Homestuck(ish) walk cycle

Started by Anshinin, Fri 13/02/2015 18:59:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Anshinin

So really I just want some feedback as to if this walk cycle I made to kind of emulate some of the homestuck sprite styles (it's not a fan character, it's just drawn and animated in a similar manner)

Here's the character himself, and then CLICK HERE for the whole walk cycle.

This isn't really a !!how does my character look!! thing, I just want it to know if the walk cycle looks alright for the art style. In the game it looks pretty good but I want some outside feedback, especially on whether I should put arms on the backsprite.

Once I get that feedback I'll adjust accordingly and also post the female character my game with the same layout (since they have the same body) and ask for feedback on that too.

cat

Could you post an animated gif of the walkcycle? From the frames alone it's hard to judge.

Anshinin

Yes! :cool:

The other directions are the same idea just flipped. I can also post a quick demo of the game if seeing it in game would be better.

Lasca

Hi anshinin! I think the walking suits the graphic style well, but the upper body feels a bit stiff. I would like to see some movement in the arms and head!

GreenBeams

Hey Anshinin =)

Firstlyt, i'll apologise as i'm not familiar with the style but just in general I'd say that as long as you stick to the 4 major walk cycle positions, you can't go wrong:

All the best!

Dropped Monocle Games

I am also not familiar with the style so maybe you want something different but I had a quick go at making a walk cycle with a bit more movement for you.
hopefully this will be helpful, if you want it I can also link the sequence so you can see it frame by frame?

Anshinin

Oh wow that actually doesn't look bad at all :shocked: The head is a bit cut off at the chin but can I see those frames please? Something like this would probably work out perfectly if I could implement it efficiently (there's also another girl character that runs the same body template.)

Dropped Monocle Games

yeah, it was a rushed job just to give you an idea :)
here is an album with the frames

Anshinin

How do you rotate the arms without much distortion? Whenever I rotate something like this in Photoshop it tends to distort it a bit.

And would you apply the same principles in making a backsprite?

Dropped Monocle Games

sadly I can't help you with advice on Photoshop, I use Anime Studio and sketchbook pro for 90% of my stuff.
I think with this style you would be fine with using the same principles for the backsprite :)

Synthetique

Hi. There's a couple ways to rotate pixel art in photoshop.
Edit > Preferences > General > Change image interpolation to Nearest Neighbor.
If you don't like how it turns out, you can do it like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljikEAfnfUA

EchosofNezhyt

http://info.sonicretro.org/RotSprite

Is good for lower rez stuff. Idk how it fairs with that. But changing the filter to NN in photoshop will stop it from blurring the lines.

Sox stuff edit looks great and it prolly wasn't that involved. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk