AGS Awards Ceremony Client App - Feedback, bug reports, suggestions

Started by Snarky, Mon 02/03/2015 01:42:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Quote from: Mods on Sat 07/03/2015 12:01:30
Who is that stood next to OceanSpirit Dennis? Is it John Sinclair?

Haha, really?
Hint: You made not one but two (well, one-and-a-half) movies about him, Mods! :P

Thanks to everyone who's expressed interest (even if you can't make it). Yes, given the response so far, you can consider the time confirmed, AprilSkies. (Sorry Gurok!)

selmiak

due to recent developments I probably won't make it. Have fun!  ;-D

Yol

There are, 3 pm in Italy? Tomorrow put the link? hi (roll)
I do not know English well I could make mistakes in writing

AprilSkies

Ciao Yol!
In Italy we are GMT+1, so it's 4 pm (16.00)

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Snarky

Updated first post with download link. See you in two and a half hours!

Edit: BTW, when we run the beta test, in order to push the limits it would be nice to have as many participants as possible. What you can actually do is run multiple clients at the same time:

(I wouldn't try more than three in parallel, though - or two if you're also running an IRC client. It seems to lock up if you try to open too many connections.)

Gurok

"Too many sprites have been added to the sprite list. There is a limit of 75 objects and characters being visible at the same time" when I try to click on the mystery figure or the New Profile text after launching it :/
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Snarky

Huh, that's weird! It seems to be working for others, so why is it crashing for you?

Gurok

Ah, was just about to edit. I get that error when selecting DX9 mode. It's fine in DX5 mode. That's probably an issue to consider for the general release though.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Snarky

Aha! OK, great. I'll look into it, but for now, just use DX5.

Snarky

I've updated the client build to a new version. Please download and use that one!

Snarky

moloko

Downloading, albeit very slowly. Thanks for doing all this, Snarky. I can imagine this being an enormous effort to make everything work out, and it looks amazing.

Stupot

[forget it. I posted an image here that wouldn't load]

I've gotta go to bed now. Night all x

Cassiebsg

Is dwl so slow because everyone is downloading, or is dropbox normally this slow? 8-0
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

cat

So, was it successful? Did you crash the server? (laugh)

straydogstrut

There were some issues still to resolve but it's looking wonderful :-D I'm constantly amazed at the creativity and ingenuity of folks around here and the AGS Awards just seem to go from strength to strength. Good job Snarky!

Retro Wolf

My evil twin informs me that he had a good time.

Snarky

Thank you everybody for helping out!

As I'm sure you could tell, I've just built a little bit more on top of the app Dualnames made (based on Wyz's plugin)... while introducing a few new bugs of my own.

Here's my list of reported bugs:

• Crash in Chat.asc, lines 92, 917, 1061: fixed
    • Crash with "Too many sprites have been added to the sprite list." on selecting avatar. Identified as DirectX9/Direct3D-specific (probably won't fix, just ensure winconfig set to DD5)
    • Crash with Array out of bounds (Index 2000, array 0...79) in repeatedly_execute(). Caused by malicious client. Will password-protect control channel and add additional safeguards in code
    • selmiak's client crashed after two hours, running in VM on Mac. Probably won't fix
    • A collection of likely related errors around syncing the remote characters: (will investigate/test)

• Avatar randomly(?) changes to the wrong scale. Not consistent across clients. I believe this only ever affects remote avatars? Will investigate
      • Avatar is identified by the wrong name. Not consistent across clients.
      • Character doesn't update to correct avatar. Not consistent across clients.
      • Character doesn't move when supposed to. Not consistent across clients.
      • Avatar doesn't disappear when client disconnects. Not consistent across clients.
    • Host managed to lose channel-op privileges (and therefore ability to control the multimedia), was forced to ask everyone to disconnect in order to regain them (and failed). User error, will register IRC channel to avoid in future.
    • Users who were kicked from the channel as part of this would get error when trying to rejoin. Will avoid in future by not kicking people out.
    • If host restarts category presentation, impossible to turn off music until category ends. Will fix.
    • A couple of crashes with the bot if it's not the first to join the channel. Fixed.
    • Bot known to have other, serious bugs that have never been tracked down. Could not replicate, will investigate further.
    • On Program menu, not obvious that you could expand to see list of categories and nominees. May redesign.
  • Question about whether people would be able to laugh/clap during games presentation. I'm looking into changing how this works so you'll be able to applaud nominees, but it's not a top priority right now.

There was also a general call for more different music and more images/animations. Some people also asked about adding more avatars. Yes, this is all still open! If there's music, pictures, animations or avatars you'd like for me to add, please send them to me! Some people also asked about the lesbian pictures from previous years. No, those are out, sorry.

Oh, and some people asked for Linux/Mac builds. I looked into this briefly before, but I'm not sure exactly what it takes to build it for those platforms, particularly given that it relies on a plugin. Also, I'm using a custom version of the engine that CrimsonWizard very kindly provided that fixes an otherwise annoying glitch with the scaling, where characters would jitter as they move. Maybe next year! (Unless one of you would like to have a crack at it, and I could just send you the project.)

If you have any other feedback: about bugs, about the music and sounds (volume ok?), graphics, walk cycles, etc., please let me know in this thread or over PM.

Tabata

It is just a wish but now seems to the best time to tell it:

If possible I'd prefer the font to be bigger where you type and read the chat completely (not needed on screen).
It's very hard for me to read when using windowed mode.   

Snarky

Yes, it could be done. Just one thing, though: were you running it just in the normal size without any filter, like in this screenshot?

Because for the ceremony itself (when there's no need to run multiple clients simultaneously), I would set the default filter to 2x, making it twice as big on screen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk