symbol of Osiris, or from Horus; and the sun god Ra.

Ptah gave birth to men from his mouth, the gods from his eyes.

City-temple of Brak (3000 B.C.). Discovered thousands of small flat human faces of black and white alabaster, without nose, mouth, ears, but with engraved and carefully painted eyes. Called the Eye Temple: to house these offerings to a divinity.

Oedipus. Reality of her naked breasts. Her body. You have looked upon those you ought never to have looked. Eyes gouged with a broach from the dress of dead Jocasta.

Punish the eyes. Shrivelled breasts of an old woman. He is led from village to village by a young boy. And everywhere they wait on his words.

Tiresias, said to have spent seven years as a woman, came upon Athene in the forest, bathing. She darkened the intruding eyes.

Saul of Tarsus on the Road to Damascus. Blindness elevated him to St. Paul.
Why is blindness holy?

Alchemy offers man an original heroism. The Mani taught that man was created as a helper by the messenger of Supreme God of Light to assist by his life and efforts in gathering the scattered, thereby weakened, atoms of light and lead them upward. For light has shone into the darkness and wasted itself and is in grave danger of being swallowed wholly.

Man can assist in the salvation of light.

The process of transforming base metals into gold is called projection.

In dim light, form is sacrificed for light. In bright light, light is sacrificed for form.

Code of light. The eye is sick. Pluck it out. The doctor removes the eye to save the body. To do this, he must sewer the optic nerve connecting eye with brain. Before anaesthesia, it was often reported that the pass of the scalped created light instead of pain.

Gradually, objects are constructed outside the body.

The eye arises from light, for light. Indifferent organs and surfaces evolve into their unique form. The fish is shaped by water, the bird by air, the worm by earth. The eye is a creature of fire.

by James Douglas Morrison.
Published in 1968, in the "Eye Magazine".
[close]

Mandle, the chosen theme is really tempting ... I'm yin;)

AprilSkies

www.apemarina.altervista.org

I<3Pindorama!

PORTALS   
   (Door Jam)   

Man, I forgot to express ...
The title of the contest was DO CARA-ALHO!

I was noticing now ... the image not only represents a "window" but also refers to "cabinets".
And many boys and girls take as a portal to be avoided... i think...
Except of course if they are fans of Pixel's movies and C.S. Lewis's books! :P

Mandle

Quote from: I<3Pindorama! on Sat 07/02/2015 13:24:38
The poet's name is James Douglas Morrison... or "Jim"...  :P

As a much younger man I had the honour to visit this man's grave in Paris before he was evicted for disturbing the peace even whilst resting in it...

The Lizard King has always been one of my idols...

He can do anything!

I<3Pindorama!

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑÎâ,,¢ÃŽÅ"ΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ...

What a wonderful, Mandle! !
I wanted to have dipped this portal too ...

Anyway, sooner or later ... somehow ... we all break on through to the other side... yeah ;)

Mandle

Come on guys and girls...

Doesn't anyone else want to draw a freakin' awesome door?

Crap...did I choose a lame theme for my one shot at hosting a contest??? :~(

I<3Pindorama!

Doors, windows, rip...
Slit, Art...in(land)...
One (?) outsider in intrinsic dimensions ...
I don't know cause... i not finished yet...
I need go deeper outward in order that
the protagonists of this mutual dream
close your eyes and wakeup in two
distinct realities... inside me... and...
inside you...
so...
please...
don't
zoom...
not yet...
Spoiler
:P
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk